Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2022, 01:10 AM   #8713

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: College Football Off Topic

Just wait until the real bomb drops: Cal and Stanford join the LIV tour. Then we're all screwed lol.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:35 PM   #8714
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
As a fan of a P5 school it’s getting harder and harder to like college football, and college sports in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Same boat here. One of the selling points of the NCAA football video games (a feature that EA always hyped) was the tradition of college football. It's one of the reasons that I always enjoyed cfb over the nfl in general. Oh well. I've already proven to myself that I can write off baseball. The way things are going cfb might not be far behind.
Old 07-02-2022, 03:52 PM   #8715
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Anytime something major happens in college sports its the death blow, but it never actually is. Missouri and aTm going SEC didn't kill the sport. Nebraska going Big Ten didn't kill the sport. NIL hasn't killed the sport. This round of movement won't kill the sport either.

For every fan that is lost because the game isn't the same as it was when they were kids, there will be plenty of new fans taking their place and this will be what college football is like while they're kids.

College football continues to grow and become more popular each year. Even with the current setup with the playoffs making it so boring, the sport continues to shine. While it will suck for some fanbases this go around, the sport won't die because we lose the UTSA vs UTEP showdown.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2022, 04:30 PM   #8716
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Anytime something major happens in college sports its the death blow, but it never actually is. Missouri and aTm going SEC didn't kill the sport. Nebraska going Big Ten didn't kill the sport. NIL hasn't killed the sport. This round of movement won't kill the sport either.

For every fan that is lost because the game isn't the same as it was when they were kids, there will be plenty of new fans taking their place and this will be what college football is like while they're kids.

College football continues to grow and become more popular each year. Even with the current setup with the playoffs making it so boring, the sport continues to shine. While it will suck for some fanbases this go around, the sport won't die because we lose the UTSA vs UTEP showdown.
I dunno, man, I don’t see the future of college football as so obviously rosy.

Total in-person attendance at college football games has shrunk for like seven consecutive years, yet ticket prices keep rising. All the 2022 College Football Playoff games drew some of the lowest TV ratings in the history of the thing (albeit still millions of people apiece). There are more and more college football games on television now, yes, but that’s at least in part because live sports is the only sure bet in cable television anymore. Literally every major college football program has to grant access of rights to ESPN, allowing one media company to basically play kingmaker if they wanted to (and as they have with the SEC to the best of their ability). The unjustifiable politics of the sport making billions of dollars a year while the workers who create the product each conference sells aren’t even offered a seat at the table to negotiate their fair share of the profits is going to increasingly continue to rub a certain flavor of sports fan the wrong way as the television contracts keep ballooning. Those outdated politics face very real ongoing legal challenges in courts, and even the most conservative of current Supreme Court justices have dismissed the NCAA’s amateurism model as hogwash.

To be clear, I don’t think college football is doomed - football is religion in America, and probably will be through the rest of our lifetimes. It’s not going away. That said, the long-standing lack of parity across the sport, the continued consolidation of financially successful programs in the name of increased profits at the expense of tradition, the questionable politics and ethics, and the increasingly high financial barrier between the sport and the average American - contrasted against the exponential increase in entertainment options over time - is going to hurt college football at some point. Arguably it has already. Probably not in the wallet, I concede, especially in the short term. But the sport is losing its soul - to the extent that it had any - for sure.

Last edited by CM Hooe; 07-02-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 06:29 PM   #8717
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton9
The North Carolina General Assembly has allocated $15 million to be given to the ACC to lure the conference to move it's headquarters to Charlotte.

The conference headquarters and property are currently owned by the ACC and located in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The city of Greensboro has made the suggestion that they would rename the Greensboro Coliseum the ACC Coliseum if the headquarters remain there.
Great use of my tax dollars.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:27 AM   #8718
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

The upcoming change is probably the start of the death blow. There will most likely be 2 conferences of 20 or 24 teams. With all the pay and union stuff happening, it's just going to change. You can still have your team, probably just sponsored by or owned, connected with the school but a lot of what made you connected will be gone.

All those things you mentioned haven't killed it but they have hurt the sport. It's a death by a thousand cuts.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk
Old 07-03-2022, 01:37 AM   #8719
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I dunno, man, I don’t see the future of college football as so obviously rosy.

Total in-person attendance at college football games has shrunk for like seven consecutive years, yet ticket prices keep rising. All the 2022 College Football Playoff games drew some of the lowest TV ratings in the history of the thing (albeit still millions of people apiece). There are more and more college football games on television now, yes, but that’s at least in part because live sports is the only sure bet in cable television anymore. Literally every major college football program has to grant access of rights to ESPN, allowing one media company to basically play kingmaker if they wanted to (and as they have with the SEC to the best of their ability). The unjustifiable politics of the sport making billions of dollars a year while the workers who create the product each conference sells aren’t even offered a seat at the table to negotiate their fair share of the profits is going to increasingly continue to rub a certain flavor of sports fan the wrong way as the television contracts keep ballooning. Those outdated politics face very real ongoing legal challenges in courts, and even the most conservative of current Supreme Court justices have dismissed the NCAA’s amateurism model as hogwash.

To be clear, I don’t think college football is doomed - football is religion in America, and probably will be through the rest of our lifetimes. It’s not going away. That said, the long-standing lack of parity across the sport, the continued consolidation of financially successful programs in the name of increased profits at the expense of tradition, the questionable politics and ethics, and the increasingly high financial barrier between the sport and the average American - contrasted against the exponential increase in entertainment options over time - is going to hurt college football at some point. Arguably it has already. Probably not in the wallet, I concede, especially in the short term. But the sport is losing its soul - to the extent that it had any - for sure.
If anything, with NIL we've seem more parity in recruiting so far than we had seen since the playoffs became a reality. That should in turn lead to more parity on the field.

For the past near decade three teams have hogged all of the talent. Bama and Ohio State have been on a different level than the rest of the country and Georgia was nearby and recently joined them. The rest of the country got leftovers.

In the short time we've had NIL we're seeing schools like aTm come out and excel, USC, Texas, and Miami are all heading towards potential top 5 classes. We're seeing more schools be in the running for legit blue chippers than we've seen in some time.

We will lose tradition, some schools will be left out, but the sport will continue to make bank, get millions of eyes on it, and a new era will be upon us and when the next realignment happens, today's kids and teenagers will say the sport is heading the wrong way and they remember when Texas was an SEC team where they belong.

― Plato
Old 07-03-2022, 05:16 AM   #8720
Rookie

DoctorGoodjob's Arena

OVR: 0

Even though I hate the direction it's going I think College Football will be fine. There is going to be an even bigger disparity between the Super Conferences and the rest but inside those Super Conferences I think it will be competitive and have big matchups every week. One of the things to look forward to in the Big Ten (if they add more Pac-12 teams) is that you will get more (formerly) OOC games between the old Pac-12 teams and the Big Ten.

We go into every season with only a handful of teams having a realistic shot to make the playoffs, so making their conferences more difficult is a positive to me. It just sucks that they're killing some programs and tradition in the process.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »