Home

Do/Did you attend the school you root for?

This is a discussion on Do/Did you attend the school you root for? within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Do or did you attend the school you root for?
Yes 40 51.95%
No 37 48.05%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-28-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
Bearer of the curse

Pokes's Arena

OVR: 19
Do/Did you attend the school you root for?

Just wondering how many people out there attend or attended the school they cheer for and if not why do you cheer for that team? BTW Satellite and extension campuses don't count.

NCAA: Oklahoma State Cowboys - Michigan Wolverines
NFL: Houston Texans
NBA: Houston Rockets
MLB: Houston Astros
PSN: Kaiserwilson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23
Re: Do/Did you attend the school you root for?

Depends if UCLA admissions has their game together.

Too bad it's hard to get into. I don't know if I'd still root for them if I were rejected.

IMO, it's kinda lame to root for a college team if you didn't even attend said college.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 10-28-2009 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:55 AM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman
Depends if UCLA admissions has their game together.

Too bad it's hard to get into. I don't know if I'd still root for them if I were rejected.

IMO, it's kinda lame to root for a college team if you didn't even attend said college.
It's only lame if you refer to them as "we" if you didn't attend said college.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
#BurghProud

BurghFan's Arena

OVR: 34

I'm a graduate student at Pitt, though I've loved Pitt ever since I new who Pitt was. I did my undergraduate work at Allegheny College (D-III NCAC)
Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
Banned

2krules's Arena

OVR: 19

I went to UT Arlington.

However, I root for Texas A&M because:

I was born in Bryan/College Station
My father graduated from Texas A&M
My Mom went to Texas A&M
My brother-in-law graduated from Texas A&M
My nephew goes to Texas A&M
UTA has no NCAA football team
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2009, 03:04 AM   #6
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

Yes. Although I try not to, I sometimes say "we" when I refer to OU.

I figure if I lived in Norman for 5 years, could see the stadium when I opened my front door, and gave thousands of dollars to the university of an education, I can say we.

It is kind of funny when I see a Miami fan living in New York or a USC fan living in Texas and they say we. Obviously people can root for whoever but if you have never even stepped foot on the campus at least try to refrain from acting like the university is a part of you.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 10-28-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win

trobinson97's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson-for-Heisman

Honestly, that's just dumb. I've seen it pop up a few times on this board, some people advocating it even when they themselves were part of the group rooting for a team who's school they did not attend and it's such a silly point of view.

There are just so many things wrong with that line of thinking. So if you have kids, and they get into football and pick a favorite, you're gonna tell them how lame it is that they are rooting for a team who's school they didn't attend? What the hell? Did you not root for UCLA growing up or did you just wait til' you went there to root for them?

What if a kid grows up rooting for their home team, but decides to go to another college that they feel is better for them education wise? They're lame because they want to root for their home team? Maybe they just don't want to go to a specific school to have the right to root for that school's team. Maybe they didn't get accepted into the school and had to go elsewhere, should they drop that team as their favorite in that case? What if the school they went to didn't even have a football team?

Where does it end? So what about pro teams, is it lame for a person to root for a team that isn't a representative of their city/state? Since when was it lame to pick a favorite anything?

Also, as for the "we" thing. Why do some people make such a big deal about this? I'm guessing it's due to some talk show host bringing it up one slow news day and the flock ran with it. It's not a big deal.

SteamID - Depotboy

...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide

Last edited by trobinson97; 10-28-2009 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
Honestly, that's just dumb. I've seen it pop up a few times on this board, some people advocating it even when they themselves were part of the group rooting for a team who's school they did not attend and it's such a silly point of view.

There are just so many things wrong with that line of thinking. So if you have kids, and they get into football and pick a favorite, you're gonna tell them how lame it is that they are rooting for a team who's school they didn't attend? What the hell? Did you not root for UCLA growing up or did you just wait til' you went there to root for them?

What if a kid grows up rooting for their home team, but decides to go to another college that they feel is better for them education wise? They're lame because they want to root for their home team? Maybe they just don't want to go to a specific school to have the right to root for that school's team. Maybe they didn't get accepted into the school and had to go elsewhere, should they drop that team as their favorite in that case? What if the school they went to didn't even have a football team?

Where does it end? So what about pro teams, is it lame for a person to root for a team that isn't a representative of their city/state? Since when was it lame to pick a favorite anything?
Honestly I don't really care what teams people root for. It is a free country last time I checked. That being said, I do find it humorous when I see USC hats or New England Patriot hats here in Oklahoma. It's obvious people are only rooting for them because they are good. That's kind of weak if you ask me but to each their own.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

Last edited by BigDofBA; 10-28-2009 at 03:27 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »