Home

Is it repetitive to own a Wii AND a DS?

This is a discussion on Is it repetitive to own a Wii AND a DS? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Is it repetitive to own a Wii AND a DS?

All I own right now is a Ps2, but I want to play those old Nintendo games - Mario, Zelda, etc...but Nintendo has done a good job of splitting up the games I'm interested in between the Wii and the DS, kinda nudging the consumer to buy both.

For instance, I want to play the sidescrolling Zelda and Castlevania, which only seem to be on DS, but at the same time I also want to play Mario Galaxy and the new Smash Bros when those games come out...and VC games like Pucnhout (and hopefully Baseball Stars).

I know for sure I will buy the Wii this Summer (If I can find one), but do you guys think it is overkill to also get the DS? I really don't need a portable player...most places I go I am busy and its not like I have time to whip out a game and play, except when I am at home. Although knowing the DS will allow web browsing in June is intriguing...

Thoughts?

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
D*d y** g*t th* m*m*?

caseyd's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Is it repetitive to own a Wii AND a DS?

Well, we have a DS and a Wii, but that's because my daughter likes to take the DS with her. She likes being able to play with her friends in wi-fi mode. The DS is fun, but if you're not going to use it as a handheld much, I think the Wii is more than sufficient. It seems like they're making a Wii version of most of the games since the Wii remote can do pretty much what the stylus can, most of the time. If you're definitely getting the Wii, and don't care about the portability, I'd save the money for cool games that will be coming to the Wii ala Smash Brothers Brawl, Guitar Hero 3, Mario Galaxy, etc.
Animal Crossing Town: Danville
Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 AM   #3
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Thanks for the advice. When I go to my girl's house I can see myself playing it there if she is really into something on TV, but that's it. I hope you're right about those games coming to the Wii.

I just found out today that the DS can play music and movies but they haven't released the devices to make the DS use those functions in the US, only in Japan. That's makes it intruiging as well, if those services for the DS ever come to the States.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Old 04-24-2007, 05:40 AM   #4
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21

The DS is quite a nice little handheld. The Stylus really makes it something special. I recently got a PSP a month ago. I'm actually liking it more than the DS. Why? The bigger screen and it's got a lot more puzzle games on it.

As for the Wii.
The average household is really liking the system. Kids and parents that don't play games as much. It's enteractive and parents don't view it as just sitting in front of the "idiot box." Personally I like the Idiot Box. It gives me great games to play... not so much though for quality TV since network TV pretty much sucks right now.

The Wii though. If you can get past the Current Gen graphics, you'll end up being happy with it, but if you like tasty yummy graphics, that's a whole different story.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 4

I owned a 360 in the past and didn't enjoy the games as much as I thought.

The Wii has brought back gaming fun to me. If you get the component cables and you have a HD set like me than the graphics are not horrible at all. I was playing a gamecube game (Metroid Prime) on my Wii the other night and it looked amazing with the progressive scan. Nintendos games all look really really good. Its the third party games that can look more and more like ps2 games. Example: Madden Wii. But and I say BUT!!!!!!............Madden Wii is the best sports game that I have ever played. Gameplay wise its top notch and its very very fun after you hunker down with the new controls AFTER a week of play. Its difficult to get used to. But very rewarding in the end.

I owned a DS as well. Really enjoyed it. But once I picked up my Wii I haven't picked it up since.

I would just go with the Wii.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 15

I guess the better question is. Is it repetitive to have a PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP and DS Lite?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Extra Life 11/3/18

ExtremeGamer's Arena

OVR: 70

You can get a Wii and a DS for cheaper than a 360, pretty much a no brainer to get them both if you will play a hand held. I have 2 DS', one for me, and one for my wife, which she takes everywhere. 10 mins to kill at the doctor's waiting, she plays her DS. Been a great little gift for her.

Mixer Stream

XBox - ExtremeGamer
PSN - ExtremeGamer
Switch - 4640-8613-7710

Old 04-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodster
I guess the better question is. Is it repetitive to have a PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP and DS Lite?
LOL, I'm close to being in the same situation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »