Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
What Was the Best Sports Gaming Year Ever? (Roundtable)
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football Interview
Operation Sports Is Seeking Multiple New Freelance Writers!

Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #6793

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: College Football Off Topic

Why would an automatic CCG winner abolish the current division format?
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 PM   #6794
MVP

rkwittem's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Going to that method would have made UGA-Bama practically pointless. It was such an entertaining game because you knew it was an elimination game, practically a playoff game already. OSU-Michigan would have not mattered at all in the end when it was already near playoff game status as an elimination game for Michigan and a chance for OSU to potentially get back in the race.

I really don't understand why you'd want expansion when there is no real controversy right now outside of the laughable UCF situation.
Are we 100% sure Alabama wouldn't have made the playoffs even if they lost to Georgia? Feels like a pretty safe bet that they would have made it regardless. Can't see Ohio State jumping Alabama in this scenario with how the committee harped on struggles vs Nebraska/Minnesota/Maryland being factors whereas Alabama most breezed through their schedule.

It's seemed like Alabama has a different set of rules than everyone else. They need 2 losses before they get DQ'd, unlike everyone else who gets 1.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #6795
GO BLUE

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Why would an automatic CCG winner abolish the current division format?
In some conferences the divisions are not equal strength. The B1G East vs B1G West comes to mind immediately. I'm thinking that if you have a very mediocre team come out of a weaker division to face a very strong team out of the powerful division, then that 1 game takes on too much importance if it decides an auto-bid. If the underdog wins, they still could have 3, 4, or 5 losses and I couldn't really get behind a team like that "earning" an auto-bid. Admittedly, the weaker team probably loses in this game 9 times out of 10, but the possibility of one sneaking in would be bad.

Without divisions, then there'd be less likelihood of unevenly matched teams playing a single game to decide a lot.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:08 AM   #6796

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
In some conferences the divisions are not equal strength. The B1G East vs B1G West comes to mind immediately. I'm thinking that if you have a very mediocre team come out of a weaker division to face a very strong team out of the powerful division, then that 1 game takes on too much importance if it decides an auto-bid. If the underdog wins, they still could have 3, 4, or 5 losses and I couldn't really get behind a team like that "earning" an auto-bid. Admittedly, the weaker team probably loses in this game 9 times out of 10, but the possibility of one sneaking in would be bad.

Without divisions, then there'd be less likelihood of unevenly matched teams playing a single game to decide a lot.
I don't necessarily disagree with you but if we moved on from the current division format there is no way to have any sort of a objective way to judge every team against each other as there would be too many to play each other every year.

We would still be playing in the same subjective world that we are playing in today.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #6797
GO BLUE

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

To be clear, I am just saying that if conference champions were provided with 5 auto-bids in an 8-team CFP format, then I'm not sure the current way of deciding conference champions would be adequate. I'd prefer not giving auto-bids to conference champions in the first place thus rendering the point about divisions vs no divisions to be moot. I don't mind retaining the divisions as long as conference championship games only decide "conference champions" and don't become "playoff entry games."
Old 12-07-2018, 12:35 AM   #6798

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwittem
Are we 100% sure Alabama wouldn't have made the playoffs even if they lost to Georgia? Feels like a pretty safe bet that they would have made it regardless. Can't see Ohio State jumping Alabama in this scenario with how the committee harped on struggles vs Nebraska/Minnesota/Maryland being factors whereas Alabama most breezed through their schedule.

It's seemed like Alabama has a different set of rules than everyone else. They need 2 losses before they get DQ'd, unlike everyone else who gets 1.
If.Alabama would have lost to Georgia they would have still gotten in, but it's not a different set of rules. It's because they would have been the best 1 loss team with the best resume and "best loss".

I mean, I'm not sure if people realize but they had an historic regular season. They were the 2nd team ever to beat all of the regular season opponents by 20 or more points. The first time that happened was in 1888. They weren't going to get "out resumed" by any of the other one loss teams.

Now, if they would have lost to LSU or Auburn or who ever in the regular season, then lost to Georgia too, I wouldn't have a problem with them being left out of a 4 team playoff. If the playoff expands to 8 teams, then they would probably be in as an at-large bid so maybe expansion isn't so bad

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 12-07-2018, 12:47 AM   #6799
All Star

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

If it ever expands past four, I want auto-bids. For me, the whole point of expansion is to remove the subjectivity.

If a committee is going to choose teams, then I'd prefer just keeping the current four-team format.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:50 AM   #6800

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
To be clear, I am just saying that if conference champions were provided with 5 auto-bids in an 8-team CFP format, then I'm not sure the current way of deciding conference champions would be adequate. I'd prefer not giving auto-bids to conference champions in the first place thus rendering the point about divisions vs no divisions to be moot. I don't mind retaining the divisions as long as conference championship games only decide "conference champions" and don't become "playoff entry games."
It's a large can of worms and it's late so I'll make this a short as I can.

I agree with you. Pitt vs. Clemson? Ohio State vs. Northwestern? (I'm sure I'm missing some).

I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of a system where there is a guaranteed way to get in.

If it's a crappy Pitt team that has a fluke win against Clemson, so be it. Clemson could still make it as a wild card team.

I'm okay with the many that disagree with the thought, I would just like to see a clear path to the playoffs with a backdoor for those teams that miss out on that path.

This year, in all honesty, I think everyone would have probably been okay with just Alabama/Clemson.

But like I said before, we've already moved to a playoff system. May as well go all in at this point.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »