Home

2010 Washington Huskies

This is a discussion on 2010 Washington Huskies within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #73
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: 2010 Washington Huskies

Also, regarding Locker running, Sark did say this:

Quote:
We lost an element of him moving around and running around. Once he'd run once, he couldn't get his wind back almost for the whole series until he could get to the bench so we were being very cautious when we moved him in the pocket or outside the pocket because it really had a lingering effect not just for one play but for down the road. ... I would have liked to get him out moving and running more and calling more quarterback runs. We weren't able to. Think I called three quarterback runs tonight because of the long-term effect of the game. I needed him to play four quarters., I don't know if he could have made it.
I mean Sark did get a gameplan going last week that was a perfect blend of run/pass for Locker, so it's not as if he can't. But when Locker can't catch his breath, it's probably not a good idea to keep trying to run him.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #74
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
...Right now, Sark has talked a lot and done little to back it up. I don't say that to slam him, either. I like him and think he'll improve as a coach, but I feel like he has really hurt Jake Locker. He is not your prototypical QB. He needs to get space, he needs to roll out, he needs to get some carries. He ran for nearly 1,000 yards as a freshman. He's a dual threat QB. I think Sark doesn't give UW their best chance to win when he handcuffs Jake. You can tell me I'm wrong and I'll listen, but that's just my opinion...
No you're pretty much right on. The thought that kept going through my head during the game was, "WTF is Sark doing???" They kept Locker in the pocket and turned an offense that looked dynamic last week to mediocre this week.

thaima1shu, if Locker was sick, maybe that had something to do with it...

Or it could be that they changed the gameplan around to adjust to the speed of ASU's defense, and if that's the case it was a big mistake. You still have to play to your strengths, which is getting Locker out of the pocket. He actually played pretty decent, but their offense needs to be more than decent, it needs to be clicking on all cylinders... Moving the ball and sustaining drives, and punching the ball across the goal line...

Locker sitting in the pocket just ain't gonna cut it, he pretty much never looks off defenders, and doesn't really have a feel for the pass rush... And so what you get is a sack here, an incompletion there... And you're punting the ball away.

5-14 on third down conversions tonight.

WTF is Sark doing?
Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #75
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by spit_bubble
No you're pretty much right on. The thought that kept going through my head during the game was, "WTF is Sark doing???" They kept Locker in the pocket and turned an offense that looked dynamic last week to mediocre this week.

thaima1shu, if Locker was sick, maybe that had something to do with it...

Or it could be that they changed the gameplan around to adjust to the speed of ASU's defense, and if that's the case it was a big mistake. You still have to play to your strengths, which is getting Locker out of the pocket. He actually played pretty decent, but their offense needs to be more than decent, it needs to be clicking on all cylinders... Moving the ball and sustaining drives, and punching the ball across the goal line...

Locker sitting in the pocket just ain't gonna cut it, he pretty much never looks off defenders, and doesn't really have a feel for the pass rush... And so what you get is a sack here, an incompletion there... And you're punting the ball away.

5-14 on third down conversions tonight.

WTF is Sark doing?
Read the post right above yours. I think it had a lot to do with it. I mean if Locker really was needing oxygen on the sidelines and couldn't catch his breath for an entire series after just one run, that kind of makes it tough to run him, I would think.

But, we still had chances to win this game, but fell short. Strange play calling at times, but also really bad execution by our players at times. Holding penalties, dropped passes (AGAIN!!!), suspect offensive line protection, etc. I mean there were lots of issues all around that had nothing to do with play calling. I mean this was really a game where everyone played a role in contributing to the loss. Nobody can really go without blame. I just think it's unfair to single out Locker, or Sark, or whoever. It was a team effort (or lack thereof).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2010, 04:07 AM   #76
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaima1shu
...I thought Sark did a good job of trying to roll Jake out today, but everytime he did, ASU had a LB spying him and right there waiting...
You can counter that with things like misdirection and quick slants. If a team is gonna give up a player to spy the QB that just opens things up for the rest of the offense...

And you can also move the pocket without having Locker fully roll out, if he's winded or even banged up... And those types of plays should already be in the playbook... Which apparently they aren't...

I guess they'll add them this week, and maybe by mid-season the offense will be ready to go.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:20 AM   #77
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
You can counter that with things like misdirection and quick slants. If a team is gonna give up a player to spy the QB that just opens things up for the rest of the offense...

And you can also move the pocket without having Locker fully roll out, if he's winded or even banged up... And those types of plays should already be in the playbook... Which apparently they aren't...

I guess they'll add them this week, and maybe by mid-season the offense will be ready to go.

Can't disagree with your first point. I don't recall us running too many slants. Would have to go back through and watch the game again, and this time not in the pouring rain.

Your second point though: Our offensive line has enough trouble protecting Jake without trying to move the pocket. That could end in disaster if we ask them to move the pocket. I mean I hate our offensive line. I thought they would improve, but think about this: who is our best offensive lineman? I say Erik Kohler, and by a LONG SHOT. And that's a true freshman. How freakin' sad is that? Kelemete was getting roughed up pretty good by a freshman DE today, I believe. Tolar is ... meh. Habben sucks tremendously. Christine gives good effort and is a nice story, but just not too talented. I don't believe that our offensive line improves until we get the guys Sark is recruiting in there. Our current o-line just isn't good enough.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #78
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
Read the post right above yours. I think it had a lot to do with it...

I just think it's unfair to single out Locker, or Sark, or whoever...
Yeah... Read it... And I see a coach trying to make excuses.

This is all pretty much on Sark at this point. The offense is so far behind where it needs to be... It took them three games to put together an offense suited to the talent on the field, and now we see their gameplan wasn't that strong in the first place as it had no consideration for the times Locker might need to catch his breath. Brilliant.

The offense was supposed to be the engine that makes this team go, and right now they're getting left in the dust... Especially when you consider this was a game they were supposed to win, on a schedule where you can't say that about many other games.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:27 AM   #79
Robot

thaima1shu's Arena

Quote:
Yeah... Read it... And I see a coach trying to make excuses.

This is all pretty much on Sark at this point. The offense is so far behind where it needs to be... It took them three games to put together an offense suited to the talent on the field, and now we see their gameplan wasn't that strong in the first place as it had no consideration for the times Locker might need to catch his breath. Brilliant.

The offense was supposed to be the engine that makes this team go, and right now they're getting left in the dust... Especially when you consider this was a game they were supposed to win, on a schedule where you can't say that about many other games.
I think it's absurd to say it's ALL on Sark. He deserves some blame, but the players also have to do their parts. What would you have done about Locker being sick enough that he had to be sucking oxygen on the sidelines?

Sark has had issues so far, but the players aren't really helping his cause either. Jermaine Kearse is still dropping passes that he needs to catch. If he grabs that 4th and 5 catch that hit him right in the hands, maybe we're singing a different tune right now. As I said, our offensive line needs to get better. One thing that I would like to see Sark do, however, is use Chris Polk more. The kid is a monster and perhaps pounding the rock a bit more than we have could open things up even more.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #80
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Quote:
...Our offensive line has enough trouble protecting Jake without trying to move the pocket...

That's one of the reasons you move the pocket... When your offensive line can't protect the QB straight up.

When a QB drops back to the same spot every time the defense can just rear back and go. When you move the pocket they don't get that same sort of push, and it opens up counter plays on top of that... Plus, Locker throws better when moving...

You don't have to fully roll him out either, just slide one way or the other... Giving him short passing options if there is that LB spy...

And then that opens up play action down the field...

There's too much talent on offense for them not to be producing.

WTF is Sark doing?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »