Home

Moneyball NFL Version

This is a discussion on Moneyball NFL Version within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 12
Moneyball NFL Version

Looking at starting another dynasty. My last one Raiders/Redskins kind of fizzled after winning 5 straight Super Bowls.

I got the idea for this one after reading the book and watching the movie Moneyball. My goal will be to find all the underrated guys out there who have a the skills I think are key at each position. For example, HB Justin Fargas...for my money one of the top HB's in this game...never highly rated, but always gets the job done.

As always, I'll be putting in some House Rules to try to keep it interesting.

Custom Sliders- Similar to Ebongreens

No player with a starting OVR above 79 (No starting potentials above 89)- the goal will be to find guys that I can push their OVR/POT through game play

Salary Cap set at $70M

Starting 2008 at TB coach, leaving after the season and taking over one of the open teams.

Larger Playbooks- (maybe not as big as some of you guys use, but quite a bit larger that what I typically use Offense: 195 plays; Defense 103)

Play Calling limited to under 10% in any situation- will try to use as many different plays as possible in a game

No Special Skills for HC or staff

Performance Locked at 3 for HC and staff
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Moneyball NFL Version

The Lions are under new management.

Oakland A's owner, Stephen Schott buys the Lions! The deal was completed late last night, when Clay Ford signed the deal, giving Schott control of the downtrodden franchise.

When reached for comment, Mr. Ford had this to say "After awhile you get tired of losing, and you have to decide if that's what you want to be...a loser...we'll not me. Let someone else take all that abuse. I wish them the best, but lets face it...like Detroit itself, the Lions glory days are in the past."

Schott the owner of the Oakland A's is wasting no time in making changes in Detroit. The first order of business was giving GM Matt Millen his walking papers.

Schott is known as a no nonsense, fiscally responsible owner (read as cheap). He is expected to make some drastic changes to the once proud Lions franchise, in hopes of making them a contender once again.

When reached for comment, Schoot had this to say "I am happy to be the owner of the Lions. They were a great team and will be a great team again. I think the fans will be happy with the direction we take the team."

Shortly after this conversation, the Detroit Lions issued a press release announcing price cuts for all stadium seats. The new prices are roughly half of what they were in 2008. This is no doubt an effort to revitalize fan interest that was at an all time low in 2008. Detroit had the lowest attendance at home games of any NFL franchise in 2008.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 02-05-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
MVP

Detroit Lions introduce William Munny as new head coach.

William Munny is smart, energetic and confident he's the right choice as new coach of the Detrioit Lions.

Munny oozed enthusiasm during a news conference to introduce him as Rod Marinelli's successor on Saturday, even if he did not offer specifics about his plan to help the Lions climb back among the NFL's elite.

Munny takes over a team that has struggled in recent years. The Lions have not been to the playoffs since 1999, and are coming off of a 2-14 2008 season.

Tired of losing, and lacking confidence in HC Rod Marinelli, new owner Stephen Schott, decided to make a change. The Lions had reportedly been considering former Cardinals HC Ken Wisenhunt and Coach Jim Westgate, but at the last minute decided to offer the job to Tampa Bay offensive assistant/QB coach, William Munny.

"He's a leader, commands the respect of the team ... and his peers," team owner Stephen Schott said.

"Will can relate to today's NFL player," Schott added. "The game has changed a lot. It's always changing. ... If you don't adapt to those changes, you can't compete."

Although he has no previous head coaching experience, Munny doesn't believe owner Stephen Schott and new general manager Gil Darnell are taking any more of a gamble on him than any team does, when they bring in a new head coach.

"I'm confident in my abilities. I have no problem telling you, I'm a better coach than some of the guys out there doing it right now. I've been successful at every level, I've coached, and I'll be successful at this level."

Following their playoff run, the Bucs were interested in promoting Munny to fill the shoes of retiring HC Jon Gruden. Munny also reportedly interviewed for a coaching position with the Redskins, Raiders, Dolphins, Ravens, and Falcons.

"We went out and almost won a Super Bowl, and I'm very proud of it. But, it's time to move on. It is time for me to step out from Jon's shadow and show what I can do on my own." , said Munny.

Nevertheless, Munny conceded that even he's a little surprised by his rapid ascension, especially considering he was a new offensive assistant/QB Coach for less than a year with the Bucs.

"It's really hard to even imagine right now. It's all happened so fast," Munny said.

Gruden lured Munny away from Oklahoma State University. OSU Head Coach Mike Gundy had this to say about Coach Munny.

"He's one of the more young and dynamic coaches in the league. He's a guy that everyone in the locker room looks up to for the way he knows this game, and for the way he approaches this game."

There is no doubt that Munny will have his hands full with the Detroit Lions.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
MVP

Around the NFL

Michigan HC Gary Hammermill takes over in Arizona. Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald had this to say "Mark it down now, the Cardinals are going to the Super Bowl!"

Oakland Raiders Owner and GM steps down as GM naming former Detroit Lions GM Matt Millen as his successor. Davis had this to say about the appointment, "Matt is my kind of guy! He's a winner, and I know that he'll make the kind of decisions I would. The Raiders are going to the Super Bowl...just wait and see."

Jim Westgate takes over in Baltimore. Former Raven's HC goes back to Special Teams coaching.

Ken Whisenhunt leaves Arizona for Oakland.

Clancy Pendergast steps into the HC shoes in Tampa Bay after Jon Gruden retires to become a broadcaster/commentator.

Alex Gibbs brings his zone blocking scheme to Atlanta as their new Head Coach.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
MVP

Big Names Want Out of Detroit

With the change in ownership, GM and Head Coach, it isn't unusual for there to be some growing pains.

But this is more than growing pains. A source within the Lions organization has let it be known that several key players have met with GM Gil Darnell and HC William Munny to demand trades. WR Calvin Johnson, LB Ernie Sims and CB Leigh Bodden were all reportedly at the meeting.

In other bad news for Lion fans, starting QB Jon Kitna has retired. When reached for comment he said, "I don't need this s***, enough is enough."

In coaching staff news, Coach Munny has brought in Mike Johnson to coach WRs after the former WR Coach bolted.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
MVP

Your 2009 Detroit Lions

Offense:

QBs Troy Smith, Rex Grossman, Chris Redman

HBs Justin Fargas, Darren Sproles, Brian Calhoun, Ryan Torain

FBs Jameel Cook

WRs Malcolm Kelly, Andre Davis, Mike Furrey, Shaun McDonald, Roscoe Parrish, Josh Cribbs

TEs Vernon Davis, Brandon Manumaleuna

LTs Torrin Tucker, Anthony Collins

LGs Jeremy Parquet, Mike Pollack

Cs Damien Woody, Nick Mihlhauser

RGs Jeb Terry, Jim Molinaro

RTs Maurice Williams, Qasim Mitchell

Defense:

LEs Antonio Smith, Derrick Burgess, Kenny Pettway

REs Dwayne White, Greg White

DTs Cory Redding, Chad Lavalais, Tank Johnson, Demario Pressley

LOLBs Justin Durant, Boss Bailey, Scott Fujita

MLBs Manny Lawson, Shawn Crable, Napoleon Harris, Vince Hall

ROLBs Rosevelt Colvin, Tijuan Hagler

CBs Dominique Rodgers Cromartie, Terrell Thomas, Jordan Babineaux, DeJuan Tribble, Jereme Chapman (R)

FS Jimmy Williams

SSs Tom Zbikowski, Greg Wesley

K/P Stephen Gostkowski (The one exception to my sub 80 rule...a sub 80 kicker is just too brutal)

(I'm using a balanced philosophy for all positions, and K S. Gostkowski is the only player starting at over 80 OVR...he's at 84)

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 02-05-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
MVP

Draft Recap

1 MIA Lorenzo Spragan, DT Florida State
2 ARI Mike Zazzali, QB, Arizona- Gary Hammermill grabs the hometown hero to run his offense.
3 DET trades out of the draft, TB Adrain Josheph Jr. HB Maryland
4 OAK Morgan Barnes, QB USC- GM Matt Millen thinks he's hit it out of the park with Barnes
5 ATL Demario Waddell, CB Washington
6 CAR Cody Sherry CB, Central St. Ohio- small school player goes very high
7 NYJ Barron McGwire, WR Purdue
8 CLE Corey Bulluck, CB Tuskegee- another small school CB goes high
9 CHI Vernon Caldwell, RE Oregon State
10 DAL Vonnie Mendenhall, HB Michigan
11 BAL Blake Walton, WR Texas Tech
12 JAX Gino King, MLB West Virginia
13 CIN Marquay Traylor, LT Tennessee
14 WAS Syvelle Simpson, CB Virginia Tech
15 HOU Chase Beck, LOLB Missouri
16 KC Kwame Frampton, TE Texas- Tony Gonzalez's eventual replacement
17 SEA Kendrell Kennison, WR USC
18 SD Jerome Bartell, SS Notre Dame
19 STL Chris Essex, QB Connecticut- losing faith in Bulger?
20 DAL Tim White, DT Wisconsion
21 PHI Dominique Berlin, WR Florida State
22 NO Dorsey Bayless, WR Tennessee
23 NE Jacob Flynn, HB Boise State- Patriots think they've fournd a replacement for HB Laurence Maroney who was sent to the Browns.
24 TEN Joshua Brandt, TE Boise State- two first rounders from Boise State
25 PIT Jay Nedney, LE Nebraska
26 GB Kenneth Shell, WR Texas
27 BUF Leroy Young, DT Florida
28 DEN Geoff Shaffer, LT Arkansas
29 CAR Brian Dockery, ROLB Boston College
30 IND Everson Jacobs, TE Stanford- the 3rd TE taken in the 1st round
31 NYG Trumaine Stallings, RT N. Illinois
32 SF Roscoe Lester, WR Oklahoma

7 WR's and 3 TE's selected in the 1st round! Only 3 OL selected in round 1.

Coach Munny and GM Darnell trade down and out of their first draft, preferring to secure known quantities for their first season at the helm of the Detroit Lions.

When asked about their strategy, GM Darnell had this to say "We came in late, and while we had some information...it was incomplete and imperfect. Given that, it just didn't make sense to make decisions with that. We feel confident we will be able to fill any holes with free agent pickups during training camp."

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 02-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
MVP

Detroit Lions Preseason

(simmed)

Do you want the good news or the bad news first? The good news? Okay here it is, new owner Stephen Schott has cut ticket prices nearly in half. You can actually afford to take the kids to a real NFL Football game. On top of that, the food vendors are actually charging decent prices...a buck for a hotdog, two bucks for a beer...even the souvenirs are priced at a level where you might buy your kids one.

The bad news, you're at a Lions game. The very affordable jersey you just bought has T. Smith # 10 on the back. Who is that? Where are Calvin Johnson and Ernie Sims? Where are the stars? Well, they're gone. The new look Lions are a bunch of working class stiffs, you've mostly never heard of. Sure QB Troy Smith was a big deal in college, but he played at Ohio State so that isn't winning him any fans in Detroit...and of course there is the fact that he's won exactly 0 NFL games. The same goes for just about everyone else out there in silver and blue.

So now you are faced with a dilemma, you can afford to take the family to an NFL game...but the odds are your team is going to get creamed every week. If you do go to a game, I definitely suggest getting a program...you are going to need one to figure out who's playing on your team.

The Lions preseason didn't give the large number of fans who chose to take advantage of the new prices much to hope for. The Lions went a miserable 1-3 versus very stiff competition (Saints, Colts, Giants, and Chiefs) The low point being their game vs. the Colts, when Indianapolis using only backups put up 63 points on the bumbling Lions.

This looks to be a long season.

Last edited by kdmajoslin; 02-05-2012 at 08:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »