Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #7129
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
What was the waiver for again?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
A baseball player said a racist comment toward him and he didn't feel comfortable playing baseball at UGA. I think I remembered that correctly

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 02-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #7130
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:

As best I can tell it was someone associated with UGA athletics (a former baseball player) called him a bad/racist word.

I don't get it. I hope there's more to his case than that, because to me that's nowhere near waiver-worthy. Oh well, congrats to Ohio State and to Fields for working the system to their advantage.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #7131
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
A baseball player said a racist comment toward him and he didn't feel comfortable playing baseball at UGA. I think I remembered that correctly

Sent from my SM-G920V using Operation Sports mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
As best I can tell it was someone associated with UGA athletics (a former baseball player) called him a bad/racist word.

I don't get it. I hope there's more to his case than that, because to me that's nowhere near waiver-worthy. Oh well, congrats to Ohio State and to Fields for working the system to their advantage.
Terrible precedent set now.

Is he playing baseball this season or ever? No, then the waiver makes no sense. It's so bad at UGA that his sister signed there to play softball.

NCAA basically has gotten rid of the transfer rule now. They have opened the door to players leaving and can probably get away with just having their feelings hurt now.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2019, 10:53 PM   #7132
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_rushing
Terrible precedent set now.

Is he playing baseball this season or ever? No, then the waiver makes no sense. It's so bad at UGA that his sister signed there to play softball.

NCAA basically has gotten rid of the transfer rule now. They have opened the door to players leaving and can probably get away with just having their feelings hurt now.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I'm fine if the NCAA wants to do open transfers; I'm not going to be upset with a college athlete wanting to switch schools to try to further a professional career. Just get rid of the waiver process if it's going to be like this.

Watch me play video games
Old 02-09-2019, 12:56 AM   #7133
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I'm fine if the NCAA wants to do open transfers; I'm not going to be upset with a college athlete wanting to switch schools to try to further a professional career. Just get rid of the waiver process if it's going to be like this.
I can't help but think back to the Shea Patterson situation last year and how they had to go through revisions with the NCAA and nobody really knew how things would go. Patterson was trying to leave a pretty toxic situation with liar/hypocrite extraordinaire Hugh Freeze and possible school sanctions forthcoming.

Fast forward one year and Justin Fields absolutely sails through the process with, to my mind, a much flimsier circumstance than Patterson. Even those who might somehow believe that Fields just now realized there could be mean racists in the state of Georgia, you'd have to be pretty daft to think Fields was transferring for any reason other than a clearer path to playing time. Unless there's some part to his case that we don't really know about, I am definitely disappointed (although to be honest not really surprised) at the uneven NCAA process.

Like Jr said, if you want to let college athletes be free agents, then let's just drop the pretense of some sort of legit circumstance that must be triggered for this to happen.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:24 AM   #7134
All Star

OVR: 8

Yeah pretty much with this precedent there shouldn't be any kind of restrictions on college athletes.

Fields transferred because he wasn't the starter as a true freshmen and possibly didn't believe he would be the starter as a sophomore. Any pretense that he felt unsafe is wholly false. If he felt so unsafe I highly doubt his family would be ok with sister joining the school as she has done. The actual quote from the former UGA baseball player, if I recall correctly, "let the ****** play", which although a horrible choice of words isn't the most malicious statement either (obligatory disclaimer: not a defense of the player or what he said, just pointing out how ludicrous Field's argument was).

My guess is Shae Patterson either made the process easier for future players with what he had to go through or the NCAA didn't want to deal with a potential lawsuit around racism.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #7135
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUowls
Yeah pretty much with this precedent there shouldn't be any kind of restrictions on college athletes.

Fields transferred because he wasn't the starter as a true freshmen and possibly didn't believe he would be the starter as a sophomore. Any pretense that he felt unsafe is wholly false. If he felt so unsafe I highly doubt his family would be ok with sister joining the school as she has done. The actual quote from the former UGA baseball player, if I recall correctly, "let the ****** play", which although a horrible choice of words isn't the most malicious statement either (obligatory disclaimer: not a defense of the player or what he said, just pointing out how ludicrous Field's argument was).

My guess is Shae Patterson either made the process easier for future players with what he had to go through or the NCAA didn't want to deal with a potential lawsuit around racism.
This is a good point. I believe they both employed Thomas Mars as their attorney. Maybe Fields has Patterson to thank because his NCAA case was sort of like a trial run for Mars last year.

I could also see the NCAA not wanting to get the NAACP on its case. lol. Fairly or unfairly, it would've become a racial "thing" had the NCAA declined the waiver request. Especially due to the "reason" invoked for Fields' waiver request.

I just hope Ohioans don't insult Fields in a way that would make him seek another transfer.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #7136
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Well, with Fields getting approved so easily I'd expect Martell to as well. It would be a little ridiculous to grant one and not the other when it's fairly obvious why both transferred. Even Tate has the horrible scandal at OSU to point to which is actually a bigger deal than what happened to Fields at UGA.

I doubt the NCAA wanted to deal with any of the backlash they'd get denying Fields and the "racist" situation he faced. I doubt the NCAA also wants to deal with any backlash from Martell and him wanting to get out of a university that seemed to promote covering up a wife beating situation.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »