Home

Kentucky Wildcats 2013-2014 Thread

This is a discussion on Kentucky Wildcats 2013-2014 Thread within the College Basketball Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #41
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Kentucky Wildcats 2013-2014 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
Guys, Jake was giving his opinion, not talking smack. As has already been pointed out, Jake is a fan of college basketball. Yes, he is an IU fan, but he ins't like most and is able to have intelligent conversations about many teams including UK.

With that said, I agree with much of what Jake said. We will be fine. The SEC is coming up (and since the SEC sucks for the most part, there should be a lot of wins there) and currently, as of right now, there is no clear leader on the team. After the MSU game, I thought Randle would emerge as our leader but so far he hasn't really done that. We need him and Andrew both to step up in the leadership department.

What I don't agree with Jake about is whether or not this team can win the NC. For the same reason he doesn't think we will, is the reason I think we will. Which goes right back to leadership. Seeing Cal work over the past 4 years (sans last year), there are a lot of similar issues with this young team. I think one that will eventually get worked out is leadership and I think the 2 that will emerge are Andrew and Julius.

Rose and Evans took a while to get going while at Memphis and they had no where near the talent we have. Even our 2011 team with Knight and company took a long time before it clicked. I think this team will click sooner than them though.

I view the Baylor game as the one where we just took a step forward but now have taken 2 steps back. I think by the UNC game next week we will be back on the right track again and may even be the game this team turns the corner on.

But, like Jake, these are just my opinions.
I apologized to him but I guess he didn't accept. Obviously I don't post on this board as much as I used to, so I'm sure he's a fine fellow. I just don't have much patience with UofL or IU fans right now, especially after last season and how this season has started.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-11-2013, 03:47 AM   #42
All Star

redsrule's Arena

OVR: 30

You don't have patience for them because Kentucky isn't off to the best start? That doesn't make sense to me, especially since Jake is one of the (few) good IU fans.

On topic, how did they play tonight? Wasn't able to catch the game (save 5 minutes of it during my lunch break) but saw they won by 15.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #43
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule
You don't have patience for them because Kentucky isn't off to the best start? That doesn't make sense to me, especially since Jake is one of the (few) good IU fans.

On topic, how did they play tonight? Wasn't able to catch the game (save 5 minutes of it during my lunch break) but saw they won by 15.
Individually some of them had nice games. As a collection, I still feel they are a long ways away from being the team they can be. UNC game might be another L depending on which teams show up.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #44
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsrule

I didn't like his comment about our team "not having leaders" 9 games into the season. All I saw was the IU avatar and immediately thought he was an IU troll trying to pick a fight in a UK thread. Like I said, he probably is a good guy, I just overreacted because yes, IU fans DESPISE Calipari/UK and take shots at us whenever they can. And obviously Louisville fans are their own special class.

As for the Boise State game, I was pleased with the result, we exuded more effort on the defensive side which was good to see. However, I have a bad feeling about Saturday. Not because UNC is better --- they're not --- but because the game is going to be played at Chapel Hill. The 2010-11 game was one of the worst officiated games I've ever seen. Pretty sure UNC shot at least 15 more free throws than us that game. I fear a similiar result on Saturday, especially considering most of UNC's talent outside Paige are power forwards and centers.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

I truthfully didn't think we could win at Chapel Hill, we couldn't even beat Baylor on a neutral floor. We really don't have a leader. Maybee Aaron is becoming one. Free throws and turnovers, that's what it is. Randle looked like a freshman tonight, just another frustrating night.

It's still so early, but 0-3 againt ranked opponents is not good. We struggled with Cleveland St, we have no identity right now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #46
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
I truthfully didn't think we could win at Chapel Hill, we couldn't even beat Baylor on a neutral floor. We really don't have a leader. Maybee Aaron is becoming one. Free throws and turnovers, that's what it is. Randle looked like a freshman tonight, just another frustrating night.

It's still so early, but 0-3 againt ranked opponents is not good. We struggled with Cleveland St, we have no identity right now.
We're running out of chances to play good teams (thanks, SEC). Louisville game is a must-win if we want any shot at getting a 1 seed.

A lot of people -- including myself -- shrugged when Wiltjer transferred but he could have really helped this team in the leadership department. He'd be no worse than the second guy off the bench right now.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #47
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcatchild
We're running out of chances to play good teams (thanks, SEC). Louisville game is a must-win if we want any shot at getting a 1 seed.

A lot of people -- including myself -- shrugged when Wiltjer transferred but he could have really helped this team in the leadership department. He'd be no worse than the second guy off the bench right now.
Wiltjer may have been help in the leadership department, maybe. But he still wouldn't have been able to play him much dud to his inability to guard a snail. And to be honest, I personally don't think he had it in him to be a leader either. Hood is more of a leader than he would have been.

The team is young, that's it. If they decide to play as a team they will be the best team in the nation, by a long shot. But until that happens, if that happens, this team will continue to be a roller coaster ride.

Thankfully we have Belmont before UL. While I think Belmont is a good team and certainly capable of beating UK, my hope is UK uses that game as the game that clicks for them. There are times they seem close to getting it. Each game seems to show more and more plays where they seem to get it. They just can't sustain it for very long. Maybe this UNC game is their eye opener. I hope so.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #48
MVP

wildcatchild's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
Wiltjer may have been help in the leadership department, maybe. But he still wouldn't have been able to play him much dud to his inability to guard a snail. And to be honest, I personally don't think he had it in him to be a leader either. Hood is more of a leader than he would have been.

The team is young, that's it. If they decide to play as a team they will be the best team in the nation, by a long shot. But until that happens, if that happens, this team will continue to be a roller coaster ride.

Thankfully we have Belmont before UL. While I think Belmont is a good team and certainly capable of beating UK, my hope is UK uses that game as the game that clicks for them. There are times they seem close to getting it. Each game seems to show more and more plays where they seem to get it. They just can't sustain it for very long. Maybe this UNC game is their eye opener. I hope so.
I hope you're right but I simply can't drink the Kool-Aid anymore. Last year was a debacle and this season is a complete bust so far. We keep settling for these moral victories, i.e., losing to ranked teams by slim margins. It's the same song as last year. I remember we played Louisville tough and everybody was feeling really good because the SEC was so weak. True, we would have been a 7 or 8 seed had Nerlens not been injured. However, I have seen nothing from this team to make me feel like it won't end up any better. Yes, it's way more talented but it's also mentally weak just like last year's team. That's why I feel Wiltjer would have helped, he at least had championship experience and would be a calming presence off the bench.

Last edited by wildcatchild; 12-15-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: I can't spell

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball > College Basketball Official Team Threads »