Home

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #1193
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
No, ESPN doesn't choose the best players....that statement is beyond laughable. If they chose the best players, then guys like DeAnthony Thomas, Robert Woods, DGB, Shaq etc would be playing in the UA game. The AAA game has far better talent (and it's not really that close even), because they don't make their selections based on what region of the country a kid plays in....
40% of the players in the US Army All Star game were from the South (that was the only year I counted). In fact, there were so many southern players that Louisiana had to be counted as West in order to make room for the rest of the players in the Eastern United States. Considering that the UA All Star game is almost all Southeastern players, and the other main All Star game has more players from the Southeast than any other region I believe it is pretty obvious which region of the country produces the best athletes.

So basically, out of the small selection of Southeastern players that the US Army All American game gets to select from because of the strong competition they face from the UA game they still fill out almost half of their players from the Southeast.

So, yes, the games choose the best players...and these players are from the Southeast.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 PM   #1194
Hall Of Fame

Psyblast's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburntigersfan
40% of the players in the US Army All Star game were from the South (that was the only year I counted). In fact, there were so many southern players that Louisiana had to be counted as West in order to make room for the rest of the players in the Eastern United States. Considering that the UA All Star game is almost all Southeastern players, and the other main All Star game has more players from the Southeast than any other region I believe it is pretty obvious which region of the country produces the best athletes.

So basically, out of the small selection of Southeastern players that the US Army All American game gets to select from because of the strong competition they face from the UA game they still fill out almost half of their players from the Southeast.

So, yes, the games choose the best players...and these players are from the Southeast.

"Strong competition"....because ESPN has thrown all of its backing behind the game that's what, five years old?

The agenda that ESPN has and exhibits with the Under Armour Game is obvious. No surprise that fans of the SEC choose to ignore it.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #1195
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

OVR: 27

Are you including Texas and Oklahoma in the southeast?

Are you saying DGB is not one of the best players because he's from Missouri?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #1196
Release the Kirchen

auburntigersfan's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyblast
"Strong competition"....because ESPN has thrown all of its backing behind the game that's what, five years old?

The agenda that ESPN has and exhibits with the Under Armour Game is obvious. No surprise that fans of the SEC choose to ignore it.
ok, the "non-biased" game that has to choose from a smaller selection of players from the Southeast (there's no argument there) still has more players from the Southeast than any other region. There were over twice as many players in the 2011 Army game from Southeast states than states of Pac 12 schools. Hell, the numbers are so skewed they're forced to count Louisiana and Kentucky as West states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legendkiller5
Are you including Texas and Oklahoma in the southeast?

Are you saying DGB is not one of the best players because he's from Missouri?
No, there are great players everywhere. A prospect doesn't have to be from the South to be good, but I think that as a whole the Southeast does have much better prospects than any other region.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #1197
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburntigersfan
ok, the "non-biased" game that has to choose from a smaller selection of players from the Southeast (there's no argument there) still has more players from the Southeast than any other region. There were over twice as many players in the 2011 Army game from Southeast states than states of Pac 12 schools. Hell, the numbers are so skewed they're forced to count Louisiana and Kentucky as West states.

No, there are great players everywhere. A prospect doesn't have to be from the South to be good, but I think that as a whole the Southeast does have much better prospects than any other region.
I never said the number of players in the Southeast wasn't bigger. I said that selecting a Southeast CB/RB over a DeAnthony Thomas, or selecting a Southeast WR over a Robert Woods or DGB is NOT selecting the best players....
Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #1198
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

The southeast does have the best talent, but I don't think it hurts Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State too much. Where I feel it really shows is in the recruiting classes of the other Big Ten schools like my own Purdue. Purdue's coach Danny Hope has basically said that he feels he can get better talent by going down and getting the leftovers from Florida than actually trying to grab guys from Indiana. That says a lot.

In other news, Willie Henry made his commitment to Michigan official today. He's an athletic defensive tackle from Cleveland that supposedly has poor technique. I'm guessing the idea would be to red shirt him and try to get him to blow up by his senior season.

Also there are rumors that Michigan is trying to flip a player from another school at the last minute.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

Last edited by lonewolf371; 01-31-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #1199
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

Ohio State is a MAJOR player for Stefon Diggs right now...
Old 01-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #1200
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Rumors going around that both Kwon Alexander and Trae Elston could be headed to LSU, going to be interesting to see that play out and how Cordarelle Patteron ends. Hoping Miles/Mett were able to sell him hard on being able step in right away into what was Reuben Randle's role.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »