Home

2018 Conference Tournament Discussion

This is a discussion on 2018 Conference Tournament Discussion within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 15
2018 Conference Tournament Discussion

I figure we can get this thread started with the regular season wrapping up for a # of leagues including the Big 10.

Spoiler below going over all the leagues that have wrapped up.

Spoiler

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #2
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: 2018 Conference Tournament Discussion

Just got back from the SIU vs. Missouri State game. Go Dawgs!

Exciting but frustrating game for an SIU fan. They were very passive and didn't push the ball very much. When they did, they built up an 11 or 12 point lead. Then the immediately took out the hot starters and started playing passively again. Then Pippen, who was a big difference maker on the inside, was taken out with about 2 minutes left.

MSU was alternating between a 3-2 zone and a man defense early, and SIU had no idea how to break either. They were passing on the man defense and trying pick and rolls on the zone. They continued using pick and rolls on the zone basically to halftime. It was frustrating, and even more it was unbelievable to me that a college coach doesn't make sure his players know how to read and beat a zone and man defense.

I'll give credit where credit is due, MSU switched to a 1-3-1 and after being foiled by it once, SIU ended that one quickly.

The entire starting 5 had a good second half. LLoyd was great and with Pippen was probably the reason SIU won that game. Lloyd played great D and Pippen was handling business in the post. Smithpeters was awful with his decision making in the second half.

Overall, they got lucky that MSU wasn't more talented. If they play that way again they'll get beat in a hurry. They got outcoached big time.

- Rick Wise
Old 03-02-2018, 10:35 PM   #3
MVP

Rutgers Purdue... Gus Johnson Bill Raftery alert.

Old 03-03-2018, 12:27 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunselpower32
Just got back from the SIU vs. Missouri State game. Go Dawgs!

Exciting but frustrating game for an SIU fan. They were very passive and didn't push the ball very much. When they did, they built up an 11 or 12 point lead. Then the immediately took out the hot starters and started playing passively again. Then Pippen, who was a big difference maker on the inside, was taken out with about 2 minutes left.

MSU was alternating between a 3-2 zone and a man defense early, and SIU had no idea how to break either. They were passing on the man defense and trying pick and rolls on the zone. They continued using pick and rolls on the zone basically to halftime. It was frustrating, and even more it was unbelievable to me that a college coach doesn't make sure his players know how to read and beat a zone and man defense.

I'll give credit where credit is due, MSU switched to a 1-3-1 and after being foiled by it once, SIU ended that one quickly.

The entire starting 5 had a good second half. LLoyd was great and with Pippen was probably the reason SIU won that game. Lloyd played great D and Pippen was handling business in the post. Smithpeters was awful with his decision making in the second half.

Overall, they got lucky that MSU wasn't more talented. If they play that way again they'll get beat in a hurry. They got outcoached big time.
Interesting to see what goes in the Missouri Valley with the Wichita State departure. Loyola Chicago is the 1 seed in its 1st year in the conference.

The 1st bid to the tournament will be given out on Saturday in the OVC: Murray State vs Belmont. That should be a pretty good game.

Sunday, we have 4 bids being given out: Big South, Missouri Valley, Atlantic Sun and Big 10.

Big South- Radford vs Liberty
Atlantic Sun- Lipscomb at Florida Gulf Coast

Missouri Valley and Big 10- TBD with semi-finals tomorrow.

In other conference tournament news, the top 2 seeds ( Ride, Cansius) were knocked out by the 7 and 9 seed in the MAAC quarterfinals. I think the top seed gets knocked out early almost every year in the MAAC.

Top seeds knocked out of their tournaments so far and clinched a NIT bid in the process:

Big South- UNC Asheville
MAAC- Rider

Old 03-03-2018, 04:23 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Man, when Sparty started fouling with a bit under 3 mins left I thought "uh oh, here we go, fatal flaw about to be exposed", but Michigan didn't clank nearly as many FTs as I figured, hopefully that can hold up
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #6
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

Sparty wanted revenge but got another L to hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #7
All Star

BleacherBum2310's Arena

OVR: 24

Nebraska and MSU both Wanted Michigan. Didn't work out too well.

this team is really good... giving Beilein a top 10 Defense in the nation team seems like a mistake lol
Old 03-03-2018, 08:57 PM   #8
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Damn, Maryland y’all ain’t ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »