Home

Why do you hate Duke?

This is a discussion on Why do you hate Duke? within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #9
MVP

Porschebenz2001's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Why do you hate Duke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
1. They're responsible for over-flopping and the abundance of offensive fouls in the game today. I didn't really hate Duke that much until Battier arrived, even though Laettner is probably the biggest d-bag in the history of college basketball. It just disgusts me how games are called these days (Zoubek moves his feet and slides in on a majority of the charges his earns, Scheyer is the same way - hell MOST offensive fouls in college basketball are this way) and Duke is the biggest reason why. Defense in basketball is not meant to try to take a charge at all costs but that's how Duke defends - it annoys the **** out of me especially since the refs give them so many absurd charges. Having your 7'1 center trying to take charges instead of blocking shots, there is just something wrong with that. I wouldn't have as big of a problem if the refs actually got the calls right but college basketball has reached a point when the defender is always given the benefit of the doubt and it's damn near criminal at this point. If a defender attempts to take a charge and there's contact, pretty good chance the ref is calling a charge. Watching replays of charge calls, more often then not it is a bad call. Whether it's right or wrong, I mostly blame Dook for it.

2. Coach K's refusal to schedule a real OOC road game. Believe it's been over a decade now, excluding Michigan, since they've played a voluntary road game OOC at an on-campus venue. The regular/OOC season barely means anything in college basketball, please grow a set of nuts, Coach K.

3. For whatever reason, they bring in the most annoying players, who also match their annoying coach. I mean the list goes on for days, guys who are just really unlikable. Guys who are ugly (no homo) and awkward looking. The funny thing is that I wouldn't even put JJ Redick in the Top 10 of the most 'easily hate-able" Dookies.

4. Corey Maggette. How Duke got away with that still baffles me to this day.

5. ESPN feels the need to broadcast every single Duke game, even their cupcake OOC games.

6. Dick Vitale and Mike Patrick (mercifully this combo is no more) schlurping Dook to no end during EVERY broadcast. I remember a game when McRoberts was there, he was playing HORRIBLY (like usual), couldn't score, had a buncha turnovers and was getting cooked on D. But there was one play where he got a long defensive rebound, led the break, made an around the back dribble to avoid a defender and hit a guy spotting up for a three on the break. Patrick goes absolutely nuts, "Wow, is there anything this kid can't do!? Look at how skilled he is!". Yes, Mike. He can do everything except pass, shoot, score, defend, dribble and block shots. Guys just complete ignored the horrible game McRoberts was having to slop McRoberts for one nice play.

7. Coach K looks like a mix of Hitler and the Blue Devil mascot and has the most annoying voice in college basketball.

Probably have more to come...
I don't agree that all Duke fans are arrogant. I think don't think myself, Pdiddypop, and Jlinn are at all.

As a Duke fan the flopping annoys me to no freekin end. Can't stand it and no Duke fan can defend it.

I guess I never found any players annoying because they are my team, but to other fans I'm sure there are. Possibly a stupid question but why do you hate Battier? He's my favorite of all time.

Dickie V once referenced to a McSoberts pass as, "He looks like the Magic Man baby!" I'm serious. I like Dickie V because he seems like a good guy and does a lot for charity. It's just part of his thing. He's paid to say outrageous things like that.
NFL: New York Jets
Old 04-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #10
MVP

Kriech23's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by z Revis
I just hate the entire aura surrounding Duke. I simply don't like them and I can't remember the last time I rooted for them. Biggest reasons I hate them: 90% of Duke fans I've met are arrogant and people that I simply don't like to be around. The constant media bias/love fest towards them. They seem to get every call and every break in games.
Summed up pretty well.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschebenz2001
I don't agree that all Duke fans are arrogant. I think don't think myself, Pdiddypop, and Jlinn are at all.
Duke fans are no worse than any other popular team (the Red Sox remain the worst IMO). The Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, etc. They have more fans, and more bandwagon fans, which pretty much makes it a numbers game in terms of how many d-bag fans there are out there.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
3. For whatever reason, they bring in the most annoying players, who also match their annoying coach. I mean the list goes on for days, guys who are just really unlikable. Guys who are ugly (no homo) and awkward looking. The funny thing is that I wouldn't even put JJ Redick in the Top 10 of the most 'easily hate-able" Dookies.
I was going to say this too, but didn't want to come off as judgmental considering I've never met any of them in person. But just the way they look. The way they act in interviews and during games. Ugh. And it's not even just a few players here and there. Their entire roster is full of them. Every year too. One goofy unlikable kid leaves only to be replaced by another one the next year.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 04-06-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
Outback Jesus

OSUFan_88's Arena

OVR: 37

I would tell you, but I think my main point is against the TOS.

However, I will say that there is something about a good majority of Duke players that just pisses me off. I don't know if it's that they think they never commit a foul, that they are all give off the vibe of arrogance or if it's all just in my head.

I have absolutely no reason to hate Duke, but I hate them with a passion.

Urban Meyer is lol.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #14
K*ngs *f th* D*nc*!

PdiddyPop's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschebenz2001

As a Duke fan the flopping annoys me to no freekin end. Can't stand it and no Duke fan can defend it.

I guess I never found any players annoying because they are my team, but to other fans I'm sure there are. Possibly a stupid question but why do you hate Battier? He's my favorite of all time.

Dickie V once referenced to a McSoberts pass as, "He looks like the Magic Man baby!" I'm serious. I like Dickie V because he seems like a good guy and does a lot for charity. It's just part of his thing. He's paid to say outrageous things like that.

100% agree.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
MVP

Porschebenz2001's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Duke fans are no worse than any other popular team (the Red Sox remain the worst IMO). The Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, etc. They have more fans, and more bandwagon fans, which pretty much makes it a numbers game in terms of how many d-bag fans there are out there.
As a Yankee fan also, I definitely agree with all of that. Jersey has to be the worst for bandwagon fans.
NFL: New York Jets
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM   #16
ehh
Hall Of Fame

ehh's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUFan_88
However, I will say that there is something about a good majority of Duke players that just pisses me off. I don't know if it's that they think they never commit a foul, that they are all give off the vibe of arrogance or if it's all just in my head.
That's one thing I must say that I never really got from Duke players - outside of Laettner I never really felt their players were arrogant at all. By and large they keep their mouths shut and play hard.

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas." - Warren Buffet

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »