Home

2016 Michigan Wolverines | BAUGH SO HAR

This is a discussion on 2016 Michigan Wolverines | BAUGH SO HAR within the College Football Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2016, 12:26 PM   #33
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: 2016 Michigan Wolverines | BAUGH SO HAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
The Buffs should be a slightly tougher test next week, although I expect us to suffocate a more conventional type of offense. I am not expecting a blowout though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I do think Colorado will be bring a decent test though. Neat how our schedule is shaking out as getting progressively more challenging.
Yeah I agree and let me correct my prior comment. I hadn't paid much attention to CU at all, but by all accounts they are an aggressively up-tempo spread team. Not a conventional type of offense (re: pro style). This should be a good test for our stamina, depth and discipline on defense. It will also be a decent bellwether for if Don Brown's defense can handle that type of offense better schematically than we've seen in the past.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:39 PM   #34
Rookie

Godzilla63's Arena

OVR: 0

Don Brown can't stop the spread. Colorado will score 50 easy if they don't get pressure with the front four. The likes of Ohio are gonna score tons.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #35
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla63
Don Brown can't stop the spread. Colorado will score 50 easy if they don't get pressure with the front four. The likes of Ohio are gonna score tons.

Doesn't look like it. The defense is hitting Liufau enough that he's become inaccurate. Other than Dymonte Thomas on 2 Colorado TD posters, they haven't really given up a whole lot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2016, 05:38 PM   #36
Rookie

Godzilla63's Arena

OVR: 0

They definitely played better in the 2nd quarter. It was looking like Liufau was having his way. Colorado kinda stopped spreading the field at times, which surprised me.

Liked the way we closed the half on offense. Need to get Deveon going. Speight needs to relax. If we need to keep calling those drag routes to Butt so be it. Him trying to win the game on each deep throw isn't gonna accomplish anything

Old 09-17-2016, 10:09 PM   #37
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Well, a win is a win. And despite how the game unfolded, the end result was about what it was supposed to be. The line was about 20 points and the final score (45-28) was 2 missed Michigan FGs and 1 missed Buffs FG away from exactly that (51-31). The fact that Colorado went up so early makes the perception of the game a bit different.

Wilton Speight was very average and I take back the "H" word that I mentioned about him. His awareness is only so so (he doesn't feel pressure very well and he can get robotic with his reads); there were about 3 or 4 passes that he should've never attempted (although no picks). I do like how he doesn't dwell on his mistakes though. He also did some nice things with extending plays and escaping with his limited mobility/throwing on the run. Hopefully he can continue to get better and progress through his reads faster.

The run game was much better against the best rush D they've played so far. That was very encouraging. Taking away the sacks, it was something like 35 carries for 185 yards which is very Jim Harbaughesque. The offensive line was solid even though Kalis made a hand full of mistakes/whiffs. Braden looks like he's healthier than last week.

The defense once again was stung for a few big plays, this time through the air, but mostly dominant. Liufau had a streaky run and the secondary (the safeties) was beat deep 2 or 3 times, but there wasn't much of a CU running game (15 yards was their longest rush). The 275 yards ceded to UCF definitely seems like a fluke. Glasgow, Wormley, and Gary were all outstanding and it's scary to think what adding Mone and Charlton back at some point would do. Godin did ok and was out there a lot. The secondary looks like it'll be mostly feast or famine (Dymonte Thomas is mostly famine right now) and treading water until Jourdan Lewis comes back.

Jabrill Peppers was the best player on the field and it wasn't close. Not as loud of a Heisman case as Lamar Jackson, but Jabrill's putting his name in the hat. He had 9 tackles, 3.5 TFL, 1 sack, 2 huge hits, a return TD, and over 200 combined yards. Charles Woodson, eat your heart out.

McCray had a dumb offsides penalty on a 3rd down that led to one of CU's scores and Darboh's drop on our first drive, I think, was one of the key reasons the early momentum went against us. But, that's all fixable. No worries there.

Really, my biggest worries right now for this team are (1) Kenny Allen looked shaky on both kicks and punts, and (2) how long are some of these key players (Lewis, Charlton, Mone) going to be sidelined? I don't think we'll get seriously challenged until 10/29.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 09-17-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:26 PM   #38
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Allen can't handle all three kicking duties. He was fine-not-spectacular kicking FGs last year, but the added duties of handling kickoffs and punts has overwhelmed him. I don't think there's a solution though, apparently Quinn Nordin is injured.

I think both Lewis and Charlton could've gone today if they were truly "needed." I know the defense got toasted a couple times today, so the gimmes are over, and I expect/hope that both of them will be back next week. Lewis apparently overdid it in training camp and has a bad muscle strain which they're being exceptionally careful with; Taco is fine, today was them just being extra-cautious to make sure he's 100% for Big 10 play.

Mone is trickier. Media said they saw him today with no crutches and a small brace on the knee. Earliest return is Wisconsin; nervous rumors that it might be longer.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:03 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 20

^Taco and Lewis both back for PSU, you think?
Old 09-19-2016, 06:04 PM   #40
2023 National Champions

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
^Taco and Lewis both back for PSU, you think?

Yep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football > College Football Official Team Threads »