Home

The Big 12 is a disaster

This is a discussion on The Big 12 is a disaster within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM   #25
Rookie

Black4track's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The Big 12 is a disaster

No disrespect to West Virginia, but the Big XII messed up bringing them in to the fold, good program but bad logistically. I felt that we should of went after Arkansas. While Arkansas makes more TV money in the SEC, I believe they could better benefit being in the big XII because of the history. They havent been that special since they joined the SEC. Before that they were Texas biggest rival and had rivalries with other schools.
Dallas Mavericks
UT LONGHORNS

Last edited by Black4track; 08-08-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4track
No disrespect to West Virginia, but the Big XII messed up bringing them in to the fold, good program but bad logistically. I felt that we should of went after Arkansas. While Arkansas makes more TV money in the SEC, I believe they could better benefit being in the big XII because of the history. They havent been that special since they joined the SEC. Before that they were Texas biggest rival and had rivalries with other schools.
I don't see how Arkansas was ever a realistic option. Why would Arkansas ever take that?

You could make an argument that Louisville would've been a better add than WVU, but it is what it is now. The Big 12 should've probably been decisive and added WVU, TCU, Louisville, and maybe Cincinnati back when they added WVU/TCU and before the ACC snatched up UL.

Of course, adding UL and Cincy would have made WVU not as poor of a logistical fit, as well.

In my perfect world, WVU would be in the ACC, but the world isn't perfect and 2012 was crazy. WVU in the Big 12 still kind of doesn't feel right to me, but it sure beats the corpse of the Big East.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDofBA
Dude, as a program Uconn is 39 games under .500 all-time and they have only been to a total of six bowl games.

Houston is well over .500 all-time and has won 11 bowl games which is twice as many as Uconn has even played in.

I'm not familiar with Uconn's facilities but I doubt they're in the same league as OU, Texas, TCU, Baylor, or Oklahoma State.

Uconn has no football tradition and has been horrible lately. That Fiesta Bowl team a few years ago was the worst BCS team of all-time.

Adding Houston makes way more sense than Uconn. You can start with logistics and move on from there.
The facilities are great. Practice facilities for football are top notch. Basketball just opened theirs last year too. Football stadium is still one of the newest in the country. Stadium size is the only knock on their facilities, but it was build with plans in place to expand by I believe 10,000 seats.

The other stuff is beside the point, i was responding to their "commitment to football" which is there as the facilities are great, they are willing to pay their coaches, and I believe they have the largest overall athletic budget of non p5 schools.

That said though, comparing bowl totals is silly, one school has been playing since the 40s, the other became FBS in 2003. Logistically, Houston makes a lot more sense, but when talking about criteria they are looking for the Big 12 higher ups haven't mentioned geography as a big deal. Conference expansion has been more about expanding their footprint than adding schools within their own region.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:05 PM   #28
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black4track
No possible way Arkansas would leave the SEC for the Big 12.
Not a chance, it makes no sense at all.
History means nothing, money means everything.
And I hate the SEC by the way.lol
Old 08-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #29
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

OVR: 23

People around here keep saying the Big 12 should go after Arkansas.....I don't get it. Arkansas isn't going to leave the SEC for a struggling confernce. That's a pipe dream.

When the Big 12's best options are teams from the AAC, there is no way a team from the SEC is going to want to come here. Let's get real.

No disrespect to Uconn but when adding their football program to your confernce is a legit option to help save the league, your confernce is quickly becoming irrelevant.

The Big 12 screwed up by not going after Louisville and Cincy when the added TCU and WVU. It would have made since logistically as far as divisions go and Louisville and Cincy would have brought a lot to the table.

The people running the conference are incompetent. They are reactionary instead of forward thinking. Honestly, I don't care if the league dissolves. I would like to see OU in the SEC or Pac-12 anyway.

I can't imaging paying the price for OU season tickets so I can see the likes of Uconn, UCF, or Tulane for conference home games. To put it in perspective, I used to see teams like Mizzou, Nebraska, and Texas A&M. There is quite a difference there.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

Last edited by BigDofBA; 08-10-2016 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #30
CC
MVP

CC's Arena

They should just disband the conference. Send Texas, Kansas, and maybe Oklahoma to the B1G (after getting rid of Rutgers), split the rest between ACC, Pacific 12, and AAC. Maybe Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:45 AM   #31
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC
They should just disband the conference. Send Texas, Kansas, and maybe Oklahoma to the B1G (after getting rid of Rutgers), split the rest between ACC, Pacific 12, and AAC. Maybe Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC.
Outside of basketball, why on Earth would the B1G want Kansas? And you've got Oklahoma going to the B1G and the SEC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #32
CC
MVP

CC's Arena

For basketball. Their prowess on the court trumps their shortcomings in other sports.

I was saying Rutgers was a horrible addition to the B1G, and would like to add Oklahoma or Kansas as the replacement, though Rutgers is proba ly under some kind of contract Id assume it is impossible. And I figure the only schools the SEC would be interested in are Oklahoma and Texas, and maaaaybe OK State and Baylor.

Last edited by CC; 08-10-2016 at 11:15 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »