Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #1473
Mo
SSN

Mo's Arena

OVR: 39
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
Wow I applaud Auburn for that move, 20 4 year scholarships? That's a nice move, see if they keep their word. But yep king oversign is at it again.
It sounds like Urban Meyer and OSU did as well.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...uits_secu.html
Old 02-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #1474
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371
Why hate on the NCAA? I'm sure 99% of the coaches in the NCAA know the rule quite well. Kiffin is dumb for sending the texts. And as far as NCAA rules go this is actually one of the more sane ones.
Why hate on Kiffin, I know it's the popular thing to do but damn. No it's not a sane rule, it's an absolutely asinine rule. Especially considering the fact that it was an off the record text sent to a reporter who should have shown a little professionalism in her reporting. She could have easily said that he sent me a text about a player that is a must get, and from that text I can infer that he was talking about Nelson Agholor.....

Oh and something that might need to be considered before anyone gets up in arms with USC is NA could have very well faxed his LOI in as early as 8 a.m. Eastern time and just waited to publically announce it at noon. So Lane may very well have already known they had Nelson....I highly doubt a coach would call a kid they weren't sure if they were getting a "must get" that would make his recruiting efforts look like a failure if they didn't get him.....SMH at people casting stones before they even think about the situation.....

Last edited by spyder_DG; 02-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #1475
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni
In case you missed Saban's warm and fuzzy treatment of long time commits Justin Taylor and Darius Philon....

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/...shows-up-Saban

Can't wait to hear the spin on this one by UA fans.
You linked an article by Josh Moon? Didn't have to read one sentence to know what kind of angle this one would have. The offers were not pulled, they were offered grey shirts. They still had a full ride opportunity to Alabama. I think Saban could have handled it better but he didn't just yank offers on signing day as this clown would want you to believe. We don't know the full specifics on when the grey shirt options were first mentioned to either player. I wanted both JT and DP, they are going to be great college players IMO.

Last edited by Bamafan3723; 02-02-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #1476
THE Standard in CFB

Bamafan3723's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Wow I applaud Auburn for that move, 20 4 year scholarships? That's a nice move, see if they keep their word. But yep king oversign is at it again.
Apparently Chiznik doesn't even know he offered multi-year schollies:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...ootball_r.html
Quote:
"Auburn coach Gene Chizik initially indicated he offered all one-year renewable scholarships this year. An athletics department spokesman later clarified that Auburn provided five-year scholarships".
Old 02-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #1477
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
It sounds like Urban Meyer and OSU did as well.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.s...uits_secu.html
I think almost every school in the Big Ten is doing this. A lot of schools are doing it; the multi-year scholarship thing is clearly aimed at schools that over-sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
Why hate on Kiffin, I know it's the popular thing to do but damn. No it's not a sane rule, it's an absolutely asinine rule. Especially considering the fact that it was an off the record text sent to a reporter who should have shown a little professionalism in her reporting. She could have easily said that he sent me a text about a player that is a must get, and from that text I can infer that he was talking about Nelson Agholor.....
Compared to the myriad of NCAA rules on countable hours and things like serving a bagel with cream cheese can be a violation but a bagel with butter isn't (not kidding), I think this rule is one of the more sensible ones. And coaches generally know the rulebook quite well. If they're paranoid enough to do stuff like close practices to the media and ban Twitter, they should not send texts that could potentially be a violation.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #1478
Banned

spyder_DG's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf371

Compared to the myriad of NCAA rules on countable hours and things like serving a bagel with cream cheese can be a violation but a bagel with butter isn't (not kidding), I think this rule is one of the more sensible ones. And coaches generally know the rulebook quite well. If they're paranoid enough to do stuff like close practices to the media and ban Twitter, they should not send texts that could potentially be a violation.
The only reason USC practices are closed, is because it's part of the NCAA sanctions buddy. And no it's not sensible at all. It's asinine that you're not allowed to say a kids name that you're recruiting. It's yet another pathetic display of abuse of power by one of the most corrupt organizations in the country. And Kiffin never has banned twitter, I follow a TON of the players on my account....
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #1479
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Muschamp and Florida did the same thing.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #1480
MVP

lonewolf371's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_DG
The only reason USC practices are closed, is because it's part of the NCAA sanctions buddy. And no it's not sensible at all. It's asinine that you're not allowed to say a kids name that you're recruiting. It's yet another pathetic display of abuse of power by one of the most corrupt organizations in the country. And Kiffin never has banned twitter, I follow a TON of the players on my account....
I wasn't even talking about USC; I was talking about the coaching profession in general and saying that Kiffin seems to be a clueless outlier if he did in fact send the text before the player committed.
NHL: Detroit Red Wings (26-20-12)
NCAA: Purdue Boilermakers (FB: 1-11, BB: 15-12), Michigan Wolverines (FB: 7-6, BB: 19-7, H: 15-10-3)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »