Home

Any issues with older PS2s and component?

This is a discussion on Any issues with older PS2s and component? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Any issues with older PS2s and component?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyd
My TV is only a rear Projection with HD capability, not LCD or plasma. Our Wii, using component, is fine. I'm going to pick up one of the less expensive component cables and see what happens. That would really suck if I can't use component with the PS2 on the big TV. At that point, I might as well hook it up to my older Sony tube TV in the other room.
sounds like a bad cable, my ps2 works just fine with component on my newer tv

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
MVP

koebner's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Would it still see the cable as component if I set it that way? Isn't the Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr just composite (yellow, red, white)?

Kev, thanks. I'm getting the scramble before I even put a game in.
No,it refers to the 3 separate paths of video information carried by the cables.Match up the red blue green cables correctly.
It is a known bug with PS2 that RGB output is messed up.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
ddeweil

OVR:

Not sure if this is the same case, but my monster cable sometimes has a loose connection where it connects to the PS2, and I get wierd flashes. Once I make sure it is connected, the picture returns to normal. This may or may not be the same case with you, though.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
D*d y** g*t th* m*m*?

caseyd's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by koebner
No,it refers to the 3 separate paths of video information carried by the cables.Match up the red blue green cables correctly.
It is a known bug with PS2 that RGB output is messed up.
Thanks! I was wondering because last night I plugged in a cable that I got at Walmart (actually works for the Wii, PS3, 360, and PS2) and although I couldn't set it as RGB on the PS2, because it would turn pinkish, when I just had the cable plugged in and Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr chosen, the picture was noticably better. I thought I was losing my mind. I thought that you had to choose RGB or you weren't actually getting component. The strange thing is that I plugged in my monster cable and chose Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr, and the picture was still messed up (it seemed to be missing red). I don't know if that cable is going bad or not. The Walmart cable works though because now I can just choose between the PS2 and Wii with the cable. Solves my other need of having too few component connections on my tv.
Animal Crossing Town: Danville
Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
MVP

koebner's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Thanks! I was wondering because last night I plugged in a cable that I got at Walmart (actually works for the Wii, PS3, 360, and PS2) and although I couldn't set it as RGB on the PS2, because it would turn pinkish, when I just had the cable plugged in and Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr chosen, the picture was noticably better. I thought I was losing my mind. I thought that you had to choose RGB or you weren't actually getting component. The strange thing is that I plugged in my monster cable and chose Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr, and the picture was still messed up (it seemed to be missing red). I don't know if that cable is going bad or not. The Walmart cable works though because now I can just choose between the PS2 and Wii with the cable. Solves my other need of having too few component connections on my tv.
You probably had one of the wires crossed.Cables don't really "go bad" unless the connections inside have come aprt from shock or abuse.
On the Monsters you can unscrew the plug and look to see if the connection is bad in each cable.The first set of Monsters for PS2 I got were DOA because of this.I was crushed because I got them for 7 bucks at EB.A few weeks later I saw another set for that price and they work great.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:42 AM   #14
D*d y** g*t th* m*m*?

caseyd's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by koebner
You probably had one of the wires crossed.Cables don't really "go bad" unless the connections inside have come aprt from shock or abuse.
On the Monsters you can unscrew the plug and look to see if the connection is bad in each cable.The first set of Monsters for PS2 I got were DOA because of this.I was crushed because I got them for 7 bucks at EB.A few weeks later I saw another set for that price and they work great.
Bingo! I had no idea you could unscrew those ends. The red cable has a wire that isn't attached anymore. I'm going to soulder it back in hopefully. Thanks for the info everyone.
Animal Crossing Town: Danville

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »