Home

College football playoff

This is a discussion on College football playoff within the College Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: College football playoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardot
Back in August, who could have imagined Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St all making the playoffs??? Talk about a long shot.
Hahaha

Imagine we get 3 games of ND vs Clemson? Lol Sounds like 2020 in a nut shell
Old 12-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #10
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Dabo got no chill lol
https://twitter.com/BTNDaveRevsine/s...945572357?s=20
Old 12-21-2020, 01:40 PM   #11
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I wanted to see Cincinnati get a shot; instead the committee jumped Oklahoma over them. The Go5 is never going to get a chance.
I wish the Go5 would just create their own playoff. Probably not a ratings bonanza, but should draw at least as much as the Boca Raton or LendingTree bowls.

As it is now, the best a Go5 team can hope for is a consolation bowl against a top team. But even that is a no win proposition. If they lose, people say "See, they don't belong". If they win, it is brushed off as "That power 5 team was disappointed they missed the playoff and didn't want to be there".
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2020, 10:00 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

We are most likely never returning to a format similar to the BCS system or before, and I have always been against playoff expansion, but at this point it has to happen. I hate the idea of taking away the magic of the regular season where perfection is near required to reach a title game/major bowl, but the playoff system has created a climate that is stale. The same handful of teams are getting into the playoffs constantly, they are in return gathering up all of the talent, bowl games are losing their luster as more and more players sit out theirs.

I hated the idea of going past 6 or 8, but really, 8 to 16 is needed at this point. I'd rather actually see G5 teams and some At Large bids over watching some combination of Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Georgia getting the 4 spots. Expanding the field and having some games played on campus could actually reintroduce some magic into the college game. Imagine a first round where all conference champs (at least seeds 1 through 8) get home field advantage and we have some matchup where a G5 school like Boise makes it and hosts an At Large Georgia in Idaho on their campus post-Covid with a packed house.

That sounds completely worth it over what CFB has turned into at this point. I've seen some people suggest 16 spots, all conference champs get in automatically, then the rest are At Large bids. The issue with this system is that the #1 seed potentially has a harder game than the #7 seed for example. Bama may end up playing an At Large Georgia while an #8 seed G5 school plays another G5 school.

Maybe this is a horrible idea, but I'd suggest you seed the first 8 teams by committee rankings. Then have the top 8 teams pick who they host in the 1st round starting with #1 then #2 and so on. This allows a #1 seed Bama to pick some poor G5 team to play in the 1st round instead of getting an At Large like Georgia thrown their way. The #8 seed doesn't get to select who they play, but at least in this scenario whoever is the 8 seed gets home field advantage.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 12-22-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #13

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
We are most likely never returning to a format similar to the BCS system or before, and I have always been against playoff expansion, but at this point it has to happen. I hate the idea of taking away the magic of the regular season where perfection is near required to reach a title game/major bowl, but the playoff system has created a climate that is stale. The same handful of teams are getting into the playoffs constantly, they are in return gathering up all of the talent, bowl games are losing their luster as more and more players sit out theirs.

I hated the idea of going past 6 or 8, but really, 8 to 16 is needed at this point. I'd rather actually see G5 teams and some At Large bids over watching some combination of Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and Georgia getting the 4 spots. Expanding the field and having some games played on campus could actually reintroduce some magic into the college game. Imagine a first round where all conference champs get home field advantage and we have some matchup where a G5 school like Boise makes it and hosts an At Large Georgia in Idaho on their campus post-Covid with a packed house.

That sounds completely worth it over what CFB has turned into at this point. I've seen some people suggest 16 spots, all conference champs get in automatically, then the rest are At Large bids. The issue with this system is that the #1 seed potentially has a harder game than the #7 seed for example. Bama may end up playing an At Large Georgia while an #8 seed G5 school plays another G5 school.

Maybe this is a horrible idea, but I'd suggest you seed the first 8 teams by committee rankings. Then have the top 8 teams pick who they host in the 1st round starting with #1 then #2 and so on. This allows a #1 seed Bama to pick some poor G5 team to play in the 1st round instead of getting an At Large like Georgia thrown their way. The #8 seed doesn't get to select who they play, but at least in this scenario whoever is the 8 seed gets home field advantage.
The FCS playoffs have layed the groundwork. It would certainly need to be tweeked for the FBS (and most certainly we don't need 24 teams, maybe not even 16).

Quote:
How does seeding for the FCS playoff work?
Once the full field of 24 teams is completed, the committee seeds the top eight teams. This begins with committee members recommending teams for the top-eight seed pool. A team must receive at least 30 percent of the votes to be included in the seed pool. Once this is done, each committee member ranks the teams in the seed pool via poll vote. The committee reviews and discusses this preliminary ranking before voting again. This final vote produces the eight seeded teams, in order.
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/a...Frisco%2C%20TX.

That's a HUGE leap but anyone who has followed that level knows how fun it is. I think you're right though, at this point, we've reached the point of no return and in order to bring some level of equality back something has to change.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Who knows if expansion leads to talent being spread out again, but the committee is inconsistent with their line of thinking and 4 teams allows their human element to screw too many teams out. I still believe that we generally only have about 3 truly elite teams around the nation each season, but at this point I would much rather see these G5 schools get their shot along with some At Large P5 teams. These G5 schools that go 12-0 or 11-1 definitely play easier schedules, but I'm tired of the committee making up new reasons to put Bama or Ohio State or ND back into the playoffs when they don't even win their conferences.

I'd be less frustrated watching a non-champion P5 team win a title if they fought their way through a 16-team playoff field versus watching Bama or Ohio State being gifted a playoff spot when they don't even win their conference, or don't even play for the conference title. At least in a 16-team field they play 4 games and they are more worthy of the trophy than in the current system where they play 2 games.

― Plato
Old 12-22-2020, 11:17 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I make some variation of this post every year, but I still like this idea the best to bring back some tradition while having an actual playoff:

Orange Bowl
ACC Champ (Clemson, this year) vs. Wild Card (Texas A&M)

Sugar Bowl
SEC Champ (Alabama) vs. Wild Card (Cincinnati)

Cotton Bowl (or Fiesta)
Big 12 Champ (Oklahoma) vs. Wild Card (Notre Dame)

Rose Bowl
Big 10 Champ (Ohio State) vs. Pac 12 Champ (Oregon)

Winners of those bowls are your Final Four; play it down from there however you want. Committee can seed the teams and select the three wild cards.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-23-2020, 12:26 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I can imagine the salt of B1G and Pac-12 fans in that scenario w here the SEC Champ gets to play a G5 team some years while the Rose Bowl tie-ins force the other two conferences to always play each other.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > College Football »