Home

2012 Texas Longhorns

This is a discussion on 2012 Texas Longhorns within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #25
Rookie

gordogg24p's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: 2012 Texas Longhorns

I'm a bit late to this, but whatever.

Anyway, I only saw highlights of the Spring Game (no LHN), but I was VERY impressed with Connor Brewer. Sure, he was throwing against the 3rd team defense, but he had a couple tosses with some nice touch.

I'm looking forward to Jalen Overstreet getting on campus in a few weeks. As I recall, the second Fozzy went down against Mizzou, people started realizing he wouldn't be back this fall to run the Wild Horn (or whatever UT-themed name they came up with), and Jalen's name was thrown around due to his ATH status. I could very sell see Connor redshirting this fall, and letting Jalen take snaps in that role.

If Case McCoy doesn't see a start at all this year (and I don't expect him to), I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't in Austin on 2013. I can't imagine he tolerates being 2nd string to a kid a year younger than him with the recruits of Brewer, Overstreet, and then Swoopes stacking up behind him.

As for D.J. Monroe, I'm glad they found a place for him out at WR. If the wishbone with Gray, Brown, and Bergeron does indeed become a thing, having another ground weapon in Monroe on the edges just makes things ever more terrifying. Hell, let's call up Air Force and Georgia Tech and such and get a ridiculous option attack going.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-08-2012, 03:01 AM   #26
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

OVR: 19

I went to the spring game and agree about Connor Brewer. He made one throw that I havent seen any Texas QB since Colt make, where he dropped it over the shoulder right into the WR's basket near the sideline. He looked much more comfortable than he did in the UA game.

I like Jalen too, and am intrigued by him playing at QB. Not sure if he is ready to run the Wild yet though... I think that will be either Hills, Shipley, or maybe Brown. Overstreet might get big too, so he could end up at TE or LB or something. Also, Swoopes might make things difficult for Jalen at QB later in his career.

Case apparently sent out transfer feelers after the coaches said Ash was going to start the Holiday Bowl. Word is there was little-to-no response from any school he was interested in. I think he is content where he is at. If he works really hard, and injuries happen, then he could have a shot at playing time at Texas. That is as good as things are going to get for him unless he drastically improves. I see him just riding out his career and seeing what happens.

I agree about Monroe. It is infuriating to see him under-utilized like he has been. Also read that Texas coaches have been working on a diamond formation with Brown/Bergeron/Gray all on the field at the same time.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #27
Rookie

gordogg24p's Arena

OVR: 2

I just think having Jalen in there to run the Wild gives the formation a lot more potential to trick defenses, given that he can throw in some reasonable capacity. That adds another dimension to an already-successful attack out of that formation when it was run with Fozzy in charge.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be interesting.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordogg24p
I just think having Jalen in there to run the Wild gives the formation a lot more potential to trick defenses, given that he can throw in some reasonable capacity. That adds another dimension to an already-successful attack out of that formation when it was run with Fozzy in charge.

Whatever happens, I'm sure it'll be interesting.
I agree that they have multiple people capable of running the wild. I just think that if Harsin wants whoever runs it to make reads (last year there were no reads. everything out of that formation was ran as called) it might take someone who is used to going against D1 defenses and already adjusted to the speed of the game. That formation was so important to Texas last year. When fozzy went out, so did a huge chunk of their offense. Imagine being able to use DJ Monroe and Daje Johnson off those jet/fly sweeps with a powerful runner like Brown or Hills taking the snap. Also, dont forget about shipley's arm! He might be one of the top 3 passers on the team and could cause some serious headaches if he takes direct snaps.

Jalen might get a package of plays similar to what david ash ran at the beginning of last year. All shotgun, read option type stuff with an extra blocker and motion with someone running fly option. Any throws will be screens or throwbacks or lobs over the top to someone wide open.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wUhwj7mxW8
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #29
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

Apparently Jalen Overstreet (QB) is the only incoming Freshman that doesnt struggle with Bennie Wylie's workouts. He is also throwing up to 500 balls a day, working on mechanics etc.

I think I am more excited about this year's Freshman than last years... If Jalen can come in and run the package of plays that Ash did last year, or run the wildcat successfully I would be pumped.

Not to mention Johnathan Gray, Malcolm Brown (DT), Torshiro Davis, and Dalton Santos among others that will probably see the field early. Cant wait!

Old 07-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 1

Really looking forward to this year. Big games early are the WVU game and as always OU. This teams spectrum is so wide! If Ash plays well/very good, I mean this team could contend for BCS. If he struggles and we go on another QB carousel with McCoy....it could be just above .500. Feeling good about the D. Real good.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #31
Rookie

100% Texan's Arena

OVR: 0

i'm not confident about the qb play at all.

we know the defense and the run game will be straight but that qb play has to get better.

byndom & diggs

make it rain

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #32
MVP

Maxattax3's Arena

I dont think Ash has to be great, or even good, for Texas to have success. If the offense/QB can just take care of the ball and not turn it over constantly the Horns could have a great season.

I am still sticking with my 9-3 prediction for now.

Quote:
make it rain
I love this celebration/gesture for this team.

Last edited by Maxattax3; 07-18-2012 at 05:09 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »