Home

Cradle of Quarterbacks: Can Purdue Run and Shoot? (NCAA 07)

This is a discussion on Cradle of Quarterbacks: Can Purdue Run and Shoot? (NCAA 07) within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 10
Cradle of Quarterbacks: Can Purdue Run and Shoot? (NCAA 07)

And I ask this question because......I wonder in what manner the computer will use my playbook if I attempt to set up a "run and shoot" style offense in NCAA 07. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

What better place to try and build a run and shoot team than at the Cradle of Quarterbacks? Purdue University. Recap of what happened to Purdue before this point. We all remember "The Fumble" by Kyle Orton which threw Purdue football into one heck of a tailspin. We enter this, the 2006-2007 football season, looking for improvement after our 5-6 record the year prior.

Difficulty: Junior Varsity (I just think the CPU does things in a more basic manner rather than Heisman trying to dominate. I like having option one or two, and option two seems too powerful)

HFA: Off

8 minute quarters

Pre-season, I'll select recruits, and let the CPU go for them. Off-season, I'll do everything up to cutting, and let the CPU take over that. :P

NOTE: This is a video game. You ARE going to get some crazy, crrrraaaaazzzzyyyy stats and such. Be aware of that, and also be aware of what the run and shoot on JV might look like, LOL.
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."

Last edited by dxdude2004; 02-07-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Cradle of Quarterbacks: Can Purdue Run and Shoot? (NCAA 07)

So as I enter my first year at Purdue, and first year of the dynasty, we are projected to finish 8th in the conference, just ahead of Northwestern, Illinois, and Indiana. We have an average bunch of guys, but some players do stand out, as always. Wide receiver Dorian Bryant looks to be a solid target for quarterback Curtis Painter, as does senior WR Kyle Ingraham. The bad news about our team is that we only have 16 total underclassmen. We're going to have to do a TON of recruiting. As long as things don't go completely south, we should have a good year.

Offense: Run and Shoot (Hawaii base playbook consisting of flexbone formations, 2 pistol formations, and then shotgun)

Defense: 4-3

Here is our schedule for the year...

2006-07:

Miami (OH) W 45-38
Ball State L 24-30
#20 Minnesota W 48-45
@ Notre Dame L 45-46
@ #14 Iowa L 28-63
@ Northwestern W 45-36
Wisconsin W 38-28
#13 Penn State L 33-35
@ Michigan State L 40-63
@ Illinois W 52-31
Indiana W 55-36
@ Hawaii L 38-52

Champs Sports Bowl: NC State W 59-57

Season Record: 7-6
James Naismith visited an Indiana basketball state finals game along with 15,000 screaming fans and later wrote, that while it was invented in Massachusetts, "basketball really had its origin in Indiana, which remains the center of the sport."

Last edited by dxdude2004; 03-01-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Pro

Boilermakers Fight To Win 2 Of First 3

Entering the season with a high-powered offensive strategy in mind, the Purdue Boilermakers looked for their first win against the Redhawks of Miami University in Ohio. West Lafayette was rocking as Boilermaker football was back at it. The game started out with a quick-moving first quarter that saw both offenses score touchdowns. The second quarter was much more exciting as Purdue outscored the Redhawks 17-10, and led at halftime 24-17. The second half was very exciting as well as Miami Ohio outscored Purdue 14-7 in the 3rd quarter, the game locked at 31-31 with one quarter to play. Purdue outscored Miami Ohio 14-7 in the 4th to snatch away a 45-38 victory. Both defenses struggled in defending long and short passes and the run. Purdue halfback Kory Sheets picked up 129 yards and 3 touchdowns on 11 carries. Miami Ohio QB #3 threw for nearly 500 yards, and 4 touchdowns.

Next game was against Ball State, but the Boilermakers unfortunately lost. Another poor defensive performance allowed the Cardinals to lead 27-17 at halftime. Purdue's bid for a comeback came up short, and they lost 30-24.

The third game saw Purdue welcoming in the #20 Minnesota Golden Gophers in what looked to be an easy win for the Gophers. Another poor defensive performance by Purdue saw them trailing 10-7 after one quarter, but they fought hard in the 2nd to lead 28-24 at halftime. Purdue's defense still had problems in the 3rd quarter, but the offense was clicking. Purdue's defense finally made a stand in the 4th quarter. While they gave up a touchdown that cut the lead three points, they held strong from there to pick up the 48-45 upset.

Up next, the Boilermakers head out on the road for 3 straight road games. First, they travel to South Bend to battle the struggling, and unranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Next, the Boilers hope to pull another upset, this time @ Iowa. The final game of the road trip takes Purdue to Evanston to battle an impressive Northwestern squad.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #4
Banned

ross6655's Arena

OVR: 5

Good luck sir
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross6655
Good luck sir
Thank you.

I do have more games done, I just need to find the time to pop the game in and update with a write-up of where we currently are.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Pro

Purdue Struggles In Key Road Games, Recovers Against Northwestern

The Fighting Irish of Notre Dame mounted a comeback in the 4th quarter that would lead them to a 46-45 victory over the Purdue Boilermakers. One week later, the Boilers fell to the Iowa Hawkeyes 63-28. A lack of offense in the first half, and a lack of defense throughout the game led to this defeat.

"The defense just hasn't been playing this year," said Coach D in response to questions about what has gone wrong even in games that Purdue has won. "It's pretty ridiculous that we've only managed to win the games we've won by the margin that we have. It doesn't get much easier from here either, but then again, no game is ever too easy. We need everyone on the team doing their job, or we will fail the very goals that we want to accomplish."

The Boilers did manage a win in Evanston against Northwestern 45-36. "I would say that this was our best defensive effort this season," said Coach D. "We need 3 more wins for bowl eligibility, but I know that these guys want more than just 3 more wins. We all have to do our jobs."

The Boilers next three games are: Wisconsin, currently #25 Penn State, and @ currently #15 Penn State.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Pro

Haven't been keeping up on this one, but I will eventually get the next 3 games done and results posted here.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
Pro

Boilemakers or "Spoilermakers?"

That is the question going into the last 3 games of the 2006-07 football season. Is Purdue going to play as the Boilermakers, or the Spoilermakers? The Boilers completed 3/4 of the current season, but are on the brink of elimination for bowl contention.

Purdue managed an upset over the Wisconsin Badgers 38-28, and came up just short of an upset over Penn State. The Boilers tried to get the good vibes going again @ Michigan State, but the Spartans would have none of it. Purdue is 3-3 in conference play, 4-5 overall. "This is where that loss to Ball State is really hurting us, as well as not being able to defeat Penn State," explained Coach D. "We need to win 2 of the next 3, and the first 2 up are against two of our biggest rivals. It's go time!"

The Boilers will take on the Fighting Illini in Champaign, head home for the senior game against IU, and then it's off to Hawaii for a "run-and-shoot-showdown."

STATS AND HEISMAN: QB #12 (also known as Curtis Painter) has 4,057 yards passing, 37 touchdowns, and only 6 interceptions. He has a completion percentage of 66%. WR #9 (aka Dorian Bryant) is in 2nd in the Heisman race with 85 receptions, 1,370 yards, and 17 touchdowns. Ahead of him is Michigan State WR #6 who has 77 catches, 1,114 yards, and 19 touchdowns.

Last edited by dxdude2004; 02-23-2013 at 11:59 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »