Home

Are You Satisfied With Next-Gen Gaming?

This is a discussion on Are You Satisfied With Next-Gen Gaming? within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #33
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Are You Satisfied With Next-Gen Gaming?

No.

I am a sports/racing/fighting gamer, and other than graphics and the fact that PS3 is fully b/c, I don't feel the love. Options galore on last-gen still efforts still overshadow next-gen.

I got my PS3 in July and spent a total of $654 (inlcuding tax) and this is what I got:

PS3 (with free xtra controller and 5 movies) $500 (had Circuit City $40 coupon that covered the tax)
Remote used $20
Component Cables $23
APF used $38
Madden new $5 (after trading in 3 PS2 games)
The Show used $48
Tekken DR $20 (hesitant to buy the online add-on)

Plus I bought a blockbuster game pass that I kept for 2 months - which cost an additional $40 (for 2 months) but was worth it b/c I also rented PS2 and DS games.

FNR2 > FNR3
2k5 = APF 2k8
Madden 08 PS2 = Madden 08 PS3
NCAA 08 PS2
Tekken 5 > Tekken Dark Resurrection (I am waiting for Tekken 6)
NBA St. V3/V2 > NBA St. Homecourt
Motorstorm got old quick. (I am waiting for GT5)
No Rumble
The only clear bright spot is The Show 07 on PS3 > Show 07 PS2 (but not greater by tons).

I kinda feel like I got the PS3 too early...maybe I should have waited until the 08 baseball games dropped, but there was the whole "no more backwards compatible" scare Sony put out and I had a coupon to negate the tax at Circuit City the week they dropped the price and they offered a free xtra controller and 5 movies.

Maybe I am just being too impatient and should just count my blessings. For $634 I got more than many people got.

I dunno, I'm just underwhelmed. I don't look forward to playing when I get off work the way I used to the previous 10 years.

I bought a Wii (scared to open it and be disappointed AGAIN) so maybe that will bring the "fun factor" back.

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

Last edited by inkcil; 09-17-2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 AM   #34
All Star

Tha_Kid's Arena

OVR: 30

It's been underwhelming in some areas but overall I'm satisfied because I see light down the tunnel. Games like Mass Effect, Alan Wake & GTA4 are looking to be epic Next Gen experiences. Also, just thinking about it, for everything that maybe I expected/hoped for, there have been things I hadn't even thought of and have been pleasantly surprised with. Games like Crackdown (no sequel? talk about dropping the ball) and Dead Rising exemplify games that wouldve been average on last gen but were unexpected hits because of what Next Gen brought to the table.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 0

wtf is wrong with these companies,i paid $400 and up for my 360 and all they do is release B.S!!!! i mean wheres the games that knock you socks off. **** gears of war i dont want to duck for cover and shot from behind a wall for three ****ing hours, oblivion.....for those of use who have lives this **** is a complete butt ****, ok whats left.............**** you sony,microsoft,2k,ubisoft,capcom,and the rest of you bastards who refuse to give a game worth playing,.....and EA i hope someone rapes your eye socket
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #36
ULTRAAAA!!!!

Cyros's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm satisfied with next-gen, especially since I haven't even wrapped my hands around a few titles I had my eyes on in the first place.

My Video Game Streams
Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 AM   #37
MVP

Spongedaddy's Arena

OVR: 10

I am in the middle of the road for this question. For sports games they really need to step it up with presentation and A.I. However, because the masses keep buying the games it is unlikely that we will see the changes that are needed.

This generation has managed to give me some incredible SP experiences like Bioshock, Gears of War, Dead Rising and upcoming games like Mass Effect, Halo 3, etc. have a lot of promise. However, those games raised the bar with graphics and presentation only. Bioshock and Gears were still shooters, fun games mind you, but did very little to advance the genre. Luckily the improvement in graphics helps creat a more amazing world which is important for those kinds of game. One thing that I think is going to suck for the rest of this gen is that games like Bioshock will be few and somewhat far between. We will see more average games and less stellar titles. The Wii will make that situation worse because it is much easier to invest half the money to make a casual game to sell to over 10 million. Of course, if third party companies cannot make a lot of money on the Wii they might go back to pimping the 360/PS3 games more.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »