Home

Keith Jackson

This is a discussion on Keith Jackson within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22
Keith Jackson

I couldn't find a thread on his passing so I thought it would be fitting here. Growing up in the 70's and 80's, I lived to hear Keith Jackson call a college football game each Saturday, and Bowl Game on New Years Day. He was a dandy!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Keith Jackson

RIP Keith.

He was one of the best.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 01-13-2018, 02:14 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Whoa Nellie.
w/o Keith, there is no Big House and the Rose Bowl is just another exhibition game,
not the Grandaddy of'em All.

A Work in Progress
Old 01-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
binging

SPTO's Arena

OVR: 53

It is not an exaggeration to say that Keith Jackson built the ABC Sports (now ESPN) college football behemoth. He was the voice of Saturday for generations and called some of the greatest games in college football history. I saw him on a somewhat recent internet show and he expressed how he wanted to highlight the players' as people and to emphasize the importance of their backgrounds and where they came from.

Keith Jackson loved the poetic and romantic notion of collegiate sports and always expressed himself in a classy style. Even in his later years when he wasn't at his best he always strove to make the event seem special and made you want to sit with him for the next 3+ hrs and enjoy the game.

R.I.P. Keith Jackson you will sorely be missed.

"Baseball is the most important thing that doesn't matter at all" - Robert B. Parker
Old 01-13-2018, 05:03 PM   #5
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Glad I searched for this before making a new thread in a different place. Sort of fitting that after a long and illustrious life, Jackson dies in a year when Alabama and Georgia played each other for a title (he was born in a border county of those 2 states). R.I.P.

Keith Jackson will always be the voice of college football as far as I'm concerned. He did that for over 50 years. He was the big game announcer for many of the games I saw growing up, games that cemented my fandom long before I ever set foot on a college campus. I remember he and Bob Griese made a good tandem, doing many a Michigan game and even when Bob's son Brian was the starting QB. To say that Keith was great at what he did would be a massive understatement.

His Wiki page reads as a sort of world history of sporting events--reporting from behind the Iron Curtain in a 1958 crew match between UW and the Soviet Union, covering the 1964 RNC with Walter Cronkite, announcing the inaugural season of Monday Night Football in 1970, covering the Olympics from Munich in 1972, doing World Series in the 70s and 80s, the Bucky Dent game, letting Al Michaels get the Lake Placid Miracle on Ice gig in 1980, working college basketball with Dick Vitale, doing NBA games alongside Bill Russell, coining nicknames for the Rose Bowl and Michigan Stadium, getting a Michigan marching band salute and gear from Bo Schembechler, getting an honorary toilet dedicated to him at Nebraska Stadium, capping it off with the call of Texas-Southern Cal in the Vince Young game.

Whoa Nellie! What a career.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

I will just say, I had tears, I'm just too sentimental of a person. I have reached an age where we're starting to lose those that created memorable moments for us, for me the ones that stand out had something to do with sports. Literally, every Saturday my beloved Grandpa and I would sit down to watch whatever game Keith Jackson did. When listening to other commentators, my Grandpa would comment that the guy "isn't a Keith Jackson". He was a gem, the likes we will never experience again.

Last edited by Hammerhunker; 02-18-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

It is really heart warming to read so many good thoughts about Keith. He was a legend in his own way. His iconic voice can make you much more interested in the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »