Home

Week 14 Discussion

This is a discussion on Week 14 Discussion within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2019, 01:17 PM   #25
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Week 14 Discussion

I know Shea Patterson dropped the snap...but those two running plays with Patterson were awful play calls. So frustrating to watch Michigan...

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2019, 01:18 PM   #26
The Predator

Sportsbuck's Arena

OVR: 8

OSU’s defense is also missing a first round pick (Shaun Wade) at a spot that’s really hurting them in this game.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #27
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

I have never seen a team as self destructive as Harbaugh’s Michigan teams...unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I am in no way saying you're wrong, but is it really fair these days that coaches like Frost aren't getting more time? Have Saban and now Dabo made expectations unrealistic for so many coaches? Nebraska isn't recruiting at an elite level and isn't the program it used to be. Unlike other powers that have fallen like USC, FSU, or even Miami, Nebraska really does not have a location advantage or a serious recruiting advantage. As we've seen time after time, USC can still recruit at a near elite level despite their woes. FSU and Miami are going to stumble into top 15 classes the vast majority of the time regardless of how poor their seasons are. Miami and USC have really fallen off from where they were in the early part of the 2000's, yet both are still there as two of the handful of schools that have over 50% on the blue chip ratio.

Nebraska has its history and that is about it right now. It isn't like California or Florida where you can find 10 blue chippers on one city block and 2 or 3 of them are bound to stay home because they love the hometown team or are just wanting to stay near family even if the hometown school isn't a title contender.

I just personally feel like Nebraska has an extremely tough hill to climb and it likely won't ever be what it once was because the landscape has changed so much. It can still become a program that can fight for playoff contention, but I think Frost needs probably 4 years at least to show any kind of improvement. I know this year had plenty of hype for whatever reason and he's got another losing season coming, but if you go and look at their composite talent they aren't really fielding a roster much different than the likes of UNC, VT, TCU, Mich St. The other schools I mentioned are at least closer to Clemson's talent composite than they are Nebraska. Even USC's talent composite is considered greater than Clemson's on 247.

I think too many people have unrealistic expectations with certain schools. When schools like USC, FSU, Miami, and Texas are sitting there with top 15 rosters from a composite standpoint then it is fair to judge them a bit more harshly early on in a tenure, even in the first year like Miami with Diaz and losing games like FIU, GT, and almost losing to CMU. USC going 8-4 is an underachieving season given the talent they still pull in. Herman has brought in multiple top 3 recruiting classes and his 3rd year is a big disappointment especially after last year's end. Nebraska, though, they aren't really packing a roster that really separates itself into an upper tier.

I haven't watched a ton of them this year, but I feel like Frost deserves more time and less scrutiny than guys like Helton, Taggart when he was there, Diaz, and Herman.
I basically agree. I mean, Scott Frost took over a winless mid-major and went perfect two years later. I don't think he lacks coaching ability!

If he can't turn it around (or even Mike Riley, for that matter), you have to wonder who can.

Old 11-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Just saying, the powers that be must think he's gonna do something, or they wouldn't have extended him.
The powers that be at Notre Dame thought the same about Charlie Weis when they gave him a monster extension after he got off to a hot start. He was canned a few years later.

Things have a way of snowballing at major programs where the expectations are super-high. If Nebraska next year is struggling to make a bowl game, yeah, he's going to be on the hot seat, extension or not. They fired Bo Pelini even though he won *at least* 9 games a year.

Old 11-30-2019, 02:06 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40

#44 on Michigan is an idiot.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:09 PM   #31
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjames1992
#44 on Michigan is an idiot.
Double foul there with the holding. So stupid

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2019, 02:24 PM   #32
All Star

OVR: 8

Jake Fromm is not having a good year. He was good as a freshman, better as a sophomore, but he has regressed as a junior. I imagine a lot of it has to do with the complete turnover of the receiving corp (it's rare that any of them are able to separate from their defender) and quite honestly some horrifically predictable playcalling. He's missing short-medium passes that he has never missed before though. Perhaps he's pressing due to the other factors, but this team is going to get crushed by LSU next week.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »