Home

Al's Idiots - The Virginia Cavaliers Thread

This is a discussion on Al's Idiots - The Virginia Cavaliers Thread within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Al's Idiots - The Virginia Cavaliers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
Of course you don't (I wouldn't expect you to ), and you're welcome, though for what it's worth I didn't think Tech was any great shakes on Saturday either. I'm still not impressed with Tyrod Taylor at all, but that's neither here nor there; each of us have our own team's problems to worry about before we should concern ourselves with each other's squad, IMO.
Yeah, Tech didn't play very well, and I'm also not impressed with Tyrod, as I felt like he just didn't play like the QB VT fans thought he would be.

Anyway, VT and UVA are still rivals.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Old 09-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #18
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

The only guys I want taking over the program are either...

Mike London
Turner Gill
Tommy Tuberville

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintyfresh85

Mike London
Turner Gill
Tommy Tuberville
If you guys get one of those three, I'd be worried about UVA, because they might be relevant again (especially if you get Gill, dude's a hell of a coach).

OS OT Post Champ '11

Old 09-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

In a move that might just serve to further piss me off, Vic Hall is still our starting quarterback; in fact, nothing on the depth chart changed. Let's see if the coaches give him a passing play that isn't a short one-read roll out this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintyfresh85

Mike London
Turner Gill
Tommy Tuberville
I'm a huge fan on Mike London, personally, but I'm not sure if he's ready.

I'm not giving up on this season yet, as we can't possibly play any worse than we did Saturday, can we? And the Hoos have dropped a huge egg in every opener they've played since 2005, so this is nothing new. If the team responds by even playing well in a losing effort to TCU, I might be okay, certainly enough to withhold judgement for another week. If we get housed though, then I'm off this ship.
Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #21
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
...the Hoos have dropped a huge egg in every opener they've played since 2005, so this is nothing new. If the team responds by even playing well in a losing effort to TCU, I might be okay...
Wow dude. I mean, I don't want to be negative... but, dude... get pissed! Al Groh is a waste of a coach and you put up with games where you lose to FCS schools and lose to mid-majors?

You should not be on the ship any more, at least with regard to Groh, and I'm shocked it's taken the Hoos this long to get rid of him. Granted, I want him to stay, but that's because he's only beaten Virginia Tech ONCE in his tenure of what, 8,9 years? And VT doesn't have an offense!

If Jim Tressel went 1-8 against Michigan to start his tenure, you can bet your *** he's fired faster than you can say "Charlottesville". Yet it seems as though UVA is totally fine with substandard play from their football team.

I dunno, it was just kind of shocking to see you say that Kri.

OS OT Post Champ '11

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-12-2009, 02:11 AM   #22
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

I definitely hear you on that, and it definitely does piss me off, but I'm not sure at this point who we could have now, or could have hired previously, that could have done better than Groh as UVa head football coach (that we could have realistically had as our head coach). Feel free to suggest some names.

As to Al Groh himself, Groh is a fine X's and O's coach, moreso on defense than on offense (I don't think he's ever taken control of the offense during his tenure here, but we've had good offense here at times), but his player personnel management is by far the worst in the conference and has been for some time now. That and the fact that we can't recruit southeast Virginia for various reasons (as such, Tech owns that part of the state) is crippling to the consistent success of the team.

Groh has had a long leash because he's a UVa guy through and through; he graduated from here, from a character standpoint represents The University well, he's had some success here (albeit inconsistent success), and (in what might be the only concern of the athletic department as far as I can tell) he's made VAF money to help us fund our far more successful non-revenue sport programs, such as soccer, tennis, swimming, and lacrosse.

That last point is changing, however, as I'm pretty sure I heard that UVa was the only school in the state to have declining football season ticket sales vs. last year's numbers. If that is true and I'm right that VAF's only concern is money, then put that on top of last season and this most recent loss to W&M and I think he's finally losing rope. Honestly, I still think it'd take a really crappy season to get him canned, though, and if he gets to five wins this year (particularly if he somehow beats a big-name ranked conference opponent late, VT or otherwise) then I think he keeps his job by firing our new offensive coordinator Gregg Brandon.

It's really sad that I'm resorting to this level of thinking about the program, but it's out of my hands. I'm looking for anything to get a morale boost about the state of Virginia football, honestly. If it's a competitive game against TCU, or canning Groh, or really any significant change whatsoever, I'll take it.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 09-12-2009 at 02:15 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #23
Where have I been?

Lintyfresh85's Arena

OVR: 37

Bye bye Al!

I don't care about those two garbage time TD's by Sewell. When the starters were in for both teams, we lost 30-0.

Pack your backs Al, I never want to see you face around these parts again.

Member of the Official OS Bills Backers Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Hell, I shot my grandmother, cuz she was old.
Old 09-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #24
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

I think the thing I'm most disappointed in is that, when the game actually mattered, we had the EXACT same gameplan as what we "attacked" W&M with. It was truly maddening.

I didn't panic last weekend, but now I'm giving up hope and drowning my sorrows. This is inexcusable, Al Groh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »