Home

The Case for UCF (Previously known as Week 7 discussion)

This is a discussion on The Case for UCF (Previously known as Week 7 discussion) within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #297
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: The Case for UCF (Previously known as Week 7 discussion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
So what is harder to replace? One starting QB or an entire starting defense?

If you're going to say Milton being out was huge difference then you have to admit the fact that LSU missing 8 starters was a huge difference also. If you want to say a Milton led UCF wins by 10 then we can just say an LSU with their 8 starters back may hold UCF yo under 100 yards and 17 points.
I think it's funny people are arguing as if McKenzie Milton is a Heisman finalist. The guy put it on Pitt and UConn and FAU etc, but nothing leads me to believe he would've been kryptonite to LSU's defense. He didn't even top 60% completion this year. Their backup QB Mack went 19/27 for 348 and 2 TD against Memphis in the AAC title game. Milton went 17/29 for 296 and 1 TD against the same team earlier in the season.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:19 PM   #298
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I would imagine Milton would perform much worse against even this depleted LSU defense than he did against Auburn last year where he struggled to pass even then. He would be running for his life and getting beat up all day today much like Mack was. UCF's OL couldn't keep up with LSU's pressure.

― Plato
Old 01-01-2019, 06:32 PM   #299
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Uhh, this is a contradiction.
BigDofBA made a transitive property argument implying that since Alabama embarrassed a team who comfortably beat UCF, UCF can't hang with 'Bama.

I too think Alabama would wipe the floor with UCF if they played each other, but if you're going to transitive property this, then I'm saying "do last year" when UCF beat a really good team that handed Alabama their only loss.

It just seems a little odd to spike the football with this result here knowing how the two playoff games went.

Last edited by Chip Douglass; 01-01-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:34 PM   #300
The Lord of #Hashtags

legendkiller5's Arena

OVR: 27

Thank you, LSU.
Old 01-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #301
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Douglass
BigDofBA made a transitive property argument implying that since Alabama embarrassed a team who comfortably beat UCF, UCF can't hang with 'Bama.

I too think Alabama would wipe the floor with UCF if they played each other, but if you're going to transitive property this, then I'm saying "do last year" when UCF beat a really good team that handed the eventual champ their only loss.

It just seems a little odd to spike the football with this result here knowing how the two playoff games went.
Whooooosh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2019, 07:18 PM   #302
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

Quote:
Which is 100% true.

Quote:
I too think Alabama would wipe the floor with UCF if they played each other, but if you're going to transitive property this, then I'm saying "do last year" when UCF beat a really good team that handed Alabama their only loss.
So again, you agree with me....and two, we're not talking about last year.

I get that the "transitive" argument is frowned upon but it was more in response to the guy that chimed in after OU had had 6 offensive snaps and said "I guarantee UCF would have more total offense right now"....like if that was some kind of argument validating UCF. lol

The American went 2-5 in bowl games beating 6-7 Va. Tech and 7-7 Louisiana. UCF played a weak schedule and didn't deserve to be in the playoff or "claim" a national title. It is what it is.

If you take the four teams that were trying to get that last playoff spot and had a draft, Milton would probably be the last QB taken. I think missing 73% of your defense is a much bigger deal but that's just me.

Milton doesn't play defense either. You give up over 550 yard and 40 points to an average SEC offense what do you think would happen against Bama, Clemson, OU, Ohio State, Georgia, etc.?

You only muster 250 yards against LSU's second string defense how are you going to beat any of the teams I just mentioned?

I rooted for UCF to beat Auburn last year because I like rooting for the underdog. After they started hanging national championship banners I lost all respect for them. It's one thing to argue for the chance to play for a title, it's another to start plastering National Champions on your stadium and have a ring ceremony for something you didn't even play for.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder
Old 01-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #303
Hall Of Fame

NYJets's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

If you're going to say Milton being out was huge difference then you have to admit the fact that LSU missing 8 starters was a huge difference also.

But who's not doing that? I haven't seen any pro UCF person, here or anywhere act like LSU was at full strength. I mean I'm sure there are on some UCF message board or something, but there's no popular narrative that UCF hung tight with a full strength LSU team.

But I have seen people write paragraphs about this game without even mentioning Milton was out, and I've seen people say that this game is proof that no g5 team can compete with the upper echelon p5 teams (nevermind the times in the past where they did, those games didn't count). LSU was clearly the better team today, but to use this game as some statement against UCF/the non power 5 like so many in the media and around here are doing is kind of silly.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:36 PM   #304
B**m*r S**n*r!

BigDofBA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJets
But I have seen people write paragraphs about this game without even mentioning Milton was out, and I've seen people say that this game is proof that no g5 team can compete with the upper echelon p5 teams
I and many others have mentioned that Milton was out. We even made comparisons of missing your QB compared to missing 8 starters on defense.

Also, where is one quote from anyone saying that "No" g5 team could compete with upper echelon p5 teams?

"Competing" with upper tier p5 teams is one thing. To claim that UCF deserves a playoff spot over Georiga, OU, Ohio State, etc. is another. That's what I and I think everyone else is arguing.

If they had scheduled like TCU, Boise, and Houston teams of the past...then ok but they didn't.

UCF is a good team. They are not as good as Bama, Clemson, Notre Dame, OU, Ohio State, Georgia, and now LSU.
NFL - Dallas Cowboys
NBA - Oklahoma City Thunder

Last edited by BigDofBA; 01-01-2019 at 07:43 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »