Home

Having a HUGE dilema

This is a discussion on Having a HUGE dilema within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
MVP

Flyermania's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Having a HUGE dilema

For those of you that have gone from the 360 to the PS3, do you notice any drop in graphic quality? Or frame rate issues?

I am a huge hockey fan and am planning on picking up a console before NHL 08 and NHL 2k8 come out. I had a 360 last fall, but got the RROD twice in the first 30 days and returned it to Best Buy for a full refund. Despite the new warranty, I am still a bit skeptical on the 360 based on the problems that are still out there and also the inconvenience that favre4vr referred to.

Most of my playing will be off-line, and since I am mainly into sports games I don't need to worry too much as they will be available for both systems. I've read about the framerate differences in this year's football titles, and hope that it won't be an issue with the hockey titles --- this is a concern I have with the PS3.

Has anyone played NBA 2k7 on the 360 as well as the PS3? I played the 360 version the other day at Best Buy and was blown away by the game. Is it just as good (and smooth) on the PS3?

Thanks in advance for any comments and feedback.

Last edited by Flyermania; 07-20-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Hall Of Fame

SoMiss2000's Arena

OVR: 32

The smart thing to do is not trading one console for another. If you can afford it, just buy them all. Just got a Wii to add to my 360 and i'm sure a PS3 will be bought later on.

Currently Listening: The D.O.C.: No One Can Do It Better (evidence that rap music used to be good!)
Old 07-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

I'm in the same boat. I like the PS2 and have never had it fail in the 5 or 6 years I had it. But I am having a hard time convincing myself to get the PS3, but on the other hand the Xbox sounds like a piece of garbage with all the ring of death talk. Money is not an issue in the decision. Time is more important. I don't want a system in the PS3 that is going to be running at less fps and has less games to enjoy. But I don't want to buy a system that is going to break every three weeks and waste all that time dealing with warranties, returns/exchanges.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by favre4vr
I'll offer the different side...I had my 360 die 5 times and finally got my money back (Best Buy!!!). I love my PS3. Sure, online is lacking, but for the amount of time I put into online, it's fine. I love the Show and all the other sports games are on it. The blueray, the reliability, quietness, and the available sports games are what puts the PS3 over the top for me. I would've kept both, but...let's just say I got sick of going to Best Buy every couple of months.
I'm in a similar situation. I bought my 360 before the PS3 came out. I enjoyed it and never even considered the PS3 until my 360 broke down 2 weeks ago. People keep saying the 360 has a much better library and I never gave it a 2nd thought but all I play is sports games and racing games that are based on racing leagues like NASCAR or F1. I realized that for someone like me the available games argument is actually in favor of the PS3 since there is The Show and F1 which are PS3 exclusives. All the 360 has is MotoGP in terms of exclusives that appeal to me and if I have to choose between MotoGP and F1 it'll be F1 every time. That, along with reliability, convinced me to switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
For those of you that have gone from the 360 to the PS3, do you notice any drop in graphic quality? Or frame rate issues?
There are a bit more jaggies on PS3. I think it's an anti-aliasing issue but it's not a huge issue. The games generally look the same, just a bit cleaner on 360.

As far as framerate issues, College Hoops 2K7 has framerate issues that are annoying but I remember CH2K6 on 360 also had issues, though they were less prevalent. I played both NCAA 08 and APF2K8 which are running at 30FPS as opposed to 60 on 360. While I don't doubt for a second that they are smoother on 360 I wouldn't even call the 30FPS on PS3 a framerate "issue" as both games run smoothly on PS3 so IMO the whole thing was blown out of proportion. There is more to smoothness-choppiness than just the framerate. You also have to keep in mind that devs have been working with the 360 longer than the PS3 so the growing pains that hamper framerates now should get sorted out with time. I do not however believe the PS3 graphics will ever surpass the 360's.

Last edited by mercalnd; 07-20-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
I'm in the same boat. I like the PS2 and have never had it fail in the 5 or 6 years I had it. But I am having a hard time convincing myself to get the PS3, but on the other hand the Xbox sounds like a piece of garbage with all the ring of death talk. Money is not an issue in the decision. Time is more important. I don't want a system in the PS3 that is going to be running at less fps and has less games to enjoy. But I don't want to buy a system that is going to break every three weeks and waste all that time dealing with warranties, returns/exchanges.
Your solution is simple, lol. You already qualified the 360 as the obvious choice. You say money is no option. If that's the case go to Best Buy, pickup an Elite or Premium and buy a 2yr extended warranty. By the time your 360 craps out the Falcon 360's should be on store shelves which will make the RROD issues a thing of the past.

memo: It's not like the 360 craps out in a few weeks, lol. Mine lasted 20 months and I got a new exchange at my local EB.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:06 PM   #14
All Star

Gibbz's Arena

OVR: 24

I'd take the PS3, but you should probably wait until some better games come out just to see if you'll enjoy it more.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #15
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Fow those of you that have gone from the 360 to the PS3, do you notice any drop in graphic quality? Or frame rate issues?

I am a huge hockey fan and am planning on picking up a console before NHL 08 and NHL 2k8 come out. I had a 360 last fall, but got the RROD twice in the first 30 days and returned it to Best Buy for a full refund. Despite the new warranty, I am still a bit skeptical on the 360 based on the problems that are still out there and also the inconvenience that favre4vr referred to.

Most of my playing will be off-line, and since I am mainly into sports games I don't need to worry too much as they will be available for both systems. I've read about the framerate differences in this year's football titles, and hope that it won't be an issue with the hockey titles --- this is a concern I have with the PS3.

Has anyone played NBA 2k7 on the 360 as well as the PS3? I played the 360 version the other day at Best Buy and was blown away by the game. Is it just as good (and smooth) on the PS3?

Thanks in advance for any comments and feedback.
I played NBA 2k7 on both systems and it does look a little better on 360. A little brighter, clearer. It was immediately noticable, but not a big deal.

MLB 2k7 on the other hand, the PS3 version looks terrible, almost last gen. The 360 version looks incredible. I always rent the game I want for both systems (game pass) before deciding which system to buy the game for.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectralfan
I'm in a similar situation. I bought my 360 before the PS3 came out. I enjoyed it and never even considered the PS3 until my 360 broke down 2 weeks ago. People keep saying the 360 has a much better library and I never gave it a 2nd thought but all I play is sports games and racing games that are based on racing leagues like NASCAR or F1. I realized that for someone like me the available games argument is actually in favor of the PS3 since there is The Show and F1 which are PS3 exclusives. All the 360 has is MotoGP in terms of exclusives that appeal to me and if I have to choose between MotoGP and F1 it'll be F1 every time. That, along with reliability, convinced me to switch.

There are a bit more jaggies on PS3. I think it's an anti-aliasing issue but it's not a huge issue. The games generally look the same, just a bit cleaner on 360.

As far as framerate issues, College Hoops 2K7 has framerate issues that are annoying but I remember CH2K6 on 360 also had issues, though they were less prevalent. I played both NCAA 08 and APF2K8 which are running at 30FPS as opposed to 60 on 360. While I don't doubt for a second that they are smoother on 360 I wouldn't even call the 30FPS on PS3 a framerate "issue" as both games run smoothly on PS3 so IMO the whole thing was blown out of proportion. There is more to smoothness-choppiness than just the framerate. You also have to keep in mind that devs have been working with the 360 longer than the PS3 so the growing pains that hamper framerates now should get sorted out with time. I do not however believe the PS3 graphics will ever surpass the 360's.
I agree w/ everything he said.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »