Home

College Football Off Topic

This is a discussion on College Football Off Topic within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2022, 05:34 PM   #8657
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: College Football Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
"Pitt Biletnikoff Award winning WR Jordan Addison announces he's transferring to USC."

Total surprise .

That's finally over, on to the season.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Old 05-19-2022, 05:41 PM   #8658
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
This got shot down, thankfully.

It probably would have been too much too soon, insofar as how semiprofessional athletics in the United States is still inextricably tied to institutions of higher learning. As long as that association exists, things such as the fate of non-revenue sports and Title IX must be considered during any discussion of equitable expansion of student-athlete compensation.

That said, I am generally in favor of ending the current arrangement if it means the players are correctly treated as full-time employed laborers and are compensated for their efforts appropriately. The current system set up by the NCAA and its member institutions is a case study in inequity, greed, and exploitation.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:20 PM   #8659
All Star

OVR: 8

I realize the whole pot calling the kettle black issue here. He really wasn't wrong about anything he said, and while Jimbo has a right to defend himself he's not not fooling anyone into thinking his #1 class is simply by virtue of "doing things right".

It's a sticky situation overall. If players become employees of the school or some kind of direct pay system then we'll likely see the end of all non-revenue sports which would be truly tragic for many thousands of student athletes. Players should be able to make money off of their name, image and likeness though. I just don't know if it's possible to keep corruption, for lack of a better word, out of it when you allow it though.
Old 05-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #8660
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Whether it is what you believe is the morally right thing to do or not, that proposal makes having an athletics program at many schools simply not feasible.

The proposal was 50% of revenue. Not 50% of any profit left at the end of the fiscal year. 50% of total revenue. That's not a realistic expectation for any athletics program out there.

If we ever do get to a point where the schools and athletes split any money, it will be interesting to see what the split is. I imagine most people watching college sports are watching mostly for the name on the front of the jersey, not the ones on the back. How much of the viewership is because of the school and how much is because of the players? I don't believe it's 50/50, but I'm not sure you can really quantify it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 05-19-2022, 07:11 PM   #8661
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Whether it is what you believe is the morally right thing to do or not, that proposal makes having an athletics program at many schools simply not feasible.

The proposal was 50% of revenue. Not 50% of any profit left at the end of the fiscal year. 50% of total revenue. That's not a realistic expectation for any athletics program out there.
Yup, I conceded that in my post. So long as the system is what it is, there are multiple factors outside of player compensation to consider.

Quote:
If we ever do get to a point where the schools and athletes split any money, it will be interesting to see what the split is. I imagine most people watching college sports are watching mostly for the name on the front of the jersey, not the ones on the back. How much of the viewership is because of the school and how much is because of the players? I don't believe it's 50/50, but I'm not sure you can really quantify it.
I actually don't think the average rank-and-file college athlete has a whole lot of market value, and I agree with you that a lot of the value is attached to their uniform. Like, the second-string offensive guard at Bowling Green only has any NIL value because he is playing college football for Bowling Green. You could probably extend that upward to any college athlete at any school in any sport who does not have obvious pro-level talent in a major American professional sport or has not otherwise proven their market value (an example of the latter would be LSU gymnast and social media personality Olivia Dunne).

The issue with the NCAA placing any limit on player compensation is that (let's keep this just centered on college football for simplicity's sake) there is no college football player's union. Any industry-wide limitations on worker compensation such as a salary cap must be collectively bargained. Should the NCAA attempt to enforce limitations on worker compensation in any manner, someone will take the NCAA to court over those limits as a violation of anti-trust law and the NCAA would very immediately and decisively lose.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2022, 09:30 PM   #8662
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Meanwhile, I'm patiently waiting for Lane Kiffin to somehow indict himself.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 05-20-2022, 07:56 PM   #8663
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontoddwhitt
So if anyone in college has anything low-level sleazy to get off their chest, today would be the day to do it because it won't get any oxygen.

After Saban's comments last night, Jimbo just went scorched earth on Saban and I'm all for it. You hardly ever hear one coach talk about another coach like this...

https://twitter.com/bubbagumpino/sta...AqtsVIKnUuAWrQ
I'm going to have a big a** bag of popcorn ready for Oct. 8.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #8664
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Ohio State has successfully trademarked the word "The".

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »