Home

CH 2k8 Move List

This is a discussion on CH 2k8 Move List within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
CH 2k8 Move List

These are the moves listed in the game manual and those that I know of that aren't (these are marked with an asterisk). If anyone has additional moves for the list, lemme know! (Like a drop step. You've got to be able to drop step.) It's kinda long, but I've seen a lot of people asking questions about the controls, either because of poor documentation or lack of a manual, so I thought maybe a controls thread wouldn't be a bad idea

POST MOVES

Hold LT and back into to defender to engage, then . . .

*Spin move: Release LT and push the L-stick towards ball hand; alternately, hold LT + RT and push L-stick towards ball hand

Turnaround: Hold R-stick left or right of the basket; hold R-stick away from the basket (seems to add a little shimmy to the animation, but I could be wrong)

Up 'n under: Tap R-stick left or right of the basket, then hold left or right of basket

Hook shot: Hold R-stick toward basket; if you're really close to the hoop, this can initiate a quasi-drop step that is almost always missed.

*Face up: Before putting the ball on the ground, hold L-stick away from basket

Fadeaway: Face up, then release LT and hold L-stick away from basket while shooting

ISO MOVES

While dribbling . . .

*Spin stop: While dribbling towards basket, hold RT & tap X; picks up your dribble

*Jump stop: While dribbling towards basket, tap X

*Separation move: Hold L-stick away from basket and tap X

Stutter: Push L-stick forward or towards ball hand and tap B

Crossover: Push L-stick away from ball hand and tap B

*Double cross: Push L-stick forward or towards ball hand and double-tap B

Behind the back: Push L-stick away from ball hand and double-tap B

Fake crossover: Push L-stick forward or towards ball hand and tap Y

Hesitation crossover (think AI): Push L-stick away from ball hand and tap Y

*Fake spin: Push L-stick forward or towards ball hand and double-tap Y

Spin: Push L-stick away from ball hand and double-tap Y

Hesitation: Push L-stick forward or towards ball hand and tap RT
*To cross it over, tap RT and push L-stick away from ball hand

TRIPLE THREAT

I can't find any practical use for any of these except the protect ball to spin move animation, if someone knows how to better utilize these suckers, enlightenment would be swell.

Without dribbling, hold LT + RT and . . .

To jab step across body: Push L-stick towards pivot foot

To jab away from body: Push L-stick away from pivot foot

To jab towards defender: Push L-stick towards basket

To protect ball: Pull L-stick away from basket

*To spin out of protect ball animation: Protect ball, then release LT and push L-stick away from pivot

Pump fake: Tap X

Interesting note: If you jab step and quickly head fake while still in the jab animation, your player will take a step or so towards the basket without dribbling

You can chain most of your ISO and TT moves together and interrupt the shorter ones mid-animation . . . i.e. protect ball, spin, stutter, go behind the back, cross it over, jump back and brick the J.

PASSING

Alley-oop: Hold LT and hit A; works best when the cutting player is somewhere near the 3-point line and headed for the basket; this is a good way to rack up the turnovers

Flashy passes: Hold RT and hit A; no looks, behind the back, over shoulder, etc. You can throw alley-oops and use direct passing with RT as well. Most of these get stolen, but at least they look cool.

*Jump pass: Go up for a shot and press A mid-animation. Can't be used with any shot with an extended animation sequence - lay ups, post moves, etc. Another great way to give the ball to the opposing team

Maximum passing: Nice concept, but it's pretty much worthless. I'd recommend switching LB to Off Ball Control.

*OFF BALL CONTROL

Switch your control scheme so that OBC is mapped to the left bumper; hold LB and use the D-Pad to select the desired player, then (while still holding LB) . . .

To switch to the selected player: Hit RB. You can call for a pass by hitting A.

To have the selected player set an on-ball screen: Hit B

To have the selected player run off a screen: Hit A

To have the selected player "get open" (French for "stand there looking stupid): Hit X

To have the selected player post up: Hit Y

LAYUPS

Make sure you're holding RT and moving at a good clip towards the basket while somewhere near the key, then . .

Right-handed: Push R-stick right of hoop

Left-handed: Push R-stick left of hoop

Basic: Push R-stick towards hoop. Seems to alternate between two-footed "sliding" lay ups and more conventional ones.

Floater: Pull R-stick away from hoop. This works very well if you can start the animation a little further from the basket. If you're too close, the ball tends to ricochet off the rim into the shooter's head.

Reverse: If the player is coming at the basket from the side, pushing the R-stick in any direction seems to randomly initiate reverse lay ups . . . if anyone knows how to deliberately trigger a reverse, let me know!

DUNKS

Using the same approach as a layup, except with a much cleaner look, hold (don't flick) the R-stick in the indicated direction . . .

Basic: Towards basket; pretty generic looking, but you'll see the occasional wind mill

Flashy: To the left of basket; the flashy dunks seem to look a lot like the basic ones

Power: To the right of the basket; this is what you want to abuse people with when you've got Shaq Mk. II in the low post; guards and 3's will throw down the occasional tomahawk

Reverse: Pull away from the basket; these are the cool ones. Double clutches (think Stevie Francis), two or three different 360's, and that thing VC does where he jumps from one side of the hoop, ducks his head to avoid losing teeth on the rim, and windmills it on the far side.

Last edited by moe_42; 09-20-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: CH 2k8 Move List

I think I flick the R-stick when I try to dunk sometimes and it goes into a funky animation where I bump into the defender. Holding the r-stick may fix this?

How do I commit a hard foul on a guy that is going up for a dunk/layup?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
I think I flick the R-stick when I try to dunk sometimes and it goes into a funky animation where I bump into the defender. Holding the r-stick may fix this?
Even with your dunk in traffic and dunk sliders all the way up, it's ridiculously hard to throw it down if there's a defender nearby, but holding the R-stick should help. You'll still need a high combination of vertical, strength, and dunk ratings (and maybe shoot in traffic?).

Quote:
How do I commit a hard foul on a guy that is going up for a dunk/layup?
Holding turbo and hitting block does it sometimes; I'm not sure what happens if you hit intentional foul (back button on the 360), I've never tried it.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
Pro

Mangum's Arena

OVR: 6

Anyone care to post the moves for PS2? I think I'm going to start back up my Florida Gulf Coast dynasty again
Old 10-02-2008, 12:15 AM   #5
I'm not on InstantFace.

Cardot's Arena

OVR: 22

Cool thread. Thanks for posting Moe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2024, 10:34 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

Still playing this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »