Home

Official Wii Discussion

This is a discussion on Official Wii Discussion within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 11:17 AM   #9
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Official Wii Impressions

I'm busting mine open right now and getting ready to check it out. I'll be back sometime tonight with impressions.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 7

I got mine last night and as set up was a breeze. No problem logging into my wireless network, ran the update, etc. Made a few Miis and gave a run through Wii Sports. Tennis and Bowling are definitely the standouts. In Tennis I was able to really change up the velocity on the ball, with lobs and topspin. Bowling is a great reproduction, though the lack of weight to the controller does seem strange when you move it forward. Its no bowling ball! Baseball was just okay, but since I don't much care for the sport itself the videogame recreation doesn't excite me. Golf was hard - though you hold the remote like a club it is hard to gauge the power. I was better at it than in real life. Boxing I like, even though it has slightly unresponsive control. Because you are throwing the punches it is very immersive, and that makes the occasional missed punch input more frustrating.

I just put in Zelda this morning. So far it is good, and the controls are impressive. Targeting is no problem, but I haven't gotten the sword yet to test swinging it. I am having a personal issue with it, in that I am left handed and I've always used my left thumb to move. Because I need better control for aiming, I've switched hands and my right thumb is so clumsy as to be laughable. I run into things to say the least. Never realized how little I used my right thumb - even in shooters - with a traditional two stick control. I can't imagine watching me play would be much fun.

I'm very satisfied with my purchase. The control is that different and yet well done.

Plus I was able to get a second controller and nunchuk, so I expect some Punchout-style action to ensue after Thanksgivng dinner.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:26 AM   #11
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56
I'm busting mine open right now and getting ready to check it out. I'll be back sometime tonight with impressions.
same...only game I have is Zelda...im thinking about COD3 since im not a big FPS shooter on console but with the Wii control im tempted on getting it....

Last edited by Goffs; 11-19-2006 at 11:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #12
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

So far, I have spent an 1hr with Wii Sports and 30 minutes with Zelda.

The interactivity of the controller really adds a whole new dimension to the games. I really see those of us that have been upset with sports games over the last few years that it will add a new dimension to the gameplay after playing Wii Sports. I will eat some crow right now for having any kind of doubts or snide remarks towards the Wiimote/Nanchuck.

I can't believe how fun the Wii Sports titles are with this controller setup and it makes you not want to go back to the old way of playing sports titles by seeing what is capable here. I may end up getting Madden on the Wii sometime this week now after playing Wii Sports and enjoying the new aspect on gameplay. I had tons of fun with Tennis, Baseball, and Bowling. I like the boxing but it was simple, I can only imagine what in the world Fight Night will be like on this system. Golf is really fun also and Tiger Woods will be really fun if they use this system.

I mentioned this once and PK made a comment, but I can really see kids and even adults losing some weight with this system. You really get into the sports games moving around quite a bit instead of sitting on our @sses playing the games the old way.

I really like the interface of the Wii + the way that you navigate with the Wiimote. I haven't downloaded any of the VC games yet, but will be later on tonight. I was able to configure to my LAN with no issues using the WiFi capabilities that the system has.

I also want to try BC with Cube titles a bit later also. The system is very small, probably the size of 3 stacked DVD cases. It has a small power supply like the Gamecube did. The system doesn't run hot at all and is so darn quiet.

I'll be back a bit later on tonight with more impressions. I'm going out tonight so they will be late impressions.

Nintendo has ushered a new era in gaming.............it's not about the graphics with the Wii.............it's all about the gameplay. If you can get one now, run out and buy one. If your ExtremeGamer, beg your wife to open this sucker up today as an early XMAS present. DXZeke, I bet you played before I did, but our doubts about the controller are gone. Fresh, I hope that you can find a system soon man.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:56 PM   #13
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Candyman, you're selling me on this one more and more bro. Keep the impressions coming, it sounds great! Are you actually standing up and playing?
Old 11-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by candyman56
Nintendo has ushered a new era in gaming
Old 11-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #15
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Candyman, you're selling me on this one more and more bro. Keep the impressions coming, it sounds great! Are you actually standing up and playing?
Yes, I see the Wii like the Guitar Hero experience. To get the full experience, standing up and also moving makes you feel like your actually in the game. Like with Wii baseball, I actually, as funny as this sounds, use my signature stance when batting. LOL! If you have played Guitar Hero and really get into the game acting like your actually part of the band, this is what the Wii does.................it sucks you in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster
ROD........................the WWWWWWWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII is calling your name my friend.

Let's put it this way, I missed the 1st quarter of the Bears game as I forgot it was even on I was so engrossed into Wii Sports.

My only complaint, is that Nintendo should have also packed in an extra Wiimote + Nanchuck. This would have really promoted the fact about the multplayer experience. Oh well. I had a 10% coupon for Best Buy so I got the accessories + Zelda at a discount.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #16
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Were you getting tired at all after an hour and a half of playing?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »