Home

Is MS shooting themselves in the foot?

This is a discussion on Is MS shooting themselves in the foot? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 AM   #1
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10
Is MS shooting themselves in the foot?

So this morning I read this: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/top/and...out-226691.php. This is the third "major" blogger site to have a 360 recently brick on them.

Then I read this: http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/gizmodo...ive-226813.php. Suddenly it all made sense. We are talking about Bill Gates and MS. This is the same company that has a history of selling beta testing retail products.

Here's a quote from the bloggers lunch with Gates:""That's a very big deal," he said. "If you go into Microsoft and say what's the thing that when Ballmer shows up, Bill shows up, Ray shows up they just try to hammer into your head. It's Live, Live, Live," he said. "We have to get Windows more Live enabled, office more Live enabled.""

Remember when everyone laughed at Ken Crazyguy from Sony for pressing that the PS3 is a PC? Well MS wants to make the Xbox more than a PC. This is Gates vision of (and I am not kidding here) home domination. MS wants to use the 360 and Live to control many of the electronic aspects of our lives. Notice how the 360 has taken a one year leap into downloadable movies and DVR service? In the span of one console generation the Xbox has gone from a gaming machine to a multi-purpose entertainment machine.

Okay so...here's the history lesson: remember Windows ME? If you had it you remember it. ME was pretty bad. The tech community hated it and consumers were frustrated by it. MS cannot have the 360 going down the path of ME. If more consoles begin to brick within a year the backlash could be awful. We are starting to see it happen. I know quite a few people on their third machine. Gamers will put up with it, but will regular consumers? What happens if MSNBC or another major source picks up on this story? Damage control anyone?

What's dangerous for MS is the competition is smart. This isn't NT vs Netware. The Wii is being marketed in a brilliant way. It has a great message, press and most importantly word of mouth. Sony seems to be doing a reversal going into a different spin away from Ken Crazyman. MS cannot afford to go down a poor quality path right now. Yes Halo 3 will sell, but it is not going to be alone.

Software wise the 360 has everything going for it. Live is the best online gaming platform out there. If MS plays its cards right it can also lead the charge for digital distribution. The Xbox has the potential to beome the name in home entertainment as it grows. However, if the hardware game keeps going the way it is the company is going to shoot itself in the foot. The quality must improve and if MS is smart they will offer the new chips in every repair issue. Sure it will cost them more in the short-term, but in the long-run they can make out like bandits.

Let's hope for the best.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:31 AM   #2
MVP

jpup's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: Is MS shooting themselves in the foot?

nobody watches MSNBC.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Rookie

J3Omal's Arena

OVR: 3

How much is it to have your 360 "serviced"?
Old 01-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpup
nobody watches MSNBC.

I was thinking the same thing and then I scrolled down and saw your post. Great line.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

i got mine serviced for free...it took like 7 business days...wasn't a big deal...

ish breaks, hell, I had 4 sega genesises, and that was without replacement plans and warranties, I BOUGHT 4 of them because 3 broke...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
Older

luv_mist's Arena

OVR: 33

You know what will boost the love for M$?? Great customer support. They seem to be extending and bending over backwards for their consumer to make them happy. Honestly, if that doesn't win over a consumer, then I don't know what will. I like them so much more. Everything is falling into place for them. I'm kind of nervous about them spreading themselves thin across the media format. However, if they don't do it now, it's only a matter of time before another company takes the same mindset and does it.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #7
All Star

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
You know what will boost the love for M$?? Great customer support. They seem to be extending and bending over backwards for their consumer to make them happy.
Hogwash. Great customer support starts with designing and manufacturing a product that will last right out of the box. MS has failed miserably at this with the 360.

Take care,
PK
Old 01-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

We will see if MS has learned its lessons. They took a huge spanking with ME, but came back and actually "won" the networking war.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »