Home

2009-10 Duke Blue Devils

This is a discussion on 2009-10 Duke Blue Devils within the College Basketball Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: 2009-10 Duke Blue Devils

There comes a time in every successful, longtime coach's career where you have to decide: Do you want to win? Or do you want to win your way? I don't care what sport you're in, the game evolves. Its not always a better or worse deal. It just evolves. & you've got to adapt. Or else you fall behind.

The NBA drafts potential. They no longer care for finished projects. Its no longer advantageous for prospects to go 4 years in college to work on their skills. The NBA is willing to have you work on your game and pay you.

k has got to move w/the times. He's been hesitant to do that. Recruiting & on the court. That's why Harrison Barnes is so important to their program right now. And its imperative he use his roster's height correctly this year. Or else, the Devils will stay behind UNC.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 10-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
There comes a time in every successful, longtime coach's career where you have to decide: Do you want to win? Or do you want to win your way? I don't care what sport you're in, the game evolves. Its not always a better or worse deal. It just evolves. & you've got to adapt. Or else you fall behind.

The NBA drafts potential. They no longer care for finished projects. Its no longer advantageous for prospects to go 4 years in college to work on their skills. The NBA is willing to have you work on your game and pay you.

k has got to move w/the times. He's been hesitant to do that. Recruiting & on the court. That's why Harrison Barnes is so important to their program right now. And its imperative he use his roster's height correctly this year. Or else, the Devils will stay behind UNC.
I agree with everything you said. Although K has also failed at his Euro style gameplay that he fell in love with coaching with Mike DiAntoni. 4 perimeter players who can shoot and pass, and one rebounding "center". To be honest though, it did work when they won it all in 2001. But they did it out of necessity when Boozer went down for a couple of weeks. Without their only inside presence K let Dunleavy, JWill, Duhon, and even Nate James play a heavily perimeter offense with Sanders rebounding and blocking shots underneath the hoop. Boozer returned and they had a championship run. Of course most systems would work with a JWill, Boozer, Duhon, and Dunleavy on your team.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

Saw on the ESPN ticker, we got Irving!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 AM   #12
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

Quick ? for all the Duke fans on this thread....

Where were you when Laettner hit his game winning shot against either UConn in '90 or "The Shot" against UK in '92?

Me, In '90 I was working at H.E.B. Pharmacy and it was slow on the weekend. We had a little TV on in the Rx and my pharmacist let me watch the game, especially the final few minutes. When Laettner hit that shot, I screamed and ran back and forth across the pharmacy. I remember my pharmacist stopping me and saying "Hey! Cool it! You're making a scene." I was only 19 so I was peaking a little still at that time.

Against UK, I was watching the game at a house that me and 2 other college buddies had rented for a couple of years. Both of 'em went out that night on dates, I couldn't be happier as I just wanted to watch the game in peace. I was up in my room yelling and cheering the whole game. It was a great game before the overtime period. When Brown hit the shot in OT that put UK on the brink of going to the F4 the phone started ringing like crazy...friends talking trash, even my own dad was rubbing salt in the wound. I just told 'em "it wasn't over yet!"

Wouldn't you know it, Laettner hit that shot! I will never forget watching that play unfold. I'm not lying. Once it left Hill's hands, I thought..."we have a chance." But once Laettner caught it clean I was like.."it's over, he won't miss this shot!" and he didn't. I ran around the house, up and down the stairs yelling and screaming...I called those friends of mine...no answer on their phones. I called my dad back and he had the nads to answer and was in total shock. He was laughing, not like happy laughing...but of complete disbelief. It was hilarious. One of the best sports memories of my life. No question.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laettner32
Quick ? for all the Duke fans on this thread....

Where were you when Laettner hit his game winning shot against either UConn in '90 or "The Shot" against UK in '92?

Me, In '90 I was working at H.E.B. Pharmacy and it was slow on the weekend. We had a little TV on in the Rx and my pharmacist let me watch the game, especially the final few minutes. When Laettner hit that shot, I screamed and ran back and forth across the pharmacy. I remember my pharmacist stopping me and saying "Hey! Cool it! You're making a scene." I was only 19 so I was peaking a little still at that time.

Against UK, I was watching the game at a house that me and 2 other college buddies had rented for a couple of years. Both of 'em went out that night on dates, I couldn't be happier as I just wanted to watch the game in peace. I was up in my room yelling and cheering the whole game. It was a great game before the overtime period. When Brown hit the shot in OT that put UK on the brink of going to the F4 the phone started ringing like crazy...friends talking trash, even my own dad was rubbing salt in the wound. I just told 'em "it wasn't over yet!"

Wouldn't you know it, Laettner hit that shot! I will never forget watching that play unfold. I'm not lying. Once it left Hill's hands, I thought..."we have a chance." But once Laettner caught it clean I was like.."it's over, he won't miss this shot!" and he didn't. I ran around the house, up and down the stairs yelling and screaming...I called those friends of mine...no answer on their phones. I called my dad back and he had the nads to answer and was in total shock. He was laughing, not like happy laughing...but of complete disbelief. It was hilarious. One of the best sports memories of my life. No question.
For the UConn one, that was a month before I was born. For the Laettner shot, probably chilling at home.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Banned

Laettner32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLinn
For the UConn one, that was a month before I was born. For the Laettner shot, probably chilling at home.
Uh. Thanks for the input J.J.

Goes to the fridge fridge to grab a beer and drown my own disbelief that that much time has evaporated from my life.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laettner32
Uh. Thanks for the input J.J.

Goes to the fridge fridge to grab a beer and drown my own disbelief that that much time has evaporated from my life.
Seriously. I feel like Grandpa Jones over here.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #16
Banned

BunnyHardaway's Arena

OVR: 36

I feel old too, don't leave me out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads »