Home

Old 12-14-2011, 05:13 PM   #761
We Spent Some Money!

ZM Punk's Arena

OVR: 32
Will see what happens but I just don't see anything in the guys track record that makes me think that Dunn made the right choice in football terms. Urban likes small running backs and doesn't have much of a track record in utilizing big backs. Which was more likely than not the reason he didn't land those guys you mentioned.

Adolphus Washington-Ohio State Freshman
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM   #762
The Batman

soltrain's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: 2012 Recruiting Thread

RT @elevenwarriors: B Dunn: "[Meyer] told me I didnít have to worry about sanctions. Nothing worse is going to happen." 11w.rs/uph3qt

You guys think this is true?
Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM   #763
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain
RT @elevenwarriors: B Dunn: "[Meyer] told me I didnít have to worry about sanctions. Nothing worse is going to happen." 11w.rs/uph3qt

You guys think this is true?
It goes with what most in the know are saying (I.E. Nevada, Bill Greene).
Old 12-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #764
The Batman

soltrain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsbuck
It goes with what most in the know are saying (I.E. Nevada, Bill Greene).
Yeah, but this is the guy who also does this...

"But what I didn't want to have happen, and I made this clear to Jeremy [Foley], if I am able to go coach, I want to coach at one place, the University of Florida. It would be a travesty, it would be ridiculous to all of a sudden come back and get the feeling back, get the health back, feel good again and then all of a sudden go throw some other colors on my shirt and go coach. I don't want to do that. I have too much love for this University and these players and for what we've built."
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #765
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by soltrain
Yeah, but this is the guy who also does this...

"But what I didn't want to have happen, and I made this clear to Jeremy [Foley], if I am able to go coach, I want to coach at one place, the University of Florida. It would be a travesty, it would be ridiculous to all of a sudden come back and get the feeling back, get the health back, feel good again and then all of a sudden go throw some other colors on my shirt and go coach. I don't want to do that. I have too much love for this University and these players and for what we've built."
Considering what he's saying goes along with what other people are saying in regards to the impending NCAA decision, I don't think that's relevant at all.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #766
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsbuck
Fair point on the 1,000 yard rusher, but to be fair he was never able to land a power back at Florida (Outside of Mack Brown who came in after his first retirement). He went after guys like Stafon Johnson, Charles Scott, Ben Tate, Brandon Minor, Javarris James, Trent Richardson, but just wasn't able to land one until Brown, and obviously isn't around to use him.

Tebow was pretty much his power back when he was there, besides DeShawyn Wynn of course.
2006: Mon Williams - 6'2 200 ****
2007: Bo Williams - 6'1 200 ****
2008: Emmanuel Moody - 6'1 210 ****
2009: Mike Gillislee - 6'1 205 ****

Your example, Mack Brown, is actually the smallest of the bunch. He brought in power backs, he just didn't use them.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #767
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
2006: Mon Williams - 6'2 200 ****
2007: Bo Williams - 6'1 200 ****
2008: Emmanuel Moody - 6'1 210 ****
2009: Mike Gillislee - 6'1 205 ****

Your example, Mack Brown, is actually the smallest of the bunch. He brought in power backs, he just didn't use them.
1/2 of those guys never really saw the field in the first place (Mon transferred out after his ACL tear saw him buried on the depth chart, Bo transferred out after redshirting), while Moody admitted himself that he had trouble picking up the system and wasn't that great of a runner out of shotgun. Gillislee looked promising but even with a brand new coaching staff and new system was still stuck behind Demps and Rainey.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #768
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Moody wasn't even really a power back, but they tried to utilize him in that role, and I don't think it fit his style at all. A good point Sportsbuck brings up, Demps and Rainey have been the backs in the system since like 08, and combine that with Tebow and Percy harvin, and your sample size for Florida and power backs all but disappears.

If there's a concern, it's not because he's a power back, but how Meyer spreads the ball around on the ground so much. He gets so many guys involved on the ground that there isn't quite a centerpiece to it all like a Pro Style offense, but even in a pro style that's not guaranteed. Teams now rotate backs a lot, so it's rare to see a true workhorse anymore. So if by underutilized, you mean not carrying the ball 25-30 times a game, then I'd assume that's probably correct.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-

Last edited by dan_457; 12-14-2011 at 10:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »