Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-16-2019, 06:57 PM   #7089
MVP

fpac's Arena

OVR: 15
College Football Off Topic

Looks like OU/Riley came to their senses and allowed Austin Kendall to transfer to WVU and be immediately eligible.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:16 PM   #7090
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpac
Looks like OU/Riley came to their senses and allowed Austin Kendall to transfer to WVU and be immediately eligible.
Good, because it wasn't going to be a good look for them. Our college athletics culture has evolved to the point where anything a school does to limit "student-athletes" is looked upon as villainy.

I just thought it was petty given (1) he actually graduated from there already (2) Hurts got to transfer in with no delay (granted, non-conference). And whether Kendall sits out a year or not at WVU, he'd still be playing against the Sooners eventually.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:20 PM   #7091
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Gonna need a QB Carousel thread in the future.
It's more active than professional leagues' free agency these days.

WVU hasn't had a "homegrown" QB starter since Geno Smith (aside from Chugonov when Will Grier got hurt in 2016), which is kind of ridiculous. And that trend looks to continue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2019, 10:08 AM   #7092
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
It's more active than professional leagues' free agency these days.

WVU hasn't had a "homegrown" QB starter since Geno Smith (aside from Chugonov when Will Grier got hurt in 2016), which is kind of ridiculous. And that trend looks to continue.
Its out of control.
According to about 50 different tweets I read over the last few days...
The coaches and universities hate it and they are going to look into changing the transfer rules soon.
I mean that is correct, there are more college players changing teams than NFL players it seems like,
Old 01-17-2019, 10:56 AM   #7093
All Star

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Nah. They're not an employee. Not in any sense are they an employee. NCAA wouldn't even agree with you on that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
You're going to have to explain that one. In what way is someone hired by an institution, paid by that institutions budget"not in any sense" an employee? Unless you're just pointing out some technicality on coaches technically employed by the state or whatever they are classified as by the IRS. Effectively they are employees of the school the coach at.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by KSUowls; 01-17-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #7094
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

We also have 130 FBS team + plus all the Juco/DII transfers so it is going to have more transfers than not. I'm fine with guys being allowed to transfer if their head coach leaves, is fired, or retires, or if the school is suddenly hit with NCAA sanctions. Graduate transfers I have zero issue with as well. They got their degrees, they've earned the right to be able to move. It's the others that I'm still undecided on. We say they are students first, athletes second. If that is the case then they should be allowed to transfer whenever they want.

I don't really like the idea of telling these kids what they can and cannot do. If someone really wants out it really serves no benefit to keep them on a team they want to be no part of. However, I am not a fan of college football basically getting a free agency period as well even though it seems that Miami is mopping up with this portal.

Also, Tate Martell has hired a lawyer and already packed up and headed down to Miami because he expects to be eligible immediately. A lot of Ohio State people say he is graduating in May so he'll be eligible to play this year, the waiver seems to be for him to be allowed to be at Miami this semester to finish up and be apart of spring camp. The argument his lawyer is using is the sudden retirement of Meyer + the scandal that hit.

With how the NCAA has trended with granting people immediate eligibility I won't be surprised to see him win. If he's confident enough to already head to Miami this week then they must either have some inside info they'll likely win or just be real positive about it all. I'd say if the NCAA grants Fields his waiver then it is given they'll grant Martell's as well.

― Plato
Old 01-17-2019, 05:12 PM   #7095
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

I get the whole let's actually treat student-athletes like people thing that's been going on lately. But, I think that losing the competition to be starter (or not even participating in one because some hotshot is transferring in and you don't want to compete) is probably not a good enough reason to transfer. At least not with immediate eligibility.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #7096
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

Tate’s not on track to graduate this spring anymore, FWIW. His plan was always to graduate this early but it doesn’t look like it all lined up for him.

Wish him the best. Talented kid but always some type of drama going on with him (always threatening to transfer). Maybe a change of scenery will be best for him.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »