Home

College Hoops 2k13/NCAA 2013

This is a discussion on College Hoops 2k13/NCAA 2013 within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: College Hoops 2k13/NCAA 2013

via Wikipedia:

"O'Bannon was named as the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit filed against the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) on behalf of its Division I football and men's basketball players over the organization's use for commercial purposes of the images of its former student athletes. Specifically, the suit argued that upon graduation, a former student athlete should become entitled to financial compensation for future commercial uses of his or her image by the NCAA.[15][16] In January 2011, Oscar Robertson, considered one of the greatest basketball players of all-time, joined O'Bannon in the class action suit."

So why don't they just say okay dude, and cut out all the old school rosters. I know some people like them but overall, who cares? I personally wouldn't notice I just do the Legacy and would do a MyPlayer too if they had it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 7

The breaking even point should be invalid I think, mostly because back in 2008-2009 2k was not known as well as they are now. Of course a few people played 2k but Live was still on its decline. Not many people were buying college because most likely they were buying nba 2k and Live. Now that 2k dominates basketball video games they should have no reason to bring it back.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #27
Rookie

DmosleyBoy's Arena

EA has exclusive rights from the CLC for everything ncaa. They quit making their CBB game due to the lawsuit. But idc, EA's CBB game was absolutely terrible and was missing a shiiteload of teams. But there is also another lawsuit against EA claiming the exclusive rights to the ncaa is a monopoly, which is illegal, there are a ton of details, wish i wouldve saved the article to favs when i read it, to link. Anyways, 2K cant make any collegiate games, nor can anyone else, until EA's exclusive deal comes to an end, which is sometime in 2014. But they would still have to pay what the CLC wants to get the rights to make any collegiate game which i really hope they do. 2K made a superior game to EA and id love to see it again! Heres hoping to NCAA Football 14 having all the FBS teams this go round! idiots.....
Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 AM   #28
Rookie

DmosleyBoy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaj315
not to mention new Division 1 schools

last i heard they were up to 70 teams and i im just assuming they plan to do every D1 team. thats what im hoping for anyways :P id be willing to pay any price at that point! 347 teams is alot of work, but id pay as much as a used car would cost to have that!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #29
MVP

waytofailself's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceOnTheLoose
via Wikipedia:

"O'Bannon was named as the lead plaintiff in a lawsuit filed against the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) on behalf of its Division I football and men's basketball players over the organization's use for commercial purposes of the images of its former student athletes. Specifically, the suit argued that upon graduation, a former student athlete should become entitled to financial compensation for future commercial uses of his or her image by the NCAA.[15][16] In January 2011, Oscar Robertson, considered one of the greatest basketball players of all-time, joined O'Bannon in the class action suit."

So why don't they just say okay dude, and cut out all the old school rosters. I know some people like them but overall, who cares? I personally wouldn't notice I just do the Legacy and would do a MyPlayer too if they had it.
Because it opens the door for any player represented in the game to get compensation. Part of the suit discusses players who are substantially similar to their real life counterparts in the game -- if you've played a college game you know what I'm talking about.

What would make this far simpler is if the NCAA allowed student athletes to receive sponsorship/promotional money etc. but that's never going to happen.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #30
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmosleyBoy
EA has exclusive rights from the CLC for everything ncaa. They quit making their CBB game due to the lawsuit. But idc, EA's CBB game was absolutely terrible and was missing a shiiteload of teams. But there is also another lawsuit against EA claiming the exclusive rights to the ncaa is a monopoly, which is illegal, there are a ton of details, wish i wouldve saved the article to favs when i read it, to link. Anyways, 2K cant make any collegiate games, nor can anyone else, until EA's exclusive deal comes to an end, which is sometime in 2014. But they would still have to pay what the CLC wants to get the rights to make any collegiate game which i really hope they do. 2K made a superior game to EA and id love to see it again! Heres hoping to NCAA Football 14 having all the FBS teams this go round! idiots.....
EA does NOT have exclusive rights to college basketball man, people need to stop saying this and they didn't stop making their college bball game because of the lawsuit. Why would they stop making the basketball game because of the lawsuit and yet continue making the football game? They stop making their bball game because it sold like **** partly because it was bug filled, boring, subpar to College Hoops 2K8 and like every other college basketball game made ridiculously underpromoted considering the struggling sales of the games and all of that just didn't justify the cost of making the game. You don't just license all of college sports, that's ridiculous. There are separate licenses for each of the sports. You would have to go to the CLC for each individual sport to license it in that manner.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

Yeah, like King said, EA doesn't own an exclusive NCAA license, any party can buy in, but the CLC is too expensive for companies to make a profit. It sucks, but that's pretty much why 2K stopped the series.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #32
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waytofailself
Because it opens the door for any player represented in the game to get compensation. Part of the suit discusses players who are substantially similar to their real life counterparts in the game -- if you've played a college game you know what I'm talking about.

What would make this far simpler is if the NCAA allowed student athletes to receive sponsorship/promotional money etc. but that's never going to happen.
True.. Or can NCAA just have D1 athletes have no choice? Like if you sign on for the team you can't sue anyone for using you likeness... I don't know but I doubt a single college athlete would say no to that, almost all I'm sure WANT to see themselves, I bet current players are bummed out there isn't a game they can get to play as "themselves" and their teammates. I would guess it's mostly dude's who are post-career and got washed out of the NBA and maybe running low on money who would sue

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »