Home

The College Hoops 2K8 esoteric information thread (learn and discuss the arcane)

This is a discussion on The College Hoops 2K8 esoteric information thread (learn and discuss the arcane) within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #49
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: The College Hoops 2K8 esoteric information thread (learn and discuss the arcane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
I honestly didn't know you could have multiple created/custom playbooks loaded at the same time...
Yup, there are two slots to load palybooks... As noted in post #5 of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_42
What difficulty setting do you use? I would guess that and slider settings would affect who the CPU gets the ball too.
I play on default All American, 20 minute halves. I imagine if you start tweaking things the CPU will play different... But with the results I'm getting, I am more than satisfied.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #50
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Re: The College Hoops 2K8 esoteric information thread (learn and discuss the arcane)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaytay1104
So how exactly do I get the CPU to use these playbooks?
Last paragraph of post #5 of this thread...

"Custom playbooks do not automatically load, so as soon as the game boots up load each of them manually as needed into each slot. To use them in a game press the OPTIONS button at the team select screen, and select the playbook to be used for the HOME and AWAY team."
Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #51
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

I've done some more testing and custom playbooks for the CPU is working out quite nicely. It mainly does two things:

1. Weeds out the bad plays.
2. Gets the ball into the scorer's hands more.

This results in more realistic play from the CPU on the offensive end.

I created a balanced playbook of 20 plays, for teams with inside and outside game, and tested it out against as '81 Indiana vs. '90 LSU (C Shaq, PF Stanley Roberts, SG The Legend Chris Jackson). They started out feeding Shaq down low often and he had two monster dunks, getting fouled each time. He ended up getting in foul trouble himself, and Chris Jackson started to take over... Along with Roberts getting a few buckets from posting up.

I ended up losing by 16, with Jackson ending up with 20 some odd points, Roberts 12, and Shaq 11 in limited time.

Here's the balanced book I created, for those who don't want to go through the playbooks themselves:

CPU Balanced
BOX- PF Pop Clear
BOX- Pick then Post
BOX- PF Double Screen
MOTION- SF Weak Side
MOTION- SG Stagger
MOTION- PG Combo
MOTION- Switchback
MOTION- 24 Motion
FLEX- PG- PF Pick and Roll
FLEX- PG Choice
FLEX- PF Low Post
FLEX- PG-C High Screen and Roll
UCLA HIGH POST- SF Low Post
UCLA HIGH POST- SG Iso
PRINCETON- C Low Post Feed
STACK- Double Cross
STACK- Screen Step Out
STACK- PG Clear Out
STACK- 41
STACK- Michigan

You very well might be able to just use this playbook, or another like it, for the CPU playbook all the time. When in Legacy you have to exit Legacy to reload another playbook. So if your upcoming opponent has a star PF and you have a perimeter playbook loaded, you have to exit, load, reload, etc... Not that big of a deal, but like I say, one balanced playbook would probably suffice and save yourself the trouble.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 AM   #52
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

Oh yeah... muggins... About your problem with the 2-3...

I never run zone outside of the occasional 1-3-1, but ran some 2-3 as I tested the CPU playbooks... And yeah, that's a pretty nasty little glitch... It's not even an L, it's more like a V going all the way down to the blocks...

I think what's happening is that the SF or PF (whoever is on that side down low) kind of steps out to cover the man on the wing without going all the way out, and the guard goes down to cover that small open space.

I really don't think there's a way around it, except to take control of that player when an offensive player is out on the wing like that.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 AM   #53
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15

I don't remember which zone I always used, it was either 1-2-2 or 2-1-2 but I seemed to get better coverage on the wings.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #54
MVP

spit_bubble's Arena

^ Good suggestion. Maybe the 1-1-3 works better as well???
Old 10-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #55
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

I'll try that out for sure. I have been playing about two games a night again since I gave up on NBA2k9 and I still love this game so much. My sliders are perfect, I'm in my 3rd or 4th season at Northern Colorado and I'm under .500.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #56
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by koshi
^ Good suggestion. Maybe the 1-1-3 works better as well???
1-1-3 is a defense to run against teams that don't shoot too well or much threes at all.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »