Home

2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #73
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
Alford did say he is 100% staying at UCLA. If Indiana gets Donovan, it puts them immediately back in their rightful spot with the blue bloods. Would be a total grand slam hire.
Totally disappointed with the Archie Miller hiring!
I have seen this movie before of hiring an up and coming coach that had some success at a much smaller school and we just fired that guy. Seriously they should have just kept Crean if this was the best they could do.
It is also a reality check to IU fans, you are no longer a blue blood or very important in the college bball world.
There was a time not long ago that great experienced coaches would have been begging for this job, no longer! And what is funny is we make fun of how "crazy" we think UK fans are. According to multiple sources that is the exact reason that Mack had no interest and why Mark Few had no interest before him. They both said IU fans are crazy and have an unrealistic view of what IU is now.
I would have been perfectly happy with Donovan, Alford, or Mack and we couldn't get any of them.
Archie freakin Miller?? Really?? We should not have to settle for mediocre mid major coaches!
Or maybe we should??
Old 03-27-2017, 04:13 PM   #74
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
Totally disappointed with the Archie Miller hiring!
I have seen this movie before of hiring an up and coming coach that had some success at a much smaller school and we just fired that guy. Seriously they should have just kept Crean if this was the best they could do.
It is also a reality check to IU fans, you are no longer a blue blood or very important in the college bball world.
There was a time not long ago that great experienced coaches would have been begging for this job, no longer! And what is funny is we make fun of how "crazy" we think UK fans are. According to multiple sources that is the exact reason that Mack had no interest and why Mark Few had no interest before him. They both said IU fans are crazy and have an unrealistic view of what IU is now.
I would have been perfectly happy with Donovan, Alford, or Mack and we couldn't get any of them.
Archie freakin Miller?? Really?? We should not have to settle for mediocre mid major coaches!
Or maybe we should??
I don't know Jake. I think I read that Alford has never gotten past the Sweet 16, and while he may have had more dog in the fight at IU being a former player, I just don't think he is that great of a coach. Mack would have been a great hire though. Donovan was unrealistic I think although he would have been the best.

I think Archie has the chance to be a great hire. Yes, I know all too well about the up and coming coach taking over a blue blood (Billy G), but every coach starts somewhere. It will take a couple of years but I truly think that with the power of IU he will do great recruiting wise and I think he's a pretty good coach.

Not sure you know this, but Calipari has known the Miller's for most of his life. I think he played for Archie and Sean's dad at some point. Funny how small the coaching world is.

I think Archie is a better X's and O's coach than his brother and we will see how he does with recruiting. If I am honest, Archie is a guy I have had my eye on for the future when Cal retires. You think coaches are turning down IU for crazy fans, wait until Cal retires. No one will want to follow him. Not because he is the best coach in the world, but because he is tailor made for UK in marketing and recruiting.

I wouldn't hang my head too low brother. There just aren't a lot of great coaches out there with experience outside of the ones that will be retiring in the next 5-10 years. There will be a whole new landscape in college basketball in 10 years without Cal, K, Williams, Boeheim, etc. I get your non-excitement after Crean, but everyone starts somewhere and Archie is the most likely of the newest of coaches to succeed IMO.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #75
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

I would take Archie over Alford any day.

We'll see how he fares but Alford is nothing special, he recruits well I'll give him that.

I agree Billy D and Mack were the homeruns so I'm glad Indiana didn't land them, I was hoping for Alford personally because I think he is the worst coach of the 4, I think Archie will do well, we'll see how his recruiting goes.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 AM   #76
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniM1ke
I would take Archie over Alford any day.

We'll see how he fares but Alford is nothing special, he recruits well I'll give him that.

I agree Billy D and Mack were the homeruns so I'm glad Indiana didn't land them, I was hoping for Alford personally because I think he is the worst coach of the 4, I think Archie will do well, we'll see how his recruiting goes.
Illinois tried their hardest to keep Crean at IU.
Good luck with the carpet bagger you just hired.
Hopefully he will make you relevant again, but then he might leave if he does.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:03 AM   #77
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
I don't know Jake. I think I read that Alford has never gotten past the Sweet 16, and while he may have had more dog in the fight at IU being a former player, I just don't think he is that great of a coach. Mack would have been a great hire though. Donovan was unrealistic I think although he would have been the best.

I think Archie has the chance to be a great hire. Yes, I know all too well about the up and coming coach taking over a blue blood (Billy G), but every coach starts somewhere. It will take a couple of years but I truly think that with the power of IU he will do great recruiting wise and I think he's a pretty good coach.

Not sure you know this, but Calipari has known the Miller's for most of his life. I think he played for Archie and Sean's dad at some point. Funny how small the coaching world is.

I think Archie is a better X's and O's coach than his brother and we will see how he does with recruiting. If I am honest, Archie is a guy I have had my eye on for the future when Cal retires. You think coaches are turning down IU for crazy fans, wait until Cal retires. No one will want to follow him. Not because he is the best coach in the world, but because he is tailor made for UK in marketing and recruiting.

I wouldn't hang my head too low brother. There just aren't a lot of great coaches out there with experience outside of the ones that will be retiring in the next 5-10 years. There will be a whole new landscape in college basketball in 10 years without Cal, K, Williams, Boeheim, etc. I get your non-excitement after Crean, but everyone starts somewhere and Archie is the most likely of the newest of coaches to succeed IMO.
Did you see what Billy G did at his tiny alma mater?

Ranger College[edit]

In April 2015, it was announced that Gillispie would become the new basketball coach and athletic director at Ranger College, a junior college and his alma mater.

After using ineligible players and other violations, his 2015–16 Ranger College men's basketball team will forfeit all games from that season and have been placed on probation by the NJCAA for the 2016 – 2017 season.[38] On December 7, 2016, Gillispie announced his immediate retirement from coaching, citing severe health issues related to his blood pressure.[39]

Crazy!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:16 AM   #78
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Did you see what Billy G did at his tiny alma mater?

Ranger College[edit]

In April 2015, it was announced that Gillispie would become the new basketball coach and athletic director at Ranger College, a junior college and his alma mater.

After using ineligible players and other violations, his 2015–16 Ranger College men's basketball team will forfeit all games from that season and have been placed on probation by the NJCAA for the 2016 – 2017 season.[38] On December 7, 2016, Gillispie announced his immediate retirement from coaching, citing severe health issues related to his blood pressure.[39]

Crazy!
Yeah, that dude is the definition of a train wreck
Old 03-28-2017, 11:19 AM   #79
MVP

OVR: 15

Marquette wasn't some small school. Tom Crean also made a Final Four there and had Dwayne Wade there.

It's ridiculous to just loop in Archie Miller with Billy Gillespie like that with no evidence that they have similar personalities. Also what has Archie done to be considered mediocre?

I don't know who you were expecting to hire when Stevens and Donovan aren't interested in leaving the NBA.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:35 AM   #80
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Illinois tried their hardest to keep Crean at IU.
Good luck with the carpet bagger you just hired.
Hopefully he will make you relevant again, but then he might leave if he does.
lol I'm very happy with the "carpet bagger" we just hired.

He might leave but whoever wants to hire him is going to have to pay one hell of a buyout if they want him and if he's looking to leave that means he is leaving Illinois in a much better place than where he found it.

If OSU compensated him better he wouldn't have been looking to jump after 1 year, that's what happens when you give a good coach a 1 million a year contract with a 3 million buyout. OSU AD should have seen the writing on the wall when Underwood wanted his contract renegotiated in line with the Big XII average, he refused and the rest is history.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »