Home
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #1513
Moderator
 
Marino's Arena
 
OVR: 55
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wake County, NC
Posts: 18,126
Blog Entries: 10
Yeah, so, we are going to end the hijacking of another thread by Alabama and Auburn fans, so lets get it back on topic.

Sent from Hayden Panettiere's #1 fan
Marino is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #1514
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win
 
trobinson97's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lowcountry
Posts: 16,331
Blog Entries: 5
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I see your point, but this is pretty borderline sketchy. It's another example of many, (not just at Alabama) of how college football has gotten away from what it truly should be about.

If I want cut throat tactics where you can cut players at any time, and it's all about business I can watch the NFL. I realize this is big money for the schools, but there's a line and I think it's being crossed far to often.
I agree, but no one was "cut" here. They gave verbals, but they were not yet a part of the team. They were asked to delay their enrollment to the school for a few months, not told that they didn't have a place there anymore. The timing (especially in Philon's case) was sketchy as you say though. That said, no one here knows when he was informed of the possibility of a gray-shirt, we only know when we were informed about it.

They both would have been pretty much guaranteed to redshirt this year anyway. All delaying their enrollment until January would have done is save them a year of eligibility.
__________________
PS: You guys are great.

SteamID - Depotboy



...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide




trobinson97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #1515
MVP
 
Cutter15's Arena
 
OVR: 8
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Mississippi
The thing that is bugging the crap out of me is that everyone outside the Alabama fan base feels sorry for a kid who is getting a free ride to a 4 year university because he plays a sport. How many doctors, lawyers or police officers got their education for free?


Sent from the Batphone using Tapatalk
__________________
Alabama Crimson Tide
New Orleans Saints
Kyle Busch #18
Atlanta Braves
Southern Miss Golden Eagles

Twitter
Cutter15 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-02-2012, 05:38 PM   #1516
Closer
 
bkrich83's Arena
 
OVR: 64
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 70,128
Blog Entries: 124
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
I agree, but no one was "cut" here. They gave verbals, but they were not yet a part of the team. They were asked to delay their enrollment to the school for a few months, not told that they didn't have a place there anymore. The timing (especially in Philon's case) was sketchy as you say though. That said, no one here knows when he was informed of the possibility of a gray-shirt, we only know when we were informed about it.

They both would have been pretty much guaranteed to redshirt this year anyway. All delaying their enrollment until January would have done is save them a year of eligibility.
In todays world of year to year schollies, you can pretty much be cut. The game has changed and become too much of a business imo. This is just another example of it. I know people think asking a kid to delay his entrance is no big deal, but it kinda is.

Like I said it's not just an Alabama problem, but the spin put on by another Bama fan here to downplay as if Nick did him a favor is a little over the top.

Last edited by bkrich83; 02-02-2012 at 05:41 PM.
bkrich83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #1517
Closer
 
bkrich83's Arena
 
OVR: 64
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 70,128
Blog Entries: 124
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter15
The thing that is bugging the crap out of me is that everyone outside the Alabama fan base feels sorry for a kid who is getting a free ride to a 4 year university because he plays a sport. How many doctors, lawyers or police officers got their education for free?


Sent from the Batphone using Tapatalk
That's really not relevant, and plenty of high achievers like that get significant tuition assistance. Let's not make it sound like schools are doing these kids a favor by giving them a free ride out of having that kids best interest at heart. You get a free education, because you can make the school more money that it costs them to send you there.
bkrich83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #1518
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win
 
trobinson97's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lowcountry
Posts: 16,331
Blog Entries: 5
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter15
The thing that is bugging the crap out of me is that everyone outside the Alabama fan base feels sorry for a kid who is getting a free ride to a 4 year university because he plays a sport. How many doctors, lawyers or police officers got their education for free?


Sent from the Batphone using Tapatalk

No that's not it. They feel sorry for him because the way it's presented in the media is as if Saban promised that he could go to Bama but on national signing day he said "Sorry, we don't want you here anymore, we have better players", which couldn't be farther from the truth.
__________________
PS: You guys are great.

SteamID - Depotboy



...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide




trobinson97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #1519
Closer
 
bkrich83's Arena
 
OVR: 64
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 70,128
Blog Entries: 124
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobinson97
No that's not it. They feel sorry for him because the way it's presented in the media is as if Saban promised that he could go to Bama but on national signing day he said "Sorry, we don't want you here anymore, we have better players", which couldn't be farther from the truth.
It kinda is the truth in a way though. If the timing played out like it was reported, there's an ethics line that it does cross imo. Happens all over the place I know, so it is what it is..
bkrich83 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM   #1520
Lie,cheat,steal,kill: Win
 
trobinson97's Arena
 
OVR: 44
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lowcountry
Posts: 16,331
Blog Entries: 5
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
In todays world of year to year schollies, you can pretty much be cut. The game has changed and become too much of a business imo. This is just another example of it.

Like I said it's not just an Alabama problem, but the spin put on by another Bama fan here to downplay as if Nick did him a favor is a little over the top.
Oh I definitely agree with the fact that kids can be cut. I'm not so naive a homer to not understand that medical schollies and team rules violations aren't the modern day way of saying "He was cut." I'm saying that that isn't the case here with Darius Philon and Justin Taylor. They weren't cut. They were asked to enroll in January because of the numbers crunch and with their injuries, they were the ones most likely to be offered that option.

Saban didn't do him a favor by any stretch, but he didn't turn the guy away when he showed up with his bags. He told him the deal with the numbers and offered him another option if he was willing to take it.
__________________
PS: You guys are great.

SteamID - Depotboy



...2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2020....
What a run
Roll Tide




trobinson97 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.

Top -