Home

How to Hex Edit Coaches

This is a discussion on How to Hex Edit Coaches within the College Hoops 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-24-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
How to Hex Edit Coaches

This demonstration is done with a decrypted PS3 roster file, and will not look exactly the same for the 360 version.

I'm not entirely sure how to "reverse-lookup" on the Xbox, but most of the wins and loses are unique, meaning most coaches will not have the same wins and loses.

Here's my short non-detailed guide I originally posted:
http://forums.operationsports.com/fo...6&postcount=34

Step 1: Locate the coach(es) you want to edit:

Spoiler

I'm using the OS 09-10 rosters for this, for those who may be wondering.

What I do is I make a text file exactly like the one posted here: http://forums.operationsports.com/fo...5&postcount=75

If you look at the top of the txt file it shows you where each thing is located.

Step 2: Converting DEC (Normal numbers, for lack of better term) to HEX values.

Here's Oliver Purnell's record:

What I do is type out the wins and loses can convert them into hex. But first you have to set up the calculator first. Go to the "View" tab and select Programmer.

Then I type in the wins. 326 and convert it to HEX, remember to make sure it's on DEC.
Spoiler

You'll do the same with the loses.

If you look at the coaches text file, the conversion is already done, if not you'll get this "146 F9" The way I set up my hex editor, it's in 2 bytes meaning it looks like 0000 0000. So you need to have 4 values/digits, if the values you get aren't 4 digits (which they most likely won't be) you have to add zero's in front of them. So "146" will be "0146" and "F9" will be 00F9.

Step 3: Hex Editor
I use Hex Workshop, btw.

Here shows you how the columns look, what I do is put my most inbetween the columns like 0/1 or 1/2... it doesn't matter, but double click and drag to the right. Here's how it should look when you've done it:
Spoiler

Now you press Cltr-F to use the find option, and you put Purnells (or whatever coach you're editing) record which would be 014600F9
Spoiler

If you refer back to the little guide I made awhile back, that I linked up-top you can do this little trick to "reverse lookup" the name:

Press cltr-g, that will take you to the "goto" option REMEMBER WHEN YOU USE THIS OPTION ALWAYS START AT THE BEGINNING OF THE ROSTER FILE (Not the option of beginning of file, but where "003D" is at)

Spoiler

As you can see the O in Oliver is underlined, because that's where the values you copied and pasted start.

Protip: If you check the box to find all instances, it will show you how many times those values show up.

Attributes:
I explain it here
http://forums.operationsports.com/fo...2&postcount=26

Oliver Purnell's attributes are highlighted in red:

Hopefully this is clearer for you guys and motivates you guys to explore hex editing for Choops!

Last edited by Brock; 06-24-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
MVP

Re: How to Hex Edit Coaches

Also, for coaches with no wins or loses. For xbox users this will be trial and error, since I don't know how to find names on them. But you have to use the birthdates (year).

So if I remember correctly, you have to take the age of the coach (birthyear) you want to edit, and substract it from 2007 since that's the game's year and convert it to hex.

Edit: On second thought, unless you're using a completely new roster or you're editing ALL of the coaches, you won't need this information. I edited all of the coaches I think from the power/major conf. with no wins and loses.

Last edited by Brock; 06-24-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:38 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

THANK YOU !!!!!
Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRASKA15
THANK YOU !!!!!
No problem, I've been too lazy to make a full guide, but decided to whip it up right quick after work. It's only been less than 24hrs, but I'm glad to see some replys/responses. Hopefully by the end of the week, someone gets the hang and we can expand the hex editing community in choops.

Edit: Are the links working? For some reason I keep getting an error when I click on them.

Last edited by Brock; 06-24-2017 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 3

This is great. I wish there was an editor for this game. I'd pay for it
I am building a website that will host classic sport gaming rosters from years past. We have lost many great rosters for good over the past several years due to expired links. If your interested in contributing, please PM me and let the work live on forever!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
Just started!

Hey, I've tried searching for Mike K (duke coach) and when putting in his record for the base roster the game comes with, no matter what text editor I use, nothing comes up when I search for his record. his win loss record is 0307 0105. Anything you can do to help with this? when you mention the roster is "decrypted" does that mean you did something to the SAVEDATA file before searching through the roster?
Old 10-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog234
Hey, I've tried searching for Mike K (duke coach) and when putting in his record for the base roster the game comes with, no matter what text editor I use, nothing comes up when I search for his record. his win loss record is 0307 0105. Anything you can do to help with this? when you mention the roster is "decrypted" does that mean you did something to the SAVEDATA file before searching through the roster?
Yeah, if you're using a ps3 save you have to decrypt it with bruteforcer.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:10 AM   #8
Rookie

This is actually super easy thanks to how well Brock and others explained things and showed how they did their work.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games > College Hoops 2K »