Home

USC & UCLA to both wear home jersey Saturday

This is a discussion on USC & UCLA to both wear home jersey Saturday within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Faceuary!

N51_rob's Arena

OVR: 54
Pete Carrol is funny.

He is prepared to give up 2 timeouts against UCLA to wear the USC home jerseys.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3738795

Quote:
USC coach Pete Carroll says the NCAA can have two of his timeouts from Saturday's crosstown rivalry game with UCLA. He just wants his players to wear their home colors.

Carroll said on Monday that the Trojans would wear their cardinal red home jerseys on Saturday at the Rose Bowl. That violates an NCAA rule that requires visiting teams to wear white, and the infraction will cost him two timeouts, one per half.

The last time the Trojans and the Bruins both wore home jerseys -- the Trojans in red, the Bruins in blue and gold -- was in 1982, when the schools shared the Los Angeles Coliseum.

"I just thought it was a really cool tradition," Carroll said.

As for losing timeouts? "I don't care about it right now," Carroll said. "I think it's the fun thing to do, and I think the fans will appreciate it over time."

Carroll said the decision to wear home jerseys is not meant as a sign of disrespect to UCLA, adding that he discussed restoring the tradition with former UCLA coach Karl Dorrell and with current coach Rick Neuheisel.

"It's exciting," Neuheisel said. "I think wearing the home jerseys is a great tradition."

In the meantime, the Pacific 10 Conference has forwarded a request to NCAA football rules committee secretary Rogers Redding, seeking to change the rule. Pac 10 commissioner Tom Hansen said he expected to a decision by Tuesday.
Risky, but I like it. I hope the NCAA changes the rule though.

Twitch

Finally Access to Coaches Tape! Coaches Film Analysis

2 Minute Warning PS4 Madden 18 Franchise
Washington Redskins (0-0) Last Game: N/A
Year 1:
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Champs

Husker_OS's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: Pete Carrol is funny.

Something tells me Southern Cal is going to destory UCLA and the timeouts won't even be a factor.

Alabama National Championships

1925-1926-1930-1934-1945-1961-1964-1965-1966-1978-1979-1992-2009-2011-2012-2015

"Fight on, fight on, fight on men! Remember the Rose Bowl, we'll win then..."
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
stewaat

OVR:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker_OS
Something tells me Southern Cal is going to destory UCLA and the timeouts won't even be a factor.
Whoa whoa whoa...let's not go crazy man.

Pete Carroll is the guy I wish I could've played for.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

That's a stupid rule. Cool move by Carrol though. Come to think of it, Carrol has done a few things that I thought were pretty cool. Having Snoop Dogg at practice. The Lendale White prank. The Will Ferrell prank. Sending the field goal unit out without the kicker to honor the deceased player.

All that said, this is my favorite Carrol moment. I don't like Bellotti either.

NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 12-02-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50
USC & UCLA to both wear home jersey Saturday

I didn't even know this was possible. USC must think they are going to kill UCLA to give up two timeouts.

Link
Quote:
LOS ANGELES-In a tip of the cap to the tradition of the UCLA-USC rivalry, Trojans head coach Pete Carroll has decided USC will wear its home cardinal jerseys Saturday at the Rose Bowl even though the move could cost the Trojans a time-out each half.
“It’s something we’ve been thinking about for a while,” Carroll said on his website Monday. “From talking to coaches at UCLA over the years and seeing the teams wear their home jerseys growing up, it’s something we’re going to start up again this weekend.
“This has always been a colorful match-up and we hope everyone enjoys this recognition of both the past and the present state of the rivalry.”
Carroll and UCLA head coach Rick Neuheisel had both favored teams wearing their home jerseys during discussions this season. But Neuheisel said earlier Monday that he thought the matter was dropped because of NCAA rules.
“It’s exciting,” Neuheisel said Monday night after learning of Carroll’s decision. “I think wearing the home jerseys is a great tradition.”
UCLA and USC both wore their home jerseys in the rivalry game until 1982. Under current NCAA rule 1-4-3-a, teams must wear contrasting colors with the visiting team wearing white. Teams violating the rule lose a time-out in each half.
Pac-10 officials have made unsuccessful attempts in recent years to get the NCAA football rules committee to grant a waiver allowing conference schools to wear their home jerseys in rivalry games. However, Rogers Redding, the current secretary-editor of the NCAA football rules committee, recently told Pac-10 officials he thought there was some ambiguity in the rule and would reconsider the Pac-10 request, Pac-10 associate commissioner Jim Muldoon said.
“He said he’d take a look at it,” Muldoon said.
Pac-10 officials hope to have a decision from Redding, the SEC director of officials, on Tuesday.
During Carroll and Neuheisel’s initial discussions Neuheisel said he planned on wasting a first-half time-out to give each team the same number of time-outs. But Neuheisel balked at the idea when he learned that the rule called for the loss of a time-out in each half.
“In the second half for me, it’s too costly to be giving a time-out away,” Neuheisel said.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-02-2008, 03:03 PM   #6
Mr. Brightside

Acid's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: USC & UCLA to both wear home jersey Saturday

Kevin Craft might as well wear a USC home jersey too.
But we all live in denial
Old 12-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

J0nnD0ugh's Arena

OVR: 27

I think its an unnecessary rule. But if you're going to have it, it doesn't need to be set aside on a whim.
-August 17, 1960
Thanks, dookies!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:00 PM   #8
Lurker

bjf1377's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0nnD0ugh
I think its an unnecessary rule. But if you're going to have it, it doesn't need to be set aside on a whim.
Well the NCAA has already set it aside once this year for the Miami (OH) @ Buffalo game:

Quote:
Both teams were given an NCAA exemption to wear their home colors for the Election Night game. Miami donned its home reds and Buffalo its traditional royal blues to reflect the 2004 election results of both school's home states.

Last edited by bjf1377; 12-02-2008 at 04:04 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »