Home

Buying a PS3

This is a discussion on Buying a PS3 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2007, 09:58 PM   #25
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: Buying a PS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
The reported problems with people being on their 5th 360 just shows how good it really is. I would never buy the same toaster, or even the 1st xbox 5 times. The 360 is a great console with great games right now. That may change, or it might not.
People aren't re-buying the system. People (including me) are making use of the warranty on this system.

Last edited by Gary Armida; 05-10-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre4vr
People are re-buying the system. People (including me) are making use of the warranty on this system.
I'm assuming you meant "people aren't re-buying the system"...

I'm sure they're not.

However, from the previous poster, I do something odd in saying the fact that people are on their 5th console shows how good the console is. I just can't see the logic in that.

Again, for me... the fact that I play only a baseball game title, NCAA and Madden means that the fact that 360 has more games means absolutely nothing to me. I'm dead serious when I say, those are the only three games I play at all, period.
And the fact that one of those games, MLB '07 The Show, is exclusively on the Sony platform really persuades me to buy the PS3. I doubt very seriously when we get down to it will the 360 and the PS3 differ that much in the three titles I mentioned.
For me, the PS3 was just the choice I felt was right for me.

Now for someone else who needs all those games that are out there (and I don't even know anything about them), then maybe the 360 is the better choice. The Gamestop salesman was really pushing me to buy the 360. He continued to stress how many more games there were... but like I continued to stress, that doesn't matter to me. It's not a selling point to me when I won't buy or play those games anyways.
I think the PS3 has every bit of the gaming power that the 360 has... as I think the 360 has every bit of gaming power that the PS3 has. I think in the end, it's a matter of what you want. And reliability should be factored into the equation as well.
I hope I made the right decision, because I sure as hell am not going to spend another $500 or $600 on another game console. That price is ridiculous as is!

If you are aware of my original situation... the guy from craigslist called me this evening wondering if I was going to buy his "brand new" PS3 from him for $450. I told him, I just couldn't spend that much money (even though it was about $300 cheaper than what I ended up spending) to buy something without a store reciept and extended warranty. I just couldn't make that kind of invenstment without some sort of "feel like I was protected" coverage.
I feel good about what I did today, other than I did spend over $700 including my gift card. Damn that's a kick in the sack!
Old 05-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #27
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankyTime

I'm sure they're not.

However, from the previous poster, I do something odd in saying the fact that people are on their 5th console shows how good the console is. I just can't see the logic in that.

Again, for me... the fact that I play only a baseball game title, NCAA and Madden means that the fact that 360 has more games means absolutely nothing to me. I'm dead serious when I say, those are the only three games I play at all, period.
And the fact that one of those games, MLB '07 The Show, is exclusively on the Sony platform really persuades me to buy the PS3. I doubt very seriously when we get down to it will the 360 and the PS3 differ that much in the three titles I mentioned.

Now for someone else who needs all those games that are out there (and I don't even know anything about them), then maybe the 360 is the better choice. The Gamestop salesman was really pushing me to buy the 360. He continued to stress how many more games there were... but like I continued to stress, that doesn't matter to me. It's not a selling point to me when I won't buy or play those games anyways.
I think the PS3 has every bit of the gaming power that the 360 has... as I think the 360 has every bit of gaming power that the PS3 has. I think in the end, it's a matter of what you want. And reliability should be factored into the equation as well.
I hope I made the right decision, because I sure as hell am not going to spend another $500 or $600 on another game console. That price is ridiculous as is!

If you are aware of my original situation... the guy from craigslist called me this evening wondering if I was going to buy his "brand new" PS3 from him for $450. I told him, I just couldn't spend that much money (even though it was about $300 cheaper than what I ended up spending) to buy something without a store reciept and extended warranty. I just couldn't make that kind of invenstment without some sort of "feel like I was protected" coverage.
I feel good about what I did today, other than I did spend over $700 including my gift card. Damn that's a kick in the sack!
The PS3 is going to be a great console in time, the reason why I see in time because there really aren't that many "buy me games" out there. I'm waiting the Show myself right now and only the Show. Then like you said, NCAA/Madden and some other good games with follow, plus you got a Blu-ray player too, so in the end you should be happy.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 05-10-2007, 11:42 PM   #28
MVP

Gary Armida's Arena

OVR: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankyTime

I'm sure they're not.

DOH! I fixed that...I definitely meant "aren't. I love the PS3. It actually gets more play for me than the 360 right now. Once the Show drops, I'll probably be online only with the 360 for a bit. I like both machines; both have their issues, but, like I said, I enjoy them for what they are.

You should feel good today about your purchase...well, except for that kick in the sack feeling. Have fun.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:11 PM   #29
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

how much did u get for ur 360?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 PM   #30
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre4vr
DOH! I fixed that...I definitely meant "aren't. I love the PS3. It actually gets more play for me than the 360 right now. Once the Show drops, I'll probably be online only with the 360 for a bit. I like both machines; both have their issues, but, like I said, I enjoy them for what they are.

You should feel good today about your purchase...well, except for that kick in the sack feeling. Have fun.
Congrats on the mod role.

I agree, that both systems bring their own uniqueness to the table. Right now my 360 gets the most playtime. I'm not too sure when the last time I even played a game on the PS3, its been mostly used as a BD player. Once the PS3 starts getting games, it will be a nice system and very future proof.

All that will change this week with The Show releasing.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #31
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
I was interested in the ps3 before I got my 360. I went with the 360 because the ps3 is nothing right now, and by the time it gets better games, it'll probably even have had a price drop. The price doesn't get me, but it's the fact that there's no real reason to rush out and get a ps3 now for $600 unless you just want to have one. The games aren't there yet, and I honestly believe it will only be the xbox of this generation.

Yes the ps3 is the overall "better" console, but the 360 has more consoles sold and a more established online service, so it will get the majority of 3rd party support. The reported problems with people being on their 5th 360 just shows how good it really is. I would never buy the same toaster, or even the 1st xbox 5 times. The 360 is a great console with great games right now. That may change, or it might not.
LOL...the 360 has more consoles sold because it's been out a year longer..
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2007, 11:57 PM   #32
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballForever
LOL...the 360 has more consoles sold because it's been out a year longer..
But he does have a point, about a better current game library, and a much more established and feature rich online service.

If I had to choose one right now, it would be the 360 hands down based on those two factors. Luckily I don't have to choose one.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »