Home

Thinking of getting a PSP, is it worth it?

This is a discussion on Thinking of getting a PSP, is it worth it? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM   #57
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Thinking of getting a PSP, is it worth it?

PSP Becomes Slimmer and Lighter
Sony unveils enhanced design for its popular handheld

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today unveiled an enhanced design for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system (PSP-2000) that has a more streamlined form factor and a video-out port which will become available in stores from September in Japan, North America and Europe.

While succeeding the basic functions and design philosophy of the current PSP including a 4.3 inch wide high resolution LCD screen, overwhelmingly large for a handheld device, new PSP is 33 percent lighter and 19 percent slimmer than the original version, making the all-in-one handheld entertainment system even easier to carry around at approx.189g in weight (weight of current model is approx.280g) and approx.18.6mm in thickness (thickness of current model is approx.23.0 mm).

Adding a video-out port(*1) enables new PSP users to experience high quality UMD(TM) (Universal Media Disc) Video, pictures and movies from Memory Stick Duo and game software titles(*2) on their TVs at home. Also, new PSP is equipped with enhanced feature to temporarily store game data from UMD, reducing load time during game play(*3). Moreover, the ability to charge the unit through PLAYSTATION3 or PC via USB cable during data transfer is newly equipped(*4), further positioning PSP as a true handheld device.

A new PSP comes in three basic colors of "Piano Black", "Ceramic White", and "Ice Silver" to meet a variety of lifestyle and preferences for all ages(*5).

During the two and a half years since the launch of PSP in December, 2004 strong support from users worldwide as well as an abundance of exciting software titles from publishers around the world have resulted in PSP achieving cumulative shipment of 25 million units for the hardware and 100 million units for software titles worldwide by March, 2007. The expansion of the PSP platform is being boosted worldwide along with its exciting lineup of software titles as well as the introduction of color variations.

SCEI will continue to further expand the PSP platform and create a new world of computer entertainment with innovative and exciting new titles and a new PSP.

(*1) Video output cables (AV cable/S VIDEO cable/D Terminal AV
cable/Component AV cable) are sold separately. Product lineup may differ by country/region.
(*2) Progressive TV and PSP specific cable (D Terminal AV cable or
Component AV cable) are necessary to output game software titles for
PSP.
(*3) Effect of this feature varies depending on software titles.
(*4) PSP needs to be put in "USB Connection" mode.
(*5) Color variations may differ by country/region.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 PM   #58
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11

Video out is a big improvement. Hopefully I can get some decent trade in value on my "fat" PSP, as this will breathe new life into the UMDs that I have. I wonder what the video quality will be like on the big screen?

Very cool that this now becomes an easily portable video / photo player for your TV. Equipping this one with a 4 GB memory stick will make it an incredibly powerful and useful device. I assume that you can also play PSP games on the big screen with the video out?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #59
Banned

OVR: 15

I would like to see a picture and layout of the new PSP slim. I'll probably keep my old one as I like the size and weight of it. A ceramic white PSP sounds very tempting.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM   #60
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
Video out is a big improvement. Hopefully I can get some decent trade in value on my "fat" PSP, as this will breathe new life into the UMDs that I have. I wonder what the video quality will be like on the big screen?

Very cool that this now becomes an easily portable video / photo player for your TV. Equipping this one with a 4 GB memory stick will make it an incredibly powerful and useful device. I assume that you can also play PSP games on the big screen with the video out?
Yes, the video out will allow for PSP games to be played on your TV screen. As soon as this releases, I'm going to be using my PRP from Best Buy to get the new one. I really want the Ceramic White PSP...........less fingerprints.
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM   #61
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Here are some pics that I found on T3.co.uk

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 07-11-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #62
MVP

Dondadda's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by candymanGT
Yes, the video out will allow for PSP games to be played on your TV screen. As soon as this releases, I'm going to be using my PRP from Best Buy to get the new one. I really want the Ceramic White PSP...........less fingerprints.

Good call on the fingerprints and smudges - I'll probably do the same.

Considering I got a steal in getting a used PSP on ebay, I actually might not lose too much in terms of value. I could care less about the slimming down - the video out is the true big development, and of course the battery enhancement.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #63
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondadda
Good call on the fingerprints and smudges - I'll probably do the same.

Considering I got a steal in getting a used PSP on ebay, I actually might not lose too much in terms of value. I could care less about the slimming down - the video out is the true big development, and of course the battery enhancement.

Thanks for the pics.
I like the video output and the new extended battery life........ + the best of all, there is going to be faster UMD loading with the new UMD drive.

I'm going with Ceramic White this time, I really like what I have seen pics wise with that color and Pared put the ceramic white on his PSP which looked very cool.

Last edited by CaptainZombie; 07-12-2007 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:59 AM   #64
RIP Brodie!!!

CaptainZombie's Arena

PSP Slim Video, that UMD slot/door..not sure if i like that.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »