Home

XBox 360 Networking Help

This is a discussion on XBox 360 Networking Help within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-01-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
XBox 360 Networking Help

I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a wireless adaptor so I can get on live, but I'm having some trouble. Here's the deal...

I have a Linksys Wireless Router. I have a PC plugged in wired. And I use my Wii and DS wirelessly. These all work fine. However, when I try to use my 360 wirelessly, it will only work when my PC is turned off. I know this is bc of some sort of IP conflict, I just dont know how to fix it. I'm quite sure I have my router set to automatically assign IP address, but it still seems to give the same to my PC and 360.

Any help on how to fix this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: XBox 360 Networking Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by malrak
I finally decided to take the plunge and buy a wireless adaptor so I can get on live, but I'm having some trouble. Here's the deal...

I have a Linksys Wireless Router. I have a PC plugged in wired. And I use my Wii and DS wirelessly. These all work fine. However, when I try to use my 360 wirelessly, it will only work when my PC is turned off. I know this is bc of some sort of IP conflict, I just dont know how to fix it. I'm quite sure I have my router set to automatically assign IP address, but it still seems to give the same to my PC and 360.

Any help on how to fix this would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Assign the MAC address to an IP a few numbers higher than your PC as a static IP. For example if your IP given to your PC is usually 192.168.1.3 then give your 360 192.168.1.8.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 09-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Assign the MAC address to an IP a few numbers higher than your PC as a static IP. For example if your IP given to your PC is usually 192.168.1.3 then give your 360 192.168.1.8.
no MAC address information is required, unless there is MAC security enabled on the router.

but the rest of what odogg was saying is correct; just assign an ip address to the 360 manually. give it an ip address, subnet mask, and gateway (which is your router). you might also want to put in the DNS server info manually as well while you are at it.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:25 PM   #4
All Star

Holic's Arena

OVR: 31

Not trying to hijack your thread malrak. But I've got a networking question. I recently got a 2nd Xbox 360 for my living room. In my bedroom I've got the official MS wireless adapter. Is there a cheaper solution to network it to my wireless router, or am I going to be throwing down another $80+ for an official MS wireless adapter?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:06 PM   #5
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holic
Not trying to hijack your thread malrak. But I've got a networking question. I recently got a 2nd Xbox 360 for my living room. In my bedroom I've got the official MS wireless adapter. Is there a cheaper solution to network it to my wireless router, or am I going to be throwing down another $80+ for an official MS wireless adapter?
you can purchase a wireless bridge, or a router which works as a bridge. If you have an old linksys router ( version 3 and older) you can install dd-wrt firmware and convert the router to a bridge with the added convenience of being a switch/hub at the same time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 8

I had an IP conflict for a while with the 360 hooked up directly to the router. Updated my router's
firmware and I have not had a problem since.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:15 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi151
no MAC address information is required, unless there is MAC security enabled on the router.

but the rest of what odogg was saying is correct; just assign an ip address to the 360 manually. give it an ip address, subnet mask, and gateway (which is your router). you might also want to put in the DNS server info manually as well while you are at it.
Thanks for the responses!

I'm researching this online now, but in case I can't fine how to do this.... how do I set the static IP? Is this a setting that I change on the 360, or do I change it in my router settings? I'm looking on my router settings site, and see a place to change the basic setup from auto to static, but I'm not quite sure how to assign anything to external components, such as 360 and Wii.

Thanks for the help guys! Its really appreciated!
Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 8

Yea i want to kno where i can set my static IP for my 360...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »