Home

Return to Glory, Art Shell and the Raiders

This is a discussion on Return to Glory, Art Shell and the Raiders within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

OVR: 6
Return to Glory, Art Shell and the Raiders

So, here we go. I'm going to get as much in tonight as I can. I'll be copy/pasting some from the earlier Art Shell that wasn't quite right here to get things rolling. After that, I'm going to draft as best as I think Art and Al would have done, with some obvious misses and GM calls in there as well. Using Algoody's sliders. I'll play all the games, etc... any questions, ask, otherwise I won't get into every minute of set up.

2007 was a trying year for the Oakland Raiders. The return of Art Shell in 2006 seemed to have no effect on this once proud franchise. A 2-14 record set all kinds of new lows for the Raiders, and owner Al Davis admitted he was afraid he made a bigger mistake rehiring Coach Shell than firing him originally.

That dismal 2006 rewarded the Raiders with the first overall pick in the 2007 draft, which they used on LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell. A lengthy holdout slowed the rookie's growth, and he didn't see any meaningful action until the season was nearly over. Many of the Raiders 11 picks that year were expected to start, or at least challenge, but the intensity wasn't there - and the Raiders could only get themselves to a 4-12 record. Coach Shell knew year three was probably his make or break season. He knew there was a good nucleus there, and some of the bad eggs were shipped out - referring specifically to Randy Moss and Jerry Porter (as soon as the season starts). If JaMarcus develops in year two, and some of the units gel early on, they had a chance to make the postseason and regain some of that lost pride.

Coach Shell also had to answer the critc in himself as well. In his first stint with the Raiders, he was on his way to great things, and proud owner of a 54-38 record and a trip to the AFC championship game. Combining the great start to his current run adds another six wins, but also 26 defeats. 60-64 isn't exactly the standard Coach Shell is aiming for. He desperately wants to show he's ready to take his place alongside John Madden and Tom Flores in Raiders history. He even has a little photoshopped picture of Mt. Rushmore, with Al Davis, Madden, Flores and himself as the four Raiders immortals on his desktop for added motivation.

In addition, this is also a make or break year for many of the Raiders coaches and players. The pressure is on the OC and QBC this year to develop Russell as well as get this team on track. Last season, the team had the 23rd ranked offense - the 31st ranked passing attack hidden behind the 6th best rushing attack. The team will be using a more balanced West Coast look to try to achieve that. Of course the 'bombs away' days of the AFL will always be a part of the Raiders. There's a lot of tension among the offensive coaches that it seems only winning or pink slips will lesson.

The defense is really expected to join the elite this year. Last year's 26th ranked effort hid an 8th ranked pass defense behind a glaring 31st ranked rushing defense. While they were 10th in points against. they were 23rd in points scored. Rumors are swirling that if DC Rob Ryan can get this unit ranked in the top 10, there might be a head coaching job for him somewhere in 2009.

Up next - the Offseason Loads up and the Preseason Begins with a BANG!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg art3.jpg (94.0 KB, 75 views)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Re: Return to Glory, Art Shell and the Raiders

Raiders Report: February 2008

Coach Shell is more than content to let Rob Ryan run the defense, although the run defense needs to drastically improve this year - no excuses. The offense needs work, however, and Coach Shell is going to try bring back Daunte Culpepper to lead the team, and continue the development of JaMarcus Russell.

Franchise Tag: None. As great as Nnamdi is, it is far too cost prohibitive to tag him, even if it's just to trade him. Jerry Porter has been a very good receiver, but his repeated clashes with Coach Shell left Coach with no choice but to let him walk.

Restricted Free Agents:

CB Chris Carr -
He's a promising young corner, but we have a logjam at the position, and the trend for the roster has been more zone-read corners, and Coach Shell is going back to physical, press-man, shutdown corners. We're not going to push too hard to keep him but he's too talented to just walk for free. We'll tender him with a level one tender: $970k vs. a 7th round pick.

LB Isaiah Ekejiuba -
mostly a reserve guy, he's got some potential; but he'll be allowed to seek employment elsewhere. We're just headed in a different direction.

On the eve of free agency, our cap room sits at $29.70 million dollars!

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 06-03-2015 at 02:49 PM. Reason: update!
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

almost ready! thanks for your patience!

Last edited by Aurabolt127; 07-08-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-06-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

If you don't mind me interrupting this wonderful dynasty, how do you create those charts. I might make a dynasty of my own.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:28 AM   #5
Rookie

Just kidding! I found it lol. Sorry!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2014, 08:38 PM   #6
Pro

Aurabolt127's Arena

Almost there!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Rookie

I was wondering why you keep starting franchises before the 08 draft.

It gives you a major advantage getting a nice set of rookies and moving some cap clogs around.

Don't you end up dominating by year 4 every time?

Not criticizing just curious how you keep interested.

Anyway looking forward to Art Shell's return.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

Are you using the Raiders default playbooks, or custom ones of your own?Also, are you sticking with the Raiders default philosophies? Finally, what's your impression of AG's sliders?

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »