Home

London Calling: The Virginia Cavaliers

This is a discussion on London Calling: The Virginia Cavaliers within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: London Calling: The Virginia Cavaliers

Poindexter is a great college coach in my opinion, especially at UVA. He's done nothing noteworthy because UVA hasn't done anything yet. He's done a good job coaching the positions he's been assigned to. The fact that the players love him and kind of look up to him is awesome for a college coaching staff, the more guys like that the better.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
Banned

I don't like the nonsense talk about black coaches though. A coach is a coach, teams should hire the best person available. I'm hoping they hired London because he was the best candidate and not because he's black.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #11
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingmgt
I don't like the nonsense talk about black coaches though. A coach is a coach, teams should hire the best person available. I'm hoping they hired London because he was the best candidate and not because he's black.
I don't think London's race had anything to do with it. Among other more important reasons for his hiring (as implied by our athletic director Craig Littlepage during the press conference announcing London's hiring):
  • London has been on UVa coaching staffs twice in the past, and as recently as 2007 as our defensive coordinator; 2007 was the last year we were any good, as we posted a 9-3 record that year
  • London has a track record of success at Richmond, albeit a short one, that includes an FCS national championship
  • London is well-traveled in Virginia and has the ability to recruit within the state, and specifically the talent-rich Hampton Roads area; this something Al Groh could not do as he alienated many high school coaches across the state with his recruiting style, and in turn this is one of many reasons we struggled against Virginia Tech during Groh's tenure
  • London is a high-character man; a good fit for a team with as many character issues as UVa has had recently
  • London emphasizes academic excellence as something just as important as athletic excellence; given that he's coaching at UVa where the academic performance of the student-athlete is a much larger priority than it is at many other FBS schools, this is particularly noteworthy

That said, provided I'm correct that London vs. Shannon will be the first collegiate football matchup featuring two African-American head coaches (still not sure if I'm right on that), it's a significant step for the culture of college football that ought to be recognized and applauded.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 12-09-2009 at 03:09 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Banned

I'm ready for spring practice to start already. It's gonna be a crazy long winter after the bowls

Last edited by Sting; 12-09-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

London officially brought over three of his assistants from Richmond (none have been given specific position group assignments yet) and he also announced that he's officially retaining Anthony Poindexter. The status of tight ends coach Bob Price, one of the most tenured coaches remaining from Groh's staff and a holdover from the George Welsh era, is still up in the air.

There's a strange rumor going around that former UVa star and self-proclaimed great quarterback Aaron Brooks, who most notably played with the New Orleans Saints in the NFL for a number of seasons, has interest in being our quarterbacks coach. I don't know how effective of a coach he'd be, but I think he could be a capable recruiter.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM   #14
Banned

I didn't even know Brooks was coaching at all
Old 01-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
MVP

Tomahawk's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
London officially brought over three of his assistants from Richmond (none have been given specific position group assignments yet) and he also announced that he's officially retaining Anthony Poindexter. The status of tight ends coach Bob Price, one of the most tenured coaches remaining from Groh's staff and a holdover from the George Welsh era, is still up in the air.

There's a strange rumor going around that former UVa star and self-proclaimed great quarterback Aaron Brooks, who most notably played with the New Orleans Saints in the NFL for a number of seasons, has interest in being our quarterbacks coach. I don't know how effective of a coach he'd be, but I think he could be a capable recruiter.
No worries about the "great" Aaron Brooks returning. According to a couple of local newspapers the Hoos have hired someone who was actually a pretty good QB at UVA - Shawn Moore.

Link #1: http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/...&back=archives

Link #2: http://www.roanoke.com/sports/uvafootball/wb/232244
  • LETS GO BRUINS!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2010, 03:38 PM   #16
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk
No worries about the "great" Aaron Brooks returning. According to a couple of local newspapers the Hoos have hired someone who was actually a pretty good QB at UVA - Shawn Moore.

Link #1: http://www.martinsvillebulletin.com/...&back=archives

Link #2: http://www.roanoke.com/sports/uvafootball/wb/232244
...um, Brooks did just fine at QB for the Hoos, by my memory anyway. Had a pretty good pro career as well.

That said, as a college player, Shawn Moore was better. I like this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »