Home

Taking A Chance - An NFL Head Coach 09 story

This is a discussion on Taking A Chance - An NFL Head Coach 09 story within the Coaching Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5
Taking A Chance - An NFL Head Coach 09 story

Starting a new career to run alongside that of Zarek Stryker and my Tennessee Titans (mainly because it's been so long since I played that one, I want to run one more "current" that doesn't have a two-year hiatus between some posts haha). I spent a lot of time debating on what team to go with, trying to decide between the Detroit Lions, Oakland Raiders, or Washington Redskins. Going back and forth between the three, I finally settled on Oakland. While they have been done before, to no surprise, I have a soft spot for that team, and am looking forward to bringing them back to glory with my new Head Coach: Christopher Chance

MAYHEM IN THE BAY
RAIDERS HIRE ANOTHER NEW COACH

The Raiders are making a splash. In another move that leaves many experts scratching their heads, Raiders owner Al Davis has fired head coach Lane Kiffin. There were rumors of a rift between the two parties before this announcement, and now all rumors would appear to be true. They should be put to rest, however, as the two parties have parted ways. "It's an unusual sight to see so late into the offseason." One analyst was quoted as saying. "All head coach vacancies have been fulfilled already with free agency right around the corner. We can't expect any big names to jump on board with this and take the Raiders job."

The experts were partly correct. While no "big" names were hired (Bill Cowher, Brian Billick, etc.), Al Davis dipped into the college programs yet again to tab his next head coach. "We are pleased to announce that Raider Nation is most definitely going to be better this year! No more will we just sit back and watch others win what should be rightfully ours!" The hype was tangible with this rallying cry. "I introduce to you the newest Head Coach of the Oakland Raiders: Christopher Chance!"

But just who is Christopher Chance? That was the question many reporters found themselves asking. The one thing they could all agree on was that nobody really knew who he was. Hailing from Berkeley, CA, Chance was a mild-mannered teacher and high school football coach that apparently drew the eye of Al Davis. It wasn't as if Chance was some guru on the gridiron either, seeing as he wasn't being heavily recruited to coach at higher levels, such as making the jump to college football. So why would Davis tab some relative unknown to head an NFL franchise?

Rumors say it's a win-win for Davis in the long run. Either Chance surprises everyone and leads the Raiders back to glory (fat chance that) and makes Davis look like a genius for his hiring. Or Chance flounders in the NFL (the more likely scenario) and Davis can spend the entire season searching for a replacement well before the offseason even begins to bring who he truly wants in to head his team.

"I'm shocked that Al is giving me this chance. Who would have thought a small-time High School coach would get an opportunity to coach in the NFL? I'm looking forward to leading the Raiders this upcoming season and beyond."

Name: Christopher Chance
Overall Skill: 12
Personality: Captain
Skills: Ambition, Charisma, Charm, Off Season Seminar, Regular Season Seminar, Playbook Training
Offensive Playbook: Air Raid (slightly customized Run&Shoot)
Defensive Playbook: No Man's Land (modified Jags Physical D)

These skills were taken as a way of showing his teaching background and the fact that he could get his kids to buy in to what he was doing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Rookie

Shamhat1915's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Taking A Chance - An NFL Head Coach 09 story

Notes and Observations

From the desk of Christopher Chance

What is there to say about this team? I don't have much time to make my mark on this team. Hell, this year I probably won't be able to do much for that anyway. I only have the franchise tag to work with, so all those I want to keep who weren't offered contracts are going to be gone. Can't afford to lose Nnamdi Asomugha, so he's going to be franchised. There's no doubt about that. Unfortunately that means I'll lose Cornell Green, Josh McCown, Jarrod Cooper, Jeremy Newberry, Tim Dwight and Jerry Porter. That's a potential starting quarterback, two offensive lineman, two receivers and a safety. Jesus.

I may look into resigning McCown if possible. He's a serviceable quarterback with good accuracy. While he doesn't have the arm strength I need for my offense, his accuracy is good enough to make up for it, and we can focus on shorter passes until I get that quarterback. But what else is there to do for this team. I mean, there aren't a lot of players on the roster who fit what I need to run my systems. Let's see, what do I need from each position?

Quarterback: Pure Passer
My quarterback needs to have a strong arm to make those throws and great accuracy to fit them into the windows that open up. He also needs to be able to see the field clearly, and it would be great if he could move around and outside the pocket and extend the play.

Halfback: Balanced
My running back needs to be an all-around player. He needs to be fast and shifty when in the open field, and I want him to have the strength to break tackles and push the pile up the middle. His hands need to be good to catch the ball out of the backfield, as well. An all around player.

Fullback: Balanced
While not going to carry the ball much, he may be called upon occasionally to carry the rock. When not doing so, I need him to lead the runners and block for them, or possibly catch the ball out of the backfield as well.

Wide Receiver: Red Zone Threat
There's just too much needed here. Great hands, run crisp routes and catching the ball in traffic are the main things I'm looking at here. Most players on the roster right now are fast speed threats, which will help with the deep ball, but I don't want all speed. What else is there to do here?

Tight End: Playmaker TE
My tightends aren't going to be asked to block very often. They'll be used more in the passing game and, as such, need to be able to catch the ball.

Tackle: Pass Blocker Guard: Balanced Center: Balanced
My tackles need to be good pass blockers to set the pocket for whoever is quarterbacking for us. The interior of the line needs to be good pass blockers as well, but also push the defensive line to create holes for the running backs.

Defensive Tackle: Balanced Defensive End: Balanced
The defensive line needs to be able to rush the passer and be decent at preventing the run. Rushing the passer comes first and foremost for these guys as they will be asked to apply the most pressure of the front seven.

Outside Linebacker: Run Stopper Middle Linebacker: 3-4/Tackler
The linebackers are going to be our main tacklers, if the defensive line does their job in plugging up the offensive lineman and leaving them free. Good coverage skills coupled with stellar tackling, block shedding and pursuit are what I'm looking for here.

Cornerback: Man Coverage/Ballhawk Free Safety: Centerfielder Strong Safety: Run Support/Big Hitter
My corners are expected to be able to hang with receivers in one-on-one situations throughout the game with little to no support. The free safety is going to be the absolute last line of defense in the secondary, playing deep to keep everything in front of him. Now the strong safety is going to be both covering players and acting as the eight man in the box fairly often, so he needs to be able to tackle well and keep them down.

Kicker: Accurate Punter: Big Foot/Distance
Pretty self-explanatory here. Our kicker needs to be accurate to actually make the kicks when called upon. The punter needs to have a strong let to pin opponents deep. Enough said

I don't know what I'm going to do with this team. There are many holes in this roster, and not a whole lot of cap space to work with. Not to mention we don't have a 2nd round, 3rd round, or 5th round pick in this years draft. So I can't even rely on the draft unless I'm able to make some deals. Which I do plan on making some, if I'm lucky.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #3
Rookie

AnchiKai2's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Taking A Chance - An NFL Head Coach 09 story

Looking forward to this dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Coaching Dynasties »