Home

Is it time the 360/PS3/Wii became Current Gen and the PS2/Xbox become Old Gen?

This is a discussion on Is it time the 360/PS3/Wii became Current Gen and the PS2/Xbox become Old Gen? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What should the Current Gen refer to?
Xbox, PS2, Gamecube 8 15.09%
360, PS3, Wii 45 84.91%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 62
Is it time the 360/PS3/Wii became Current Gen and the PS2/Xbox become Old Gen?

What do you think? I for one am sick of seeing the PS360 generation still called Next Gen when it is the current generation. Am I a lone wolf here, or is it time for the change?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
MVP

TheGamingChef's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Is it time the 360/PS3/Wii became Current Gen and the PS2/Xbox become Old Gen?

Why isn't there a "It Doesn't Matter" option?
Old 06-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #3
All Star

JohnnytheSkin's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Is it time the 360/PS3/Wii became Current Gen and the PS2/Xbox become Old Gen?

The new systems are current gen, but I think for all intents and purposes the phrase is now moot until Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called) gets announced in the next year or two, for "true" next gen gaming!

Oh, sorry...I got distracted by the internet. - Scott Pilgrim
Old 06-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
What do you think? I for one am sick of seeing the PS360 generation still called Next Gen when it is the current generation. Am I a lone wolf here, or is it time for the change?
Until NCAA Football exceeds the PS2 version on the 360 or PS3, the PS2 will still be called the current gen in my house.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #5
Timbers - Jags - Hokies

The GIGGAS's Arena

OVR: 55

Yes yes yes and quadruple yes.

Member: OS Uni Snob Assoc.
OS OT Post Champ '11

Twitter: @TheGIGGAS_OS
Xbox Live: TheGIGGAS
3DS: 1349-7755-3870
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Until NCAA Football exceeds the PS2 version on the 360 or PS3, the PS2 will still be called the current gen in my house.
Same here. This site is hardcore but the masses are still playing the PS2 the most. I say let the NCAA and Madden sales this year determine it. If NCAA on the PS2 still outsells its 360 counterpart, the PS2 is still current gen for one more year. We can use Madden for the same test and since Madden is the number one selling sports franchise it would probably make the most sense to use that game as the litmus test. If the 360/PS3 is truly current gen it should prove it by selling more copies.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

TJdaSportsGuy's Arena

OVR: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNole
YES!!!!! I am SO glad someone brought this up. I've been saying it for months. NextGen is referring to systems we've never even heard of yet. Current gen is PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii. Last gen is the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:37 AM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
YES!!!!! I am SO glad someone brought this up. I've been saying it for months. NextGen is referring to systems we've never even heard of yet. Current gen is PS3, Xbox 360, and the Wii. Last gen is the Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube. Why is that so hard for people to understand?
Its hard for me to understand why someone thinks the systems being used in the minority should be called current gen. Its not a big deal anyway. While it may be true for the posters on OS, the vast majority of gamers haven't made the leap yet. For me, current gen describes what the majority of gamers are playing and that isn't on the 360/PS3 yet. Like I said, when Madden sells more copies on the 360 than on the PS2, I will call the 360/PS3 current gen but not before then.

Edit: I should ask, did you consider the 360/PS3 to be current gen as soon as they were released? If not, how do you define current gen then? Would you not agree that it needs to be tied into what the majority of people are actually using and buying?

Last edited by rudyjuly2; 06-21-2007 at 09:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »