Home

(NFL Head Coach) The 2013 Season And Onwards, Rebuilding The Miami Dolphins

This is a discussion on (NFL Head Coach) The 2013 Season And Onwards, Rebuilding The Miami Dolphins within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 18
(NFL Head Coach) The 2013 Season And Onwards, Rebuilding The Miami Dolphins

The past five seasons have not been kind to the Miami Dolphins organization. After going 1-15 in 2007, it looked as if the Dolphins were going to set the ship right from 2008 onward.

They hired a promising young coach in Tony Sparano. They drafted a very powerful left tackle number one overall in Jake Long, as well as a solid corner in Brandon Flowers, plus the QB of the future in Brian Brohm.

Add that to acquisitions of Asante Samuel and Kawika Mitchell on defense, and bringing in Ken Dorsey to be the short term answer at quarterback, the Dolphins looked to be on the way up.

But the Dolphins would only gain one more win, finishing 2-14 in 2008. Management wasn't ready to give up on Sparano, and with the 2nd overall pick, the Dolphins drafted what was thought to be the man that would fix the defense. Defensive Tackle Lorenzo Spragan from Florida State.

Big mistake.

Spragan has had little to no success, and now is 10 million on the cap and has two very bad legs.

The Dolphins did show improvement in 2009, going 6-10. But that wasn't good enough, as management fired Sparano. The new head coach was the recently fired Mike Smith. Smith hadn't done anything in two years in Atlanta, but they felt he could fix the defense.

With the 7th pick in 2010, the Dolphins took Oklahoma WR Jamal Binger. Binger started slow, but by 2012, he justified his selection with 1,236 yards and 9 TD. They also traded up to the 30th pick swapping with the 49ers for DE Jay Bishop, who while not bad, hasn't been anything stellar, and likely never will be.

Despite Binger's pick, the Dorsey led Dolphins made no improvement in 2010, going 6-10 once again. In the next draft they chose CB Kelly Addai with the 10th overall pick, another mistake ultimately. Addai played 1 game in 2011, and showed failure a year later.

The Dolphins would go 5-11, and Mike Smith would get outed. The Dolphins didn't know where to go at head coach. But while Sparano was there, they had improved.

So they brought Tony Sparano back for another shot. With the 6th pick, they picked DT Charles Harrison in an effort to replace the error of Spragan, and so far, Harrison has shown to be solid.

But the 2012 season was perhaps the biggest disaster yet. The team went 1-15. Sparano was canned again, and the team looked very lost.

They still had Dorsey, who hadn't done much, to a large contract. Brian Brohm had hardly gotten to play, and it was obvious he'd been given up one. Jake Long and Brandon Flowers, the two strong players from the 2008 draft, wanted out.

Meanwhile on the other side of the country, Jordan Slocum had just taken the 49ers to an unbeaten season, and had won his 3rd Super Bowl in 5 years. Citing a desire for a "new challenge," he left the 49ers, who were ready for another run.

And he took over the Miami Dolphins.

There is obviously much work to do to make the 2013 Miami Dolphins even respectable. Not all hope is lost. They still had Jamal Binger and Charles Harrison, two young studs. Samson Satele is a strong center, and Asante Samuel remains a top corner.

But the contracts of Dorsey, Brohm, Spragan, Addai, David Thomas and a few others put the Dolphins in bad shape finacially. That, and both Jake Long and Brandon Flowers wanting out, only one can be retained with the franchise tag.

It's going to be a tough road...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
MVP

Re: (NFL Head Coach) The 2013 Season And Onwards, Rebuilding The Miami Dolphins

It was not long before players were released. Many of them were low end players making a little too much. SS Dewayne Sanford, LB Mike Love, RT Chris Torrence, LT Ed Rhodes, TE Jack Guy among them. The veteran back Travis Henry was cut.

Also, the massive contract of Lorenzo Spragan was terminated. After paying out the bonus of 7.5 million dollars, only 2.5 million was saved from the 10.0 M salary. But all of the money you can get is needed when you in this trouble.

With some money, the Franchise Tag was used. You need a Left tackle to start your offense, and Jake Long is too talented (96 OVR) to let walk. His deal is 9.9 M.

The salary cap is at 25.77 million. The Dolphins have the 2nd overall pick, and only their picks in other rounds. They do NOT have their 4th rounder however. Looking to trade anyone possible, but stuck so far.

Here is the roster. If possible, I like a run heavy offense with some west coast passing. My base D is a 3-4, but I run 4-3, 3-3-5, and dime interchangeably.

POS Name OVR Salary Yrs left Age Season Penalty
QB Ken Dorsey 85 7.7 M 2 31 9 6.7 M
QB Brian Brohm 77 4.9 M 4 27 5 6.0 M
QB

HB Marcus Mercer 85 1.1 M 2 23 2 760 K
HB Cletis Parker 70 630 K 3 24 1 380 K
HB

FB

WR Jamal Binger 90 7.9 M 2 26 3 7.2 M
WR Carl Howry 77 920 K 1 25 3 180 K
WR Rohan Bryant 69 890 K 3 23 1 1.1 M
WR

TE David Thomas 76 2.6 M 5 29 7 6.3 M
TE Aundre James 65 420 K 2 24 1 340 K
TE

T Jake Long 96 9.9 M 1 28 5 None
T Mark Wilson 89 4.4 M 3 31 7 2.6 M
T

T

G Jacob Bell 81 1.4 M 2 31 9 None
G Brad Butler 82 2.5 M 1 28 7 1.0 M
G Brian Spitz 86 610 K 1 25 2 180 K
G

C Samson Satele 91 5.0 M 3 27 6 3.5 M
C

DE Jay Bishop 83 2.8 M 2 26 3 1.4 M
DE Charles Johnson 81 1.8 M 2 26 6 1.2 M
DE Jarvis Green 84 3.6 M 1 33 11 880 K
DE

DT Charles Harrison 86 6.9 M 4 24 1 6.4 M
DT Lorenzo Spragan 78 9.9 M 2 26 4 7.4 M
DT

OLB Kawika Mitchell 84 3.4 M 3 31 10 3.3 M
OLB Kevin Burnett 80 1.1 M 1 28 8 300 K
OLB

OLB

MLB Brandon Siler 80 1.2 M 4 26 6 1.4 M
MLB Bobby Carpenter 77 770 K 5 29 7 2.1 M
MLB Billy Stratton 76 970 K RFA 26 3 None
CB Asante Samuel 92 7.3 M 5 31 10 13.3 M
CB Kelly Addai 76 4.5 M 3 23 2 3.3 M
CB Jack Weaver 75 620 K 1 24 2 90 K
CB

CB

FS Eric Weddle 85 2.5 M 2 27 6 890 K
FS Rusty Rodgers 73 640 K 2 26 2 None
SS Michael Boulware 76 1.2 M 2 30 9 670 K
SS

K

P Adam Podlesh 83 600 K 1 29 6 250 K

Thoughts by position:

QB: Despite his high overall, Ken Dorsey BLOWS. He had a learning of 99 which gives him this overall. But he's a noodle arm (81) with mediocre accuracy (86) and low awareness (69). Brohm has better awareness, much better arm (91) and slightly worse accuracy. But Brohm can still develop into a good QB.

The bad thing is money. No one will take Dorsey's deal, and cutting him saves very little. Plus, Brohm is making a lot for an unproven QB.

I could go after one of two stud QB's available in the Draft, or stick with Brohm. I'd like to trade down from the 2 if possible, because I need lots of picks.

HB: Marcus Mercer is another high learning guy. But he's pretty much average in almost every aspect of the game. The wild card is Cletis Parker, who is basically a sprinter. He has GODLY speed, but is a true project.

Willie Parker would be the free agent play, and there is a high end draft play, but is HB the biggest need? Could Mercer suffice for now?

FB: No FB on the roster, and the rookies suck. There are a few solid blockers out there that will be signed.

WR: Binger is a stud, and Howry has a very high potential (89!) but is in his last year. The killer is Bryant. Terrible WR, terrible potential, but 840 K against the cap, and even moreso if I cut him.

WR class is weak in the draft, but free agent WR's are too pricey. I might stick with Binger and Howry and go from there.

TE: Although David Thomas is ok, his contract is BRUTAL. 2.5 M now for 5 years, and a HUGE signing bonus. He'll be on my roster for another few seasons. I'm kinda stuck with him as the starter.

T: Long is a stud. Wilson is another high learning guy, but he's good enough that I don't feel like spending on a replacement for him.

G: Spitz has a high potential in his last year. Bell and Butler are two average cuttable veterans. There are a few strong guards in the draft, but this could be a free agent play. Rondell Owens, Chris Snee, and Kris Dielman are the studs.

C: Satele is a solid center.

I will get to the defensive evaluation and staff evaluation tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
MVP

Defense:

DE: Bishop's alright, he'll start. But his potential is 85, he can't get much better. Johnson isn't worth what he's getting paid, but he'll probably stay because I wouldn't save much. Although Green is good, he's damaged goods. His overall health is below 50%. I'll probably get rid of him and save about 2.5 million.

DT: Harrison is the future, he's young and solid. I need a backup though.

OLB: Kawika Mitchell is still solid, but Burnett is very meh. Right now I'll keep him, but he's movable.

MLB: Siler's ok, Carpenter is very meh. But both guys have more signing bonus than total salary. So it costs money to get rid of them, meaning they both stay. Siler could maybe be my 2nd MLB, but either way, yikes.

CB: Samuel obviously solid. Addai is a bust, his potential only reaches 83. Right now I could save a million but I figure I'll keep him for one more year. Weaver is a much cheaper version of Addai, so he doesn't suck. Need a CB here, the draft is REALLY DEEP with corners this season.

FS: Weddle is solid, Rodgers is an ok backup

SS: Michael Boulware kinda blows. Can't save too much by cutting him, but I don't want to keep him as my starter.

K: I have none, and the draft isn't my saving grace. Hooray free agency.

P: Podlesh is fine.

Here's my staff.

OC Mike Sheppard (50): Only level 3 performance, and his development levels don't go past 3 with the exception of WR (where he's maxed) and QB physical. He does not have a single special skill.

DC John Mitchell (60): High play call/strategy and such, but also only a level 3 performance max. His developments are around 3 and 4 for most positions. Only has a few basic special skills.

ST John Bonamego (64): Performance is a ONE (Can go to 3) which is a yikes. His developments are all 4's, and he has the kick returner special skill. Any kicker with him will suck though.

QB Josh Looman (50): Hey! It's the producer of the game! His performance is level 3 but can max, developments are at 3 and can max to 4. He already has a few special skills as well. I'll probably promote him to OC next season.

RB Floyd Huffman (22): This KILLS me, because I know I will have NO RUN GAME AT ALL. His performance is a 1, and CAN'T IMPROVE. Developments are a 3 and can max to 4. No sepcial skills. He's gonna suck.

WR Chad Merriam (70): Performance only goes to 2. Most of his development is at 3 but can go to 5. He does have half of the special skills, which is a saving grace.

OL Tom Nalen (37): Former player who can improve. Only level two performance right now, but he can max to 5. His physical development only goes to 2, but his learning/intangibles go to 5 (and are at 4) He also has the pass and run block special skills.

LB Mike Haluchak (58): Performance only goes to 2. Development is solid, 4, 4, 3 (Max of 4, 5, 5) He also has a couple special skills.

DL Al Kennedy (53): Performance is 1 and can't go higher (Brutal) Development has all maxed at 4. No special skills.

DB Glenn Pires (33): Performance is a 2 and can go to 3. His development are all at 3, and can go to 4. He does have a few special skills surprisingly.

GM Bill "Garzoli" (33): They really aren't nice to Parcells. Has the small school insider, level 5 trade negotation. Contracts at 2 but can max. He can't scout offense for anything but can scout D solidly.

Trainer Andrew Lee (56): 2, 3, 3 with maxes of 3, 4 and 3. Has the first two special skills.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

dude the dolphins are mess from top to bottom... good luck man, looks like you're in for a long road ahead

OS Thread Link - Website Link
Old 02-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
MVP

3 more cuts were made, RG Brad Butler, FS Rusty Rodgers, and SS Michael Boulware.

My big free agency "Splash" was made signing G Rondell Owens. Owens is only 24, a complete beast, and can improve. I got him 5 years, 4.9 M against the cap now, only 4.0 total signing bonus. He's default as a LG, but I might play him at RT.

I also made a big trade. I wanted to get a safety who is a beast like Tyrus Barber was for me, and I found a vet. I traded over-rated RT Mark Wilson and the damaged Jarvis Moss to the Jets straight up for Kerry Rhodes.

Rhodes is in the final year of his deal, but I think he'll be worth it by what he does for the D.

Cap is at 24.15 M. No luck with other trades. The Raiders would be willing to give up a 3rd (75th) for my HB Mercer. I'm not sure yet there, because Mercer is a 85/91 player. I think I might find a draft guy just as good, but it's a risk. Haven't done it, but still considering.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
MVP

I move Owens to RT, and signed Marshal Yanda, who I moved to RG. My O-Line looks fairly solid now. I also signed MLB Akin Ayodele. He's not great, but he's better than what I have.

I did make some trades. The Raiders removed the deal for Mercer, but the Browns offered BETTER (67th instead of 75th plus a 7th next year) Needing the picks, and seeing solid draft prospects, I took it.

I also traded away worthless WR Rohan Bryant (69), took his cap hit just to get rid of him. I got HB Sugar Snider (81) from Buffalo, who I originally brought into the league.

He's not great, but this is. The Broncos were willing to give up the 81st pick to get Snider, which I jumped on.

Also, the game has always hated Vernon Davis, thus the 49ers signed Todd Heap. This put Davis on the block, and I brought him in. I gave away a 6th and a 5th next year. Seems steep, but he's worth it. I'll probably put him in the depth chart as my #2 WR behind Binger.

So here are my picks:

Draft Picks
1 2
2 34
3 66
3 67
3 81
5 130

Next
7 CLE

Don't imagine I'll do too much more moves before the draft. I have 19.08 million in cap room.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
MVP

Signed the best free agent kicker, Lawrence Tynes. Done with free agency, 17.18 M in cap room.

Draft ideas:

Spoiler
Old 02-16-2009, 10:32 PM   #8
Pro

OVR: 9

Can't wait to see what you do in the draft man

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »