Home

Buying a PS3

This is a discussion on Buying a PS3 within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Buying a PS3

I could use some advice here...

I am planning on buying a PS3 for my only gaming console. I went on craigslist today and found a brand new PS3 never out of the box for $450.
I've never bought anything in my life off of ebay or craigslist. I'm usually the buy it new kind of guy. This is supposedly new, but do I have anythign to worry about buying a PS3 without a reciept coming with it?
I was thinking, what if something happened to the PS3, it was defected, or didn't work, or broke... would the fact I bought it from some guy that I don't know, without a reciept mean anything bad to me?
I doubt very seriously I get any kid of warranty if I buy a PS3 from gamestop or best buy do I?
Is this worth saving the $200 (after tax) to do this?
For some reason I'm skeptical, but maybe I'm a worry wart.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Buying a PS3

You should buy from a retailer because if anything happens to your PS3 you will have problems getting Sony to repair it for you. I don't think they'll honor the warranty if you bought it from ebay or on craigslist.

Last edited by Rodster; 05-09-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #3
Pro

[Icy]'s Arena

OVR: 8

At least in Europe (don't know about USA laws), no receipt = no warranty so for an expensive toy like the PS3, i would pay the extra for a brand new one instead of buying a second hand PS3. But have on mind also that we have 2 years full warranty in Spain for any electric device, i think you have less in USA.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Banned

thelwig14's Arena

OVR: 16

I am debating craigslist as well. There is a 60 gb for $400 and the receipt is included, but I just can't decide on pulling the trigger. Since there really are no exclusives, I can't decide if the bluray is worth it.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankyTime

I am planning on buying a PS3 for my only gaming console. I went on craigslist today and found a brand new PS3 never out of the box for $450.
I've never bought anything in my life off of ebay or craigslist. I'm usually the buy it new kind of guy. This is supposedly new, but do I have anythign to worry about buying a PS3 without a reciept coming with it?
I was thinking, what if something happened to the PS3, it was defected, or didn't work, or broke... would the fact I bought it from some guy that I don't know, without a reciept mean anything bad to me?
I doubt very seriously I get any kid of warranty if I buy a PS3 from gamestop or best buy do I?
Honestly, I always buy an Extended Service Agreement from Gamespot/EB when I buy a system. Especially from Sony. I'm on my 3rd or 4th PS2 since 2001, and each time, the ESA agreement saved my bacon. (You can also get them from CompUSA and BestBuy too..) I usually choose Gamespot/EB though because those guys know me.

But if your system ever acts squirrely, you can return it and swap it out during the length of the ESA, getting you a whole new system- and often giving you the latest hardware rev. (Something that became important in 2004 when games like NCAA 05 and others weren't liking the older rev of XBOX DVD drives.. and similar things happened on older PS2 hardware too.)

So it tends to be a safety net that usually pays for itself rather quickly.

Just my opinion though. They now let you renew ESA agreements annually too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
Honestly, I always buy an Extended Service Agreement from Gamespot/EB when I buy a system. Especially from Sony. I'm on my 3rd or 4th PS2 since 2001, and each time, the ESA agreement saved my bacon. (You can also get them from CompUSA and BestBuy too..) I usually choose Gamespot/EB though because those guys know me.

But if your system ever acts squirrely, you can return it and swap it out during the length of the ESA, getting you a whole new system- and often giving you the latest hardware rev. (Something that became important in 2004 when games like NCAA 05 and others weren't liking the older rev of XBOX DVD drives.. and similar things happened on older PS2 hardware too.)

So it tends to be a safety net that usually pays for itself rather quickly.

Just my opinion though. They now let you renew ESA agreements annually too.
How much is the ESA with gamestop for the PS3? What is the coverage? For how long?

Man, this could end up being a near $800 investment.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
Aka."Footballforever"

RoyalBoyle78's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:

just make sure you get the origanal receipt, then your will be still coverd with sony.
N.Y Islanders
Miami Hurricanes

Twitter - @RoyalBoyle78
XBOX LIVE - Royalboyle78
PSN - RoyalBoyle78
Old 05-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Man, this could end up being a near $800 investment.
It will easily be more than an $800 investment, especially over time. If I calculated how much I spent on a PS2 over the course of its life I'm certain the expenses would be well over $2000.

As a result of not buying a next gen platform, I've certainly saved a lot of money; but that's common sense.

As for warranty cost... I'm not sure. I'd recommend getting one, as if it breaks and you don't have one, it will be even more of an investment than it was initially.

I'd recommend buying a new console from an established retailer. Buying online might save you some money, but even if the owner has a receipt, they still might have tinkered with the system or done something that ultimately voids the warranty anyway. If you are going to commit to investing $800-1000 into a new console, I'd recommend doing it intelligently and safely. A receipt means very little if the hardware has been tinkered with, and the warranty ultimately voided by the initial owner.

Last edited by Jimplication; 05-10-2007 at 11:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »