Home

2014 Michigan Wolverines: Team 135

This is a discussion on 2014 Michigan Wolverines: Team 135 within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #57
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: 2014 Michigan Wolverines: Team 135

It amazes me how you can have the exact same problems under two different coaching staffs.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 09-20-2014, 10:55 PM   #58
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
Recruiting? Who cares. These coaches can't develop for ****. It's a roster FULL of highly recruited kids, and they suck.....
Yup. Been saying this for a while now. Particularly on the OL and DL, which is supposed to be Hoke's specialty. This has to be one of the worst Defensive Lines I have seen out of Michigan in years.

I don't have a huge issue with Doug Nussmeier simply because this is his first year and dude is working with severely underdeveloped talent. I don't see how Hoke keeps his job after today's performance though, hell, even the win last week against Miami of Ohio was extremely unimpressive and way more "hard fought" than it needed to be.

Last edited by Illustrator76; 09-20-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:58 PM   #59
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Tigers fans, who's less reliable, Joe Nathan or Devin Gardner? Neither can ****ing throw
Old 09-21-2014, 12:04 AM   #60
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda1202
I honestly believe that's where Michigan will be exposed most. The B1G is horrible this year and I still don't see Michigan finishing top 3 in their division.
That's what I mean. The conference will either expose us or show us that we are making progress. Either way, we'll see. I can't see Hoke being retained next season without winning over both MSU and OSU and at least making the B1G Championship Game. I agree that's not likely to happen. If there's any silver lining, our run defense looks like it has a prayer of holding up in conference play for the 1st time in a while.

Quote:
How anybody can continue to drink the koolaid after that abortion laid on the field today is beyond me.

Recruiting? Who cares. These coaches can't develop for ****. It's a roster FULL of highly recruited kids, and they suck.

Fan draw? Congrats, the last two weeks have been the lowest attendance in two decades. The athletic director is intentionally hostile to his paying customers.

The Nussmeier talk is laughable BS. Same nonsense that took place in the RR years about the defensive coordinator. "Oh he needs time." "Oh he needs to put in his system." "Oh they're young." Bunk. This is Hoke's fourth year, and the offense is a disgrace. If you can't figure out what you've got by year 4, you have nothing.

No conferences losses. Congrats. Because scoring zero offensive touchdowns against "Power 5" competition in two full games bodes well for the conference schedule.
I think there's a difference between drinking the koolaid and just being a fan of your team. There are so many people out there who are just bags of negative energy and I don't see the point of that. Then you lose twice. Once when your team loses and then you're miserable and hate everything afterward. I'm disappointed after a loss, but it tends not to linger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loccdogg26
Might have to make that 7 hour trip.
It would be well worth it. I'd recommend tix in the student's section as well. If you've never been to AA before, you should check out Zingerman's deli also. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
It amazes me how you can have the exact same problems under two different coaching staffs.

Sent from my SCH-i705 using Tapatalk
The problems are exact opposites. Under Rod, we had no defense. I was at the game against Illinois where we won something like 65-64 in 1 billion overtimes.

Under Hoke, our offense is the problem. Our run defense is one of the best units in the country and our pass defense is decent when Peppers and Taylor are out there and will only get better. I don't understand the "exact same problems" part at all. If you mean 'the same' as in losing too many games, well, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrator76
Yup. Been saying this for a while now. Particularly on the OL and DL, which is supposed to be Hoke's specialty. This has to be one of the worst Defensive Lines I have seen out of Michigan in years.

I don't have a huge issue with Doug Nussmeier simply because this is his first year and dude is working with severely underdeveloped talent. I don't see how Hoke keeps his job after today's performance though, hell, even the win last week against Miami of Ohio was extremely unimpressive and way more "hard fought" than it needed to be.
You must be new, lol. Our defense and the line is so much better than anything we've had since Mike Martin left it's not funny. Willie Henry, Beyer, Clark etc are legit. Remember not that long ago we had a converted O-Lineman as our #1 DT in Quinton Washington. See any year under Rod for a worse D-Line. Carr had some very mediocre units also--save for standout individuals like Brandon Graham and Mike Martin--after that beastly 2006 team.

I agree with you on Nuss. Give him a year to work with a QB before donning the lanterns and pitchforks. Alabama did ok with him there.

Hoke needs to win some rivalry games and likely a B1G Championship Game berth to keep his tenure going into next season. The issue might be how stubborn will Dave Brandon be about his hire even if we do finish barely bowl eligible etc..? Personally, I do want to see some progress out of QB play, playcalling etc.. before endorsing another year of Brady.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:18 AM   #61
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Alabama did ok with him there.

And they've done "ok" without him.

But once again, the coordinator talk is a red herring. Nussmeier executes the gameplan Hoke tells him to execute, just like Borges. Just like Greg Robinson ran the defense Rodriguez and his drinking buddies told him to. The responsibility for the failure lands on Hoke, and with it being this horrendous in Year 4, Hoke has forfeited the right to have a Year 5. He was a mediocre coach before he got here, but the Michigan Man™ cabal deluded themselves into thinking that the key to winning at Michigan was simply knowing the words to the fight song.

This program is deceased. There is no leadership on this team, no accountability, and the players do not fear or respect the coaches. Every single game on the schedule is a potential loss now, and as the losses mount, these kids will quit on the coaches and quit on each other.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2014, 12:33 AM   #62
MVP

Amoo316's Arena

OVR: 19

Dear Michigan,

Please don't take the coach we want this offseason, unless it's a bad one, then he's all yours.

Love,

Florida Fans
NBA: Heat
NCAA: Florida & Miss State
NFL: Whichever team currently has the most of my favorite college players
NHL: Caps
Tennis: The Joker & Sloane Stevens
WWE: Dean Ambrose
Misc: Anybody wearing a Team USA jersey
Old 09-21-2014, 12:36 AM   #63
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear

The problems are exact opposites. Under Rod, we had no defense. I was at the game against Illinois where we won something like 65-64 in 1 billion overtimes.

Under Hoke, our offense is the problem. Our run defense is one of the best units in the country and our pass defense is decent when Peppers and Taylor are out there and will only get better. I don't understand the "exact same problems" part at all. If you mean 'the same' as in losing too many games, well, yeah.
Wait, you don't think defense is a problem? The defense that let a true freshman QB beat them last year? Or let Indiana break records against them last year? Or a defense that let a backup QB for Utah drive down the field today? The offense also sucked under RR when it counted most.

Mediocre QB play, poor line play, and below average defense. Nothing has changed from.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 09-21-2014, 01:44 AM   #64
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
And they've done "ok" without him.

But once again, the coordinator talk is a red herring. Nussmeier executes the gameplan Hoke tells him to execute, just like Borges. Just like Greg Robinson ran the defense Rodriguez and his drinking buddies told him to. The responsibility for the failure lands on Hoke, and with it being this horrendous in Year 4, Hoke has forfeited the right to have a Year 5. He was a mediocre coach before he got here, but the Michigan Man™ cabal deluded themselves into thinking that the key to winning at Michigan was simply knowing the words to the fight song.

This program is deceased. There is no leadership on this team, no accountability, and the players do not fear or respect the coaches. Every single game on the schedule is a potential loss now, and as the losses mount, these kids will quit on the coaches and quit on each other.
Strong disagree. It's well established that Hoke is not running the offense. He's a D-Line coach who doesn't call plays. Doesn't wear a headset. So, no, Nuss is not doing what Hoke is telling him to on offense. That's clear with Nuss running up and down the sidelines with the headset on calling plays. Borges did his thing as well. Hoke might be vaguely involved in the gameplan throughout the week--although I'd doubt much involvement there at all--but he's not controlling the offensive scheme. I do think the way this offense has struggled out of the gate this year shows that DG probably shoulders more of the blame, and Al Borges less, than most of us thought.

I also think the people quitting on each other and no leadership and the plague running rampant through the streets of Southeast Michigan is a wee tad melodramatic. Ok, so I made up that last one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Wait, you don't think defense is a problem? The defense that let a true freshman QB beat them last year? Or let Indiana break records against them last year? Or a defense that let a backup QB for Utah drive down the field today? The offense also sucked under RR when it counted most.

Mediocre QB play, poor line play, and below average defense. Nothing has changed from.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
I thought we were talking bout Team 135? Most of your examples are not even related to this year's team.

RR's offense produced a legitimate Heisman Trophy contender in Denard Robinson, so I'm not convinced the offense is what did us in back then. It was the defense getting mauled and making Denard need to throw to keep even and he wasn't a passer, but a dual threat QB. The offense sputtering was because the defense made it do too much.

The defense actually did fine today. Take away a punt return TD and about 27 zillion field goals, and does it really look that bad? The main problem for the defense this year has been the offense. The playcalling and QB play and turnovers have made them need to do way too much and put them in a position where they have to defend the run and the pass all game from a team in the lead. Getting ahead makes it so much simpler to attack and defend. But, DG has forgot how to play at a high level--it's actually pretty striking how bad his reads/footwork/decisions have become--so, we struggle to score.

This year, O-Line play is better than last year and that's with true frosh Mone taking over for All American Lewan and Braden in for Schofield. The D is above average. D-Line is about the same as last year. I should've also mentioned that walk-on DT Ryan Glasgow looks great out there.

The offense is KILLING us. But, we *could* contend in the B1G with this defense if the offense were even decent. Again, night and day from RR's teams.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 09-21-2014 at 01:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »