Home

Taking off from New York (A Jets dynasty)

This is a discussion on Taking off from New York (A Jets dynasty) within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Taking off from New York (A Jets dynasty)

Ok I'm back.

Have been trying to get back into Head Coach by playing some of my old careers but I just haven't been able to get that same feeling as when I start a new career.

I have decided to go into the AFC and have plumped for the AFC East where I will attempt to topple the New England Patriots but taking the New York Jets to the top of the mountain.

I have decided to run a multi WR pass playbook. Normally what happens whenever I try to run a passing attack it is always my slot receiver that makes the most catches, however this time I have decided to use a playbook that I know uses lots of multiple WR sets, the Patriots Air Strike.

On defence, I normally run the 335. However I have decided that I am going to go for a more conventional playbook in the form of Jags Physical D.

So on with the show.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Taking off from Ney York (A Jets dynasty)

The New York Jets today announced the hiring of former Iowa defensive co-ordinator Demtrius Carter. Carter will take over immediately from Eric Mangini however due to time constraints will have to make do with Mangini's staff for this season.

Carter favoured a very high pressured defence while at Iowa, deploying his secondary in man coverage while expecting his front 4 to bring the pressure.

On offence not much is known about what Carter will bring but it is thought that he is likely to favour a heavy passing attack which will allow him to attack with his defence.

Name: DeMetrius Carter
OVR: 12
Personality: Guru
Skills: Performance - 4
Special Skill: Ambition
Charisma
Offensive Playbook: Patriots Air Strike
Defensive Playbook: Jags Physical D
Start Date: Off-Season
Old 07-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #3
Rookie

On all of the Coach hiring ones I put all of them on "Give up no control".
On all of the trade ones I put them on "Neutral" and Trading Philosophy on passive.
Draft: Draft Biggest Team Needs
Workouts Scouting: Scout Biggest Team Needs
Reg. Season Scouting: Team Needs Focus
Counter Offer: Cheap
Franchise Tag: Normal
GM Salary Cap: Prefers 1MIL in Cap Room
GM Re-Sign: Re-sign Based On Talent
GM RFA: Normal
GM Spending: Distribute evenly
General Negotiation: Low Ball
QB: Pure Passer
HB: Recieving
FB: Blocking
WR: Tall/Redzone
TE: Playmaker TE
Guard: Pass Blocker
Center: Pass Blocker
Tackle: Pass Blocker
DT: Balanced
DE: Undersized
OLB: Balanced
MLB: Balanced
CB: Man Coverage
FS: Balanced
SS: Balanced
K/P: Balanced
Team Building: Build Through NFL Draft
Blitz: Heavy
Pass Coverage: Man
Defensive Playbook Control: Head Coach
Defensive Scheme: 4-3
Offensive Playbook Control: Offensive Co-ordinator
Offensive Scheme: Vertical Passing
Start Rookie QB: Balanced
Start Rookie HB: Prefers to
Injury Playing Status: Aggressive

Last edited by cabowers; 07-06-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Rookie

Roster Overview

QB - Pennington and Clemens are both contracted for the upcoming season but neither really inspires me. Pennington has a noodle for an arm but is very accurate while Clemens would be lucky to hit a barn from 10 yards but will go through it once he hits it. If you could combine them you would probably have a decent QB. Clemens can be developed but his awareness is low and his learning is likely to hinder him. Definitely need to look at an upgrade.

HB - Thomas Jones is a decent ball pounder and is likely to be kept around as he can be used in the 4th quarter when I need to try and chew down some of the clock. As for a receiving HB I will have to look at the draft or free agency.

FB - No one on roster and really only likely to see work in goal line sets. May look at a big run blocking lineman from the draft.

WR - Cotchery and Coles lead the receivers and are serviceable. Coles can stretch the field anc Cotchery can work underneath. Both have decent hands and good CIT scores, however I will need to look at free agency or the draft to get some depth.

TE - Chris Baker is a mediocre TE and a new one will definitely be a need.

LT - The left hand side of my line is sorted for the next 10 years with D'Brickshaw Ferguson. Ferguson is a great pass blocker and a decent run blocker. This will allow me to concentrate on other areas come free agency and the draft.

LG - Neither Montgomery or Bender are good enough at the position and this will be area I have to look at strengthening.

C - Nick Mangold is a 2 year starter and it shows. Along with Ferguson, Mangold will anchor my line.

RG - Brandon Moore has a large contract and is likely to be around for a while even if it is just as a backup.

RT - Anthony Clement won't be tagged and as such this is another area I need to look at improving.

LE & RE - Converting a 3-4 team into a 4-3 team means re-evaluating the DLine and the Linebackers. All of the DEs have been moved to DT.

DT - Kris Jenkins and Shaun Ellis are serviceable at DT but I may try and find another couple later in the draft. After those 2 they are just oversized DEs trying to be DTs in the 4-3.

LOLB - Neither Bryan Thomas or David Bowens have the block shedding ability to drop down to DE and aren't good enough to play OLB.

MLB - David Harris is a good MLB who can patrol the middle of the field, he has the speed and pursuit skills to catch up to guys who get away. He is likely to put these to good use as his coverage skills are ok at best. The other 2 MLBs are career backups.

ROLB - Victor Hobson is out of contract and Matt Chatham isn't good enough.

CB - At least there is some quality in the corner back department. Darrelle Revis will hopefully create his own Revis Island in this reality while Justin Miller has flashed some quality but will likely have to step up his game if he wants to have playing time outside of nickle and dime. The rest of the CBs are poor in man coverage which will hurt the Jets.

FS - Erick Coleman is out of contract and Abram Elam isn't great.

SS - Kerry Rhodes provides some quality at SS.

K - Mike Nugent has a decent shot at keeping his job

P - Ben Graham isn't brilliant and an upgrade would be useful.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:22 AM   #5
Rookie

Franchise Tag

No one really required a tag.

Free Agency and Trades

FS Ken Hamin signed a 4 year deal worth $17M with $2.5M in signing bonuses.

The Jets traded with the Browns giving up the 165th pick and a 7th rounder next year to land QB Brady Quinn. Quinn who was drafted by the Browns the year before is likely to get a fresh start in New York.

Draft

So onto the draft, I had multiple needs and targets in mind.

Round 1
I need a running back who can catch the ball and is a threat. At 6 McFadden should still be available and will warrent serious consideration. As will Chris Long if he is still available at 6 however this is unlikely. Another player on the defensive side of the ball who is likely to be considered is ROLB Keith Rivers.

Round 2
What I do here is likely to be determined by what I do in round 1. If I take Chris Long then I will look at CB or WR. If i don't take Long I will likely look at Calais Campbell. Even if I do take Long, Campbell may still be the pick so that I can start one on either end of my line.

Round 4
With no picks in round 3 I will need to hope that a couple of my targets slide. If not I may have to take a guy early to make sure I fill gaps. Earl Bennet and Kevin Robinson are WRs I'm interested in while Anthya Rubin is a possibility at DT.

Round 5
Will see what is still around as will have to see who slides and who doesn't. If he is still available I may try and grab Craig Steltz. This will allow me to move Kerry Rhodes from SS to CB.

Round 7
Whatever is left on my shopping I will try and pick up from the bargin bin.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Rookie

Draft Day 1

1st Round, Pick 6
I had the choice of McFadden or Rivers here. I was struggling to make a decision as I also thought about moving down. I had multiple offers including only moving back a few spots but even dropping to 8 would probably mean both McFadden ad Rivers would be gone. The Panthers interested me with the offer of a 2nd rounder this year along with 1st and 2nds next and I decided to go for this offer.

2nd Round, pick 36
I originally thought of Calais Campbell at this position but I have a feeling he may be available to me with my 2nd 2nd rounder pick. Therefore I looked at other options. Having watched this guy fall into the 2nd round, I couldn't believe my luck as he allows me to solidify the right side of my OLine.
PICK - Sam Baker LT USC

2nd Round, pick 43
This was easy. It was a need and he is a quality rookie with tremendouse upside.
PICK - Calais Campbell RE Miami

4th Round, pick 99
I had seen both Earl Bennet and Early Doucet go off the board and my next WR target wasn't due until round 5. I looked and found my top TE had slid into the 4th so it was a simple pick.
PICK - Jermichael Finley TE Texas

4th Round, pick 110
The plan of taking Craig Steltz and moving Rhodes to CB went when he was taken a couple of spots before me. Needing another CB, I took the best available.
PICK - Zack Bowman CB Nebraska

5th Round, pick 134
I wanted to fill my WR need however, LOLB was also a need. I was unsure of who to take but decided that my offence needed another weapon.
PICK - Kevin Robinson WR Utah State

7th Round, pick 169
A lot of my targets had went off the boards so I shopped the pick. I was able to get Pittsburgh to give up 2 7ths for next year.

Undrafted Rookies
Carl Stewart FB Auburn
Alexis Serna K Oregan State
David Vobora ROLB Idaho
Dejuan Tribble CB Boston College
Josh Barrett FS Arizona State

Overall not the greatest 2 days. In hindsight I probably should have picked up Rivers or McFadden at 6. However, hopefully the play to drop into next year heavily will pay off.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #7
Rookie

Pre Season

Rookie Signings
Name - Salary/Years/Bonus
Sam Baker - $4.06M/4/$0.5M
Calais Campbell - $3.27M/4/$0.5M
Jermichael Finley - $1.4M/3/$0
Zack Bowman - $1.29M/3/$0
Kevin Robinson - $0.8M/3/$0

Week 1 @ Browns
A close 31-26 loss to the Browns started the Jets pre-season. Brady Quinn saw most of the snaps from under centre goinf 16 of 29 for 181 yards with 2 TDs and an INT.

Week 2 Vs Redskins
Before the game I traded my K Mike Nugent to the Broncos in exchange for their 5th round pick in the 2009 draft and a 7th in the 2010 draft.
Another close game for the Jets but this time they squeezed by Washington 27-24. Brady Quinn again took most of the reps going 12 of 26 for 176 yards and a TD.

Week 3 Vs Giants
A dissappointing loss to the Giants 17-6 meant that some new ideas were needed in the Jets locker room. Even though Kellen Clemens took the majority of the snaps today it is widely thought that Brady Quinn will sit atop the depth chart for the final pre-season game and is likely to be the starter come week 1.

Week 4 @ Eagles
The Jets pre-season finished with a win as they held off the Eagles to triumph 22-21. Neither Clemens or Quinn could complete over 50% of their passes and cobined for 20 of 46 for 226 yards with a TD and 2 INTs.

Start of Season Depth Chart
Position Name OVR POT Role
QB Brady Quinn 77 91 Starter
QB Kellen Clemens 79 88 Backup
QB Chad Pennington 77 77 3rd stringer
HB Thomas Jones 76 76 Starter
HB Leon Washington 68 72 3rd stringer
HB Alvin Pearman 66 79 Bench
HB Samkon Gado 65 72 Bench
FB Carl Stewart 70 75 Starter/Backup RB
WR Jerricho Cotchery 82 85 Starter
WR Laverneus Coles 83 83 Starter
WR Kevin Robinson 75 89 Slot
WR Brad Smith 75 81 4th
WR Wallace Wright 69 76 5th
WR Chansi Stuckey 67 75 Bench
TE Jermichael Finley 71 89 Starter
TE Chris Baker 69 69 Backup
TE Billy Miller 63 63 3rd stringer
LT D'Brickshaw Ferguson 87 94 Starter
LT Clint Oldenburgh 67 68 Backup
LG Wes Sims 75 77 Starter
LG Jacob Bender 74 76 Backup
C Nick Mangold 90 94 Starter
C Travis Spurlock 66 70 Backup
RG Michael Brock 75 87 Starter
RG Brandon Moore 74 74 Backup
RT Sam Baker 81 87 Starter
RT Chase Holiday 77 80 Backup
LE Calais Campbell 83 89 Starter
LE Renaldo Wynn 69 69 Backup
RE Tyler Brayton 72 72 Starter
RE Eric Hicks 71 71 Backup
DT Kris Jenkins 83 83 Starter
DT Shaun Ellis 79 79 Starter
DT Kenyon Coleman 72 73 Backup
DT CJ Mosley 70 72 Backup
LOLB Bryan Thomas 72 73 Starter
LOLB David Bowens 71 71 Backup
MLB David Harris 85 88 Starter
MLB Eric Baton 75 75 Backup
MLB Brad Kassell 73 73 Backup
ROLB David Vobora 69 83 Starter
ROLB Matt Chatham 70 70 Backup
CB Darrelle Revis 87 95 Starter
CB Ty Law 82 83 Starter
CB Zack Bowman 76 87 Nickel
CB Justin Miller 76 84 Dime
CB Drew Coleman 63 72 Backup
FS Ken Hamlin 86 88 Starter
FS Josh Barrett 68 82 Backup
SS Kerry Rhodes 87 91 Starter
SS Eric Smith 63 67 Backup
K Alexis Serna 83 92
P Ben Graham 81 81

Draft Path - Maceo Sweetney

I will sim the first season for everything except resigning players.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

I've had Finley before and he always seems to spend a lot of time injured. I hope you have better luck with Finley. I hope the Panthers pick nets you Sweetney; I've had him before and he is a great RB.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »