Home

2010 Recruiting Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on 2010 Recruiting Discussion Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #593
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 2010 Recruiting Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
It is because it's pointless.

Unless the coach leaves and the player is given his release there's no reason to recruit him.

Recruiting committed players is perfectly normal and every coach does it at some point. Washington fans have no right to complain about recruiting committed players since their current best recruit was committed to Maryland.
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/934087.html

Ross publicly opened up his recruitment. Different scenario. Jones actually said that he's still committed to Washington but was unwilling to sign anything, according to The Oregonian, while he was obviously still being recruited by Calipari. Just saying, Ross' recruitment =/= Jones' recruitment scenario.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #594
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13

The question I have is if Calipari's version of the story is true, what would've been the correct thing to do?

Cal's version: Terrance Jones called him an hour after the press conference and told Cal that he thought he might've made a mistake and that he wasn't sure about his decsion. Cal tells him he still wants him to come to UK, but that if he decides to go to Washington he understands. Jones then takes 2 weeks to think it over, probably talking to Coach Romar and Coach Cal during that time, then when the final signing day comes, he chooses UK.

I fail to see where the problem is if that version is true, and I have seen no evidence that it is not. This is an 18 year old kid, making a HUGE life decision. At 18 I know I wouldn't have wanted to tell my home state (or close proximity) school that I was going to another university. I also wouldn't have wanted to disappointed my family and friends who were probably fans of the local school. But I may have known it would be in my best interest to go to the far away school as far as my future was concerned. I WOULD NOT want to be in that situation now, much less when I was 18.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #595
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Has Kenny Payne been given Rod Stricklands old job yet????
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #596
Banned

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/934087.html

Ross publicly opened up his recruitment. Different scenario. Jones actually said that he's still committed to Washington but was unwilling to sign anything, according to The Oregonian, while he was obviously still being recruited by Calipari. Just saying, Ross' recruitment =/= Jones' recruitment scenario.
Ross opened up his recruitment after he got offers from better programs when his stock rose at the end of 2009.

It was the exact same situation. Jones didn't sign a letter of intent and thus was fair game.

If a player doesn't sign in basketball, it isn't a commitment worth anything.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:09 PM   #597
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebby
Ross opened up his recruitment after he got offers from better programs when his stock rose at the end of 2009.

It was the exact same situation. Jones didn't sign a letter of intent and thus was fair game.

If a player doesn't sign in basketball, it isn't a commitment worth anything.
Still not exactly the same if that's what you're saying then. Jones has had the same offers for however long he's been recruited for. It's not like the Kentucky offer just popped up out of nowhere after he committed to UW.

Assuming what you're saying is true, Ross commits to Maryland then gets more offers and changes his mind, because he has different options he never had.

Jones makes his decision in a huge public press conference, puts on the hat, takes pictures, etc. Then less than an hour later changes his mind, and strings it out for another month or so. During that time, kind of lets it leak out slowly that he is still sticking with his original commitment, comes up to UW the day before the deadline, then the next day announces he's officially changing his mind.

I don't think the two situations are absolutely different in everyway, just saying it was under some different circumstances. I think most of the guys that work for the recruiting services have said that Jones' recruitment process is pretty different from the stuff they have covered and was a unique situation.

Can't disagree with the bolded part, of course, as I have learned with this recruitment process.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #598
MVP

Koolie G's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
Has Kenny Payne been given Rod Stricklands old job yet????
Not yet. But I did see Kenny Payne having dinner with Coach Cal and Coach Antigua in Lexington this weekend. Doesn't mean he will be an assistant at UK, but everyone seems to believe he will be by the end of the week.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:40 PM   #599
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolie G
Not yet. But I did see Kenny Payne having dinner with Coach Cal and Coach Antigua in Lexington this weekend. Doesn't mean he will be an assistant at UK, but everyone seems to believe he will be by the end of the week.
And UK fans still believe Jones called Cal first?
Not that it matters in todays recruiting but it pretty common knowledge that Payne was close to Jones.
And you yourself saw Cal and Payne having dinner???
Old 05-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #600
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
And UK fans still believe Jones called Cal first?
Not that it matters in todays recruiting but it pretty common knowledge that Payne was close to Jones.
And you yourself saw Cal and Payne having dinner???
Yes, it has been said many many times, including the reporters from Washington/Oregon after the original commitment, that Jones called Cal. Cal has said it. Jones has said it. News reporters have said it.

Are you suggesting we not believe ANYONE and say that it is BS?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »