Home

2012 Recruiting Thread

This is a discussion on 2012 Recruiting Thread within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #1449
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalt
OLB Seth Jacobs to Oklahoma State. Best of luck to him.
How does CU's class look? What's the feeling around Boulder.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1450
Pro

sycodmn's Arena

OVR: 5

Feel really good about the UCLA class, especially considering the coaching change and how everything could have fallen apart. Just saw on Fox Sports West, and they're highly ranked, by Scout. I'm no'recruiting expert', but Mora really saved the class.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #1451
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycodmn
Feel really good about the UCLA class, especially considering the coaching change and how everything could have fallen apart. Just saw on Fox Sports West, and they're highly ranked, by Scout. I'm no'recruiting expert', but Mora really saved the class.
He was a good hire, and I think he will be a very good recruiter. I believe the college game will suit him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #1452
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Look st Boise or Wisconsin.

Notre Dame had like 5 top 5 classes in a row, but their overall talent never changed.
A lot of it is development, too. Wisconsin's trademark is offensive linemen, but they rarely get the top guys from around the country. However, once those guys come in they blow up. O-linemen are the hardest to predict because they usually have a lot of growing to do even after they get to college.

But there are a number of guys the recruiting services hit. I know Phil Steele has some sort of way that he averages all the rankings and guys that come out highly across the board make it to the NFL with a very high frequency. But yeah, I used to think development didn't matter much, but I've really changed my opinion there.

Of course, I'm not going to say that recruiting doesn't matter. Notre Dame has some good players, particularly on the O-line, but their abysmal quarterback play and turnovers from last season destroyed them.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #1453
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
A lot of it is development, too. Wisconsin's trademark is offensive linemen, but they rarely get the top guys from around the country. However, once those guys come in they blow up. O-linemen are the hardest to predict because they usually have a lot of growing to do even after they get to college.

But there are a number of guys the recruiting services hit. I know Phil Steele has some sort of way that he averages all the rankings and guys that come out highly across the board make it to the NFL with a very high frequency. But yeah, I used to think development didn't matter much, but I've really changed my opinion there.

Of course, I'm not going to say that recruiting doesn't matter. Notre Dame has some good players, particularly on the O-line, but their abysmal quarterback play and turnovers from last season destroyed them.
Brian Kelly being an awful game manager didnt help either. Notre Dame has really lacked talent despite their recruit rankings.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #1454
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
How does CU's class look? What's the feeling around Boulder.
Pretty good for a team that was 3-10. Signed 28 guys and I believe 9 were on defensive line. We had a lot of guys from state of Colorado go else where, which is a negative. Completely whiffed on the OL, a position of need. Also couldn't find a TE that could start from day 1, being second place to Taylor McNamara(OU commit) and Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick (USC commit) sucked as well.

There's some guys I like that I felt underrated by the scouting services, but that could also be the homer in me. Embree is putting a lot of emphasis recruiting in Cali, Texas, Colorado, and the D.C area.

I hope next year, we win a lot of more battles with other Pac-12 schools for some recruits. I believe Embree can do that.

Last edited by Kobalt; 02-01-2012 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Jaden, Jalen whatever
Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #1455
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
Matt Kalil was ranked 73rd overall in the 2008 ESPNU 150....he's probably going to be the second pick in the draft....

Tyron Smith was 127 in the same class ....
I don't think it's fair to criticize recruiting services in that way. There is no way to say exactly how an athlete will progress, develop, mature over the 3-5 years he's in college. You're ripping a service for rating a guy as the 73rd overall prospect in the country when he was 17 or 18, and now he's a possible NFL Top 10 pick so that's a failure on their part? It's not like they had him rated as a 2*.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #1456
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalt
Pretty good for a team that was 3-10. Signed 28 guys and I believe 9 were on defensive line. We had a lot of guys from state of Colorado go else where, which is a negative. Completely whiffed on the OL, a position of need. Also couldn't find a TE that could start from day 1, being second place to Taylor McNamara(OU commit) and Jaden Cope-Fitzpatrick (USC commit) sucked as well.

There's some guys I like that I felt underrated by the scouting services, but that could also be the homer in me. Embree is putting a lot of emphasis recruiting in Cali, Texas, Colorado, and the D.C area.

I hope next year, we win a lot of more battles with other Pac-12 schools for some recruits. I believe Embree can do that.
When CU's been really good, it's been when they had a lot of success in California. I hope they get things turned in the right direction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »